follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #71
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalprodigy View Post
Phobos512 that stinks; I hope my dealership doesn't take the same position. It's NOT normal because it wasn't happening during the 10k miles that I drove it. Perhaps try different dealership in your area??

Ron Good to know it takes only couple of days if part is in stock.

Just to document the issue during the test drive, I'll keep my dashcam turned on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
Contact corporate, look for service reps on Subaru forums and find a higher-up contact. The issue is 100% not normal. The grind is from the 4th gear syncro failing and not being able to properly match trans speed when shifting during higher RPM.

Not sure how bad yours is, but mine made a very audible grinding sound when shifting to 4th.

Next nearest dealer is 45 min away. But yeah, it's definitely not normal. My car's been doing it for something like 8k mi now.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:19 AM   #72
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
Next nearest dealer is 45 min away. But yeah, it's definitely not normal. My car's been doing it for something like 8k mi now.
I had to take mine to Sewell Subaru in Dallas, which is about a hour drive. I had my girlfriend bring a second car but its worth the drive to get sorted out. However I don't see why pressuring your local dealer would not work, as its a warranty fix covered by Subaru. They get paid for the work and you get your car fixed.

Maybe they just don't want to do it? Shitty techs? Overbooked for repairs already? Who knows.
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #73
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Ron] View Post
I had to take mine to Sewell Subaru in Dallas, which is about a hour drive. I had my girlfriend bring a second car but its worth the drive to get sorted out. However I don't see why pressuring your local dealer would not work, as its a warranty fix covered by Subaru. They get paid for the work and you get your car fixed.

Maybe they just don't want to do it? Shitty techs? Overbooked for repairs already? Who knows.
This was last year I tried. I mentioned it during my first oil change when I was totally stock. They couldn't find anything unusual (they claimed). I actually brought a few posts out of this thread from the forum. I've never had good luck with dealers; I don't know what it is. I've lived in three different states and I've always been jerked around for some reason. I've brought freakin' recall notices and TDs printed right off their websites showing my VIN being in an affected batch and still they have told me nothing was wrong (not with the FR-S, this was in the past).

I don't think they're overbooked as while they're the only dealer in the area I've never been able to not just walk in and have service immediately.

However, this is a Toyota/Scion dealer; not a Subaru dealer as mine is an FR-S. Obviously it's the same car, and they know this but...I dunno. The place 45 minutes away there is both a Subaru and a Toyota/Scion dealer within a mile so they could at least conceivably talk to each other?

I mean, the shit is clear as day. I've even taken video of it. It's a horrid crunch. Usually I have to shift back at least half way towards third and then go back toward fourth to get it to engage when this happens. Sometimes it still just goes in though.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #74
BRZoomTX

Drives: '13 BRZ
Find contact info for a regional manager or contact corporate directly still. Its a known problem and is covered under warranty. Dealer has no reason to deny you.
BRZoomTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 06:59 PM   #75
dentalprodigy

Drives: 00 Accord LX, 14 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quick update: Took my FRS to local dealer. Thankfully got a more receptive, open minded service adviser than my previous visits. Their tech agreed that 4th gear is rough when it is engaged. Since it was a weekend and Subaru service center is closed, they will keep the car and contact the Subaru service tech on Monday. Honestly, I thought transmission was made by Toyota (TL70 or w/e according to my brief googling sesh). That subaru tech will decide weather to do additional testing and determine if they want to rebuild existing transmission OR replace it entirely. It will take couple of days minimum.

I got a '14 Camry SE - auto as a courtesy vehicle w/ a backup camera so that's a nice change of pace.

I'm attaching the dashcam footage of the testdrive the service tech took. It's uneventful because you can't really hear the 4th gear "grind".

Old 02-17-2016, 03:25 AM   #76
zypher10

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
any updates on this? i have 3rd to 4th gear grind.
But my warranty expired..
zypher10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #77
dentalprodigy

Drives: 00 Accord LX, 14 FRS
The tech decided that the grind was in 4,5,6 gears. Dealership replaced entire transmission and it has been perfect since (fingers crossed). I think I dropped it off Saturday. Monday the special Subaru tech evaluated it. Tuesday I had a phonecall that my car was ready for pickup.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #78
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalprodigy View Post
I think I dropped it off Saturday. Monday the special Subaru tech evaluated it. Tuesday I had a phonecall that my car was ready for pickup.
damn thats some gitter done quickness
bababooey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #79
bababooey

Drives: BRZ SWP Limited -6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZoomTX View Post
I had to take mine to Sewell Subaru in Dallas,
havent visited them yet, but gives me hope i have a chance to resolve that issue. as i mentioned in another thread, that 3-4 shift is right about merging speed onto the highways.
bababooey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #80
86Tony

Drives: 2015 AOZORA EDITION
had same issue on my 15 they told me driver error which i never even had my first oil changed LOL and voided my warrenty cause i had a aftermarket front pipe long story short. had to replace out of my own pocket. so fuck subaru. also a new tranny from subaru is much cheaper then at scion
86Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #81
TRDCal

Drives: Firestorm MT Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5AD86D View Post
I posted the TSB with a new topic under the TSB/warranty section for ALL to see. Hope that helps.
I can't seem to find this TSB, does anyone know where it is? I read alot of threads about different trans problems and the only transmission TSB in the stickies is for the shifter rattle.

My problem is exactly as described in this thread no more no less, it works flawlessly for every gear change except for 3rd - 4th at higher rpm.

Brought it to the dealer (which is an hour away) and ask if I could go for a test drive with the mechanic, he said sure let me just pull it into the shop first and check things out. 2-3hrs later service rep comes up to me, two mechanics took it for a drive and couldn't replicate the problem. Was not impressed. Anyways, in need to go back for something else so I'd like to return with some information about this problem.
TRDCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #82
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDCal View Post
I can't seem to find this TSB, does anyone know where it is? I read alot of threads about different trans problems and the only transmission TSB in the stickies is for the shifter rattle.

My problem is exactly as described in this thread no more no less, it works flawlessly for every gear change except for 3rd - 4th at higher rpm.

Brought it to the dealer (which is an hour away) and ask if I could go for a test drive with the mechanic, he said sure let me just pull it into the shop first and check things out. 2-3hrs later service rep comes up to me, two mechanics took it for a drive and couldn't replicate the problem. Was not impressed. Anyways, in need to go back for something else so I'd like to return with some information about this problem.
How old is your car?

I had this issue for the first ~10k miles or less. Has totally gone away since. I'm not worried.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #83
Yoda

Drives: Crystal Black BRZ(Sophia)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have the same issues sometimes I can't even get it to go in first gear.
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #84
TRDCal

Drives: Firestorm MT Monogram
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
How old is your car?

I had this issue for the first ~10k miles or less. Has totally gone away since. I'm not worried.
It's a 14 that just rolled over 10k kms. So about 6000 miles. I only drive it seasonally and even then not very much. I'm fine with it if it goes away, like I say the transmission is amazing otherwise, no issues at all. And I don't necessary want some mechanic that gets paid by the job rushing through a transmission replacement but I just don't want to leave it in case it gets worse and i'm out of a warranty.

It's done it since new. Noticed it the first high rpm shift 3-4 after the engine break-in was done.
TRDCal is offline   Reply With Quote