follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 11-18-2018, 12:04 PM   #29
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I find the long press mode to actually be quite predictable in the snow. Ediff and ebfd can be very handy when on patchy surfaces with very different friction coefficients.

If you are actually drifting and hit the brakes, ABS can engage because you are sliding (on purpose) and cause bad things. I remember reading a couple of threads on here about that. So I'll refer you back to Google.

It's not. It's just doing something cars couldn't do before computers.
And what bout that e diff? E stands for electronic?
If so what so bad in that that i might want to shut it off?

Plus if its electronic diff(like e lsd) why is it neccesary on a car that already has a mechanic lsd?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
danielmailrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:06 PM   #30
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielmailrs View Post
Great explanation.thx
Any real reason to take the abs off too?
Looks like the most unbothering nanny of all lol.

And as for that e diff 'electronic diff? How is this one being a nanny
When rallying on loose surfaces like snow/gravel it makes sense to intentionally spin wheels on launch and lock wheels when braking for shortest braking possible (in some situations). - Wheels dig through water/slush/mud/snow/sand to harder surface below and get more grip.

When on hard pavement, like tarmac or ice, you can get more grip w/o wheel spin on acceleration or complete lock when braking (and also to not get bald patching on tires due locked wheel braking). Also on dry tarmac grip falls off a lot after slip.

Hence sometimes in rally there are situations to not use even ABS.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
danielmailrs (11-18-2018), Ultramaroon (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #31
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

Well as long as the pedal dance finish the nannies shift its all good.
Dont want any computer to touch and help my driving !

The Following User Says Thank You to danielmailrs For This Useful Post:
TorontoNat (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #32
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
I find the long press mode to actually be quite predictable in the snow. Ediff and ebfd can be very handy when on patchy surfaces with very different friction coefficients.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I've never had VSC intervene after a long press of the TC button, I've had the car sliding in different kinds of conditions.
Just different strokes. It's personal for me. That thing raises my blood pressure every time it pulls throttle because of a little lateral acceleration.

The way it intervenes with the long press is more subtle. I wouldn't mind the e-diff if there was a way to enable/disable it on the fly. I might even choose to use it.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #33
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Plus if its electronic diff(like e lsd) why is it neccesary on a car that already has a mechanic lsd?
I don't remember when or where the term became popular but it's misleading. It's no more than a specific application of the EBFD. When the computer detects single wheel spin in the rear end it knows that a wheel has loosened enough for the torsen to let go. It feathers the brake on the loose wheel to bring it back under control. You can feel it go "GRRRRRR."
Old 11-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #34
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
I don't remember when or where the term became popular but it's misleading. It's no more than a specific application of the EBFD. When the computer detects single wheel spin in the rear end it knows that a wheel has loosened enough for the torsen to let go. It feathers the brake on the loose wheel to bring it back under control. You can feel it go "GRRRRRR."
Then i dont think its working after the 5sec button.
I had several 180deg spins already

Old 11-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #35
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

Unrelated to the diff. Spins happen when you have too much speed for the corner and the preponderance of traction is up front (and you don't use that traction and carry it as a drift). Once both rear wheels are loose, there's nothing EBD can do to fix it.
danielmailrs (11-18-2018), Spuds (11-18-2018), Ultramaroon (11-18-2018), wparsons (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 02:33 PM   #36
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
What @cjd said...

I'm referring to one rear wheel spinning as if on a frozen puddle, which is actually one of the reasons it can be handy.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #37
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

Cool how rwd is a conpletely different world compared to fwd .
Its kinda sucks to drive this car and once you think you get it you realize that the full off isnt fully off and now your not sure if its the car that fixed you or its just you as a driver.
Well that to be seen soon
I hate computers @CARS!!

Old 11-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #38
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well as long as the pedal dance finish the nannies shift its all good.
Dont want any computer to touch and help my driving !
Except for many driving skills/reflexes are not always upto task to always do right inputs in all the situations out there. Hence better leave some safeguards on when driving on public roads which is uncontrollable environment, where are too many possible uncontrollable variables (including ones not under your own control, eg. other drivers performing unpredictable/dangerous maneuvers, pedestrians, kids, pets, critters), where one doesn't know everything with road/weather/grip down to smallest details all along driven route, where one may simply drive tired, with dulled or diverted attention and so on, and where bigger mistakes often result in much more expensive or dangerous results to one's budget or one's or others health.
Better leave driving with no nannies to track, where due repeated lapping one learns track/grip/specifics much better and can experiment with learning limits, where it's controlled environment with specific rules, not someone from opposite direction lane weering off on yours, where if done mistake, it costs less (eg. sliding on grass after spin off the track vs hitting kerb/concrete wall/other car on public roads).

Hence my own choice is to drive with VSC sport on public roads, and pedal dance for track. And even on track, on rainy days i sometimes choose drive with VSC sport mode, especially if i don't know that track well. BTW, one can also use triggering of nannies as indicator, that one drives wrong . Eg. - learning treshold braking with ABS triggering as indicator that one braking too hard for given grip, or SC indicating that one gone into curve too fast or driving inputs were wrong or not smooth enough for given turn/grip, resulting in spin that nanny needed to correct and so on ..
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
danielmailrs (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #39
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchx View Post
Except for many driving skills/reflexes are not always upto task to always do right inputs in all the situations out there. Hence better leave some safeguards on when driving on public roads which is uncontrollable environment, where are too many possible uncontrollable variables (including ones not under your own control, eg. other drivers performing unpredictable/dangerous maneuvers, pedestrians, kids, pets, critters), where one doesn't know everything with road/weather/grip down to smallest details all along driven route, where one may simply drive tired, with dulled or diverted attention and so on, and where bigger mistakes often result in much more expensive or dangerous results to one's budget or one's or others health.
Better leave driving with no nannies to track, where due repeated lapping one learns track/grip/specifics much better and can experiment with learning limits, where it's controlled environment with specific rules, not someone from opposite direction lane weering off on yours, where if done mistake, it costs less (eg. sliding on grass after spin off the track vs hitting kerb/concrete wall/other car on public roads).

Hence my own choice is to drive with VSC sport on public roads, and pedal dance for track. And even on track, on rainy days i sometimes choose drive with VSC sport mode, especially if i don't know that track well. BTW, one can also use triggering of nannies as indicator, that one drives wrong . Eg. - learning treshold braking with ABS triggering as indicator that one braking too hard for given grip, or SC indicating that one gone into curve too fast or driving inputs were not smooth enough, resulting in spin and so on ..
Of course
Well spoken
Me personally when im.on track i rather take off all the nannies and slowdown if require than driving fast with nannies.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #40
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
'No LSD?????' all I see each time this thread appears..
Attached Images

JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
KoreanJesus (03-08-2019), Spuds (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #41
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Cool how rwd is a conpletely different world compared to fwd .
Its kinda sucks to drive this car and once you think you get it you realize that the full off isnt fully off and now your not sure if its the car that fixed you or its just you as a driver.
Well that to be seen soon
I hate computers @CARS!!

yes, FWD is completely different from RWD, but I'm not sure how much different for any of the stuff we're talking about here.

As for sucking...Not really? Between pedal dance or just plain 3 second off, there's very little happening to 'correct' - one or the other is likely to work better for you, and except for hard-core drifting should be all you need.

If you really want everything (including ABS) off, find yourself an 86nanny with the ABS feature.

FWIW, I was locking up the wheel with ABS off where I was hitting ice mode with just pedal dance (not really surprising, it's reacting to what is effectively complete lack of traction in one wheel) and had no particular troubles with just the 3 second press in the same spot.

The 'interference' here is still significantly less obvious than the 17+ 'Track mode' which let me do some pretty crazy stuff, but still made itself very obvious.

YMMV.
danielmailrs (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #42
danielmailrs
Asphalt grinder

The abs can be turned off by taking out its fuse?
Tbh the abs is the last nanny that bothers me..
I barely gets it on -i learn how to drive the car without getting into the abs .