follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 03-05-2020, 09:38 PM   #169
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
I'm a functional kind of guy... So forgive me when I ask, why do you need body armor bars to protect a "nearly impenetrable exoskeleton"?
it's to protect that really expensive windshield so they don't have to deal with this!
https://www.sfgate.com/cars/article/...r-13796037.php
Dadhawk (05-25-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #170
p1l0t

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Hyperblue
Thanked 9,371 Times in 4,813 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Bulletproof!? I need dis.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
p1l0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:54 AM   #171
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I don't understand the need for autopilot I have to much anxiety to let a vehicle drive me around, I understand EV's and battery cars but Autopilot I don't need it and never will.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #172
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Saw lenos new video with musk and the truck. Musk says it needs to be 5 percent smaller. Truck looks better in operation than it does on a stage imo.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #173
p1l0t

I am willing to accept full autopilot once I'm not held liable anymore. I want to sit in the back and drink a coffee while working on my laptop and have the company that made the car have to insure it. Otherwise I'm driving. Nannies are fine if I can disable them on rare occasion.

The Following User Says Thank You to p1l0t For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 11:50 AM   #174
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
I am willing to accept full autopilot once I'm not held liable anymore. I want to sit in the back and drink a coffee while working on my laptop and have the company that made the car have to insure it. Otherwise I'm driving. Nannies are fine if I can disable them on rare occasion.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how does that work in your "office"? Do you fly anything that has a full real autopilot (I would think so) and even when you are, don't you have to stay engaged yourself?

Just like with aircraft autopilots, if the fault can be shown to be caused by something wrong with the autopilot, the manufacturer will likely be held accountable, but I doubt they assume accountability just because you engage it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #175
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

I'm still leaning towards the Hummer EV if i was going to buy a EV truck, particularly if it looks like the ones R&T have in their articles. Call me a traditionalist I guess...

https://www.caranddriver.com/gmc/hummer-ev-suv

Old 05-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #176
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but how does that work in your "office"? Do you fly anything that has a full real autopilot (I would think so) and even when you are, don't you have to stay engaged yourself?

Just like with aircraft autopilots, if the fault can be shown to be caused by something wrong with the autopilot, the manufacturer will likely be held accountable, but I doubt they assume accountability just because you engage it.
We have full auto pilots that can do everything except takeoff and land for the most part. I get paid to babysit that one though. Paying extra to have something take something off my plate better actually allow me to make money doing something else otherwise it's a waste IMHO. Also I don't want to be liable if I'm not the one driving. Airplanes mid-air collisions are the least likely of accidents instead of the most common. Also I die almost for sure, so worried about the liability, I'm not. If my Tesla Autopilot gets into a fender bender I want to be able to say sue Tesla.. We are a long way from manufacturers taking any responsibility on public roads though.

Dadhawk (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #177
soundman98

now i'm really curious. if a pilot sets one of the full-autopilot systems up after takeoff, and then goes to attend to the passengers-- if something happens despite the odds it shouldn't, would it still be considered 'pilot error'?
p1l0t (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:29 PM   #178
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
now i'm really curious. if a pilot sets one of the full-autopilot systems up after takeoff, and then goes to attend to the passengers-- if something happens despite the odds it shouldn't, would it still be considered 'pilot error'?
Our pro @p1l0t can speak up, but yes it would be pilot error.

There is no circumstance where a pilot would be allowed to leave the cockpit unattended, autopilot or not.

Also, you have to remember autopilots in planes are not designed to avoid obstacles or follow roads. They operate in a much simpler, less target rich environment than an automobile.

Even the most sophisticated aircraft autopilot primarily assumes that is has a clear path in which to operate. Those that can land the plane (only the big boys have this), do not taxi it to the gate. The plane knows where the center of the runway is by coordinates and it follows the glide slope to land. It doesn't look to see if there is another plane, or a deer, on the runway. I'm not sure there is an autopilot designed to take the plane off.

That is why, at least per Musk, it's OK to use "autopilot" as the name of the system in the car. It's because to some extent it does act exactly like one in a plane. If the situation is right, it can guide the car fine but you still need a human to handle the most sophisticated situations and as a fail-safe. It's flawed thinking in a car but that is the thought behind it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #179
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoto86 View Post
I don't understand the need for seatbelts. I have too much anxiety to drive around restrained. I understand EV's and battery cars, but seatbelts, I don't need it and never will.
Fixed.

https://blog.esurance.com/seat-belt-history/

There will be a point in time when an autopilot system will be no different in the minds of drivers than using seatbelts, having airbags or antilock brakes. Your risk is significantly less having it than not having it, when using it correctly. Once it reaches full autonomy, this will become obvious.

I could imagine that insurance rates will be cheaper for autopilot vehicles than non-autopilot vehicles, and that the cameras and computer systems will make the few traffic collisions simple for insurance companies in terms of determining who was at fault. I could imagine a future where it is mandated that everyone drive with autopilot engaged, no different than needing seat belts and air bags. In fact, cars without steering wheels are probably not far away--less than fifty years guaranteed, but probably much sooner.
Old 05-25-2020, 06:52 PM   #180
p1l0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Yes, like @Dadhawk says the Pilot-In-Command (PIC) is always responsible for the safety flight from beginning to end. Even if the Second-In-Command (SIC) AND the autopilot are engaged the PIC is still responsible! Yes the PIC can get up and use the lav, but if his SIC screws up the PIC is in-trouble. This is just the way aviation works, the Captain is always 100% responsible for the outcome of the flight. Alas, I get paid a pretty penny for this burden...

Dadhawk (05-26-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:54 PM   #181
soundman98

Quote:
Originally Posted by p1l0t View Post
Yes, like @Dadhawk says the Pilot-In-Command (PIC) is always responsible for the safety flight from beginning to end. Even if the Second-In-Command (SIC) AND the autopilot are engaged the PIC is still responsible! Yes the PIC can get up and use the lav, but if his SIC screws up the PIC is in-trouble. This is just the way aviation works, the Captain is always 100% responsible for the outcome of the flight. Alas, I get paid a pretty penny for this burden...

then i really don't think we'll ever see cars move away from the same burdens.
Dadhawk (05-26-2020), p1l0t (05-25-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 06:39 AM   #182
evoto86

Drives: manual Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Fixed.

https://blog.esurance.com/seat-belt-history/

There will be a point in time when an autopilot system will be no different in the minds of drivers than using seatbelts, having airbags or antilock brakes. Your risk is significantly less having it than not having it, when using it correctly. Once it reaches full autonomy, this will become obvious.

I could imagine that insurance rates will be cheaper for autopilot vehicles than non-autopilot vehicles, and that the cameras and computer systems will make the few traffic collisions simple for insurance companies in terms of determining who was at fault. I could imagine a future where it is mandated that everyone drive with autopilot engaged, no different than needing seat belts and air bags. In fact, cars without steering wheels are probably not far away--less than fifty years guaranteed, but probably much sooner.
Just as the government sucks the fun out of driving my best years will be behind me, great news.

Dystopian future is looking brighter everyday.
evoto86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers