follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #11215
WNDSRFR

Drives: FR-S,GTI
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In my research I found this motor.
https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php...product_id=481
I think it would probably work. Good for 20 HP and fits in the palm of your hand.

We need to start a new thread called Phantom ESC Troubleshooting and Repair Guide.
Gonna go see the reverse engineering guy tomorrow. See what he has to say.
WNDSRFR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WNDSRFR For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-16-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:13 PM   #11216
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
In my research I found this motor.
https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php...product_id=481
I think it would probably work. Good for 20 HP and fits in the palm of your hand.

We need to start a new thread called Phantom ESC Troubleshooting and Repair Guide.
Gonna go see the reverse engineering guy tomorrow. See what he has to say.
Lets invest some money and start making ESC so people can buy lol
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zc06_kisstherain For This Useful Post:
Aztec (09-17-2022), DAEMANO (10-16-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 05:59 PM   #11217
Qwimby1

Drives: 14 FRS Monogram, 05 Mazdasped Miata
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I finally took a good look at the Torqamp site and realized it's essentially the same system as the Phantom. I'll bet they were aware of the Phantom when they designed theirs. Compressor, controller, throttle-activated switch along with some other options and a power box which is the biggest difference but still the same principal. Their install video has them using the back seat for the power box, which could solve the problem of what to do with what are laughingly called back seats in our cars. :-}

They aren't designed for any specific cars so the intake would require a little fitment, but overall should be relatively simple. Boost is 5.8lb. The site isn't very informative about the company so I'd want to see enough financials to know if they'll be around for a while, and I'd particularly want to know about warranty and replacement parts which I don't think I saw anywhere. That's all of course if I ever have to replace my ESC.

I also got my MX OBD out and now can read oil temp and absolute throttle position, which is terrific for controlling boost. The 2lb kick comes in right at 60% and 5 at 80%. I wish it had oil pressure but I don't think there's any way to get that with my old, discontinued MX. I don't think even the newer ones have that.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 06:00 PM   #11218
Qwimby1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc06_kisstherain View Post
Lets invest some money and start making ESC so people can buy lol
Not a bad idea!
Old 09-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #11219
WNDSRFR

There's only two reasons I can think of as to why Rob quit producing these things. Either he was losing money on them or there was some kind of patent infringement. And I'm betting on the patent infringement. I got a feeling he got sued and everything was confiscated. Otherwise you would think he would at least have some spare parts.
So building these things again might not be a good idea.
But, you are allowed to repair them.

Maybe TorqAmp had something to do with it?
Old 09-15-2022, 01:18 PM   #11220
WNDSRFR

Update on my compressor debacle.

I had my damaged wheel 3D scanned. I had it scanned to a STL file with the intention of converting it to a DWG, modify it in AutoCad, have it printed in plastic, and go from there. Didn't work. I couldn't convert it to a usable DWG file and finally gave up on trying to reinvent the wheel.
So I started looking for something that might work. I needed a wheel with 98mm exducer, 65mm inducer and 8mm bore. I totally lucked into finding this on ebay. It has 99mm exducer, 67mm inducer and 8mm bore. For $34. I figured I could put it in a lathe and cut it down to size. Didn't need to, it fits perfectly. The only thing I have to do is remove a bunch of material from the back to lighten it up. It weighs just about twice as much as the original. I'm really starting to get my hopes up of fixing this thing.

The new wheel is a Holset HX50 HX55 3593686.
Attached Images

Old 09-15-2022, 06:49 PM   #11221
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNDSRFR View Post
Update on my compressor debacle.

I had my damaged wheel 3D scanned. I had it scanned to a STL file with the intention of converting it to a DWG, modify it in AutoCad, have it printed in plastic, and go from there. Didn't work. I couldn't convert it to a usable DWG file and finally gave up on trying to reinvent the wheel.
So I started looking for something that might work. I needed a wheel with 98mm exducer, 65mm inducer and 8mm bore. I totally lucked into finding this on ebay. It has 99mm exducer, 67mm inducer and 8mm bore. For $34. I figured I could put it in a lathe and cut it down to size. Didn't need to, it fits perfectly. The only thing I have to do is remove a bunch of material from the back to lighten it up. It weighs just about twice as much as the original. I'm really starting to get my hopes up of fixing this thing.

The new wheel is a Holset HX50 HX55 3593686.
That sounds awesome!
assuming you machine the back to reduce weight, do you have a way to rebalance it?
Old 09-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #11222
WNDSRFR

I'm hoping that turning it down won't affect the balance. And it is "only" running at 50,000 rpm for seconds at a time. But there are balancing services available if needed.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:46 PM   #11223
Qwimby1

What you are doing is remarkable. Could be a big help to all of us some day.
Old 09-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #11224
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
I get that you love this system. i also love this system for sure but i gave up on mine since there is no support if i need it to repair or replace wearable parts.
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 02:30 AM   #11225
Aztec
Lost in the twisties

Drives: 2014 BRZ Dark Gray Metallic
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I get that you love this system. i also love this system for sure but i gave up on mine since there is no support if i need it to repair or replace wearable parts.
Yeah my ESC is sitting on my shelf in the garage.
Switched to the Edelbrock myself!
Aztec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 07:27 AM   #11226
WNDSRFR

Quote:
No way I'm giving up on mine. I just bought new batteries!
It seems like the only wearable parts are the batteries and the bearings and the fan in the controller and the switch. I discovered my switch is broken but still works. It looks like there are two switches in the switch. The first switch is broken. But it's not a priority.
Now I just need to find a machine shop with an old fashioned manual lathe. Every place around here is into aerospace big bucks stuff and don't have time for a hobbyist.
Old 09-18-2022, 11:39 AM   #11227
Qwimby1

I find I don't activate mine much because I got quite a bit of gain from my Borla header, Werks free-flow cat front pipe and E85 with OFT tune. Based on that, I'm hoping it will last a while considering how much more others have used theirs. With new batteries and everything, I'm in it for about 2K, compared to at least 6K for a regular SC which I couldn't install myself and would have to pay my wrench.

My biggest worry is E85 availability. I get it now a half mile from my house, but it wasn't available there for a while. The next closest station is a 25-mile round trip.

If the ESC died and I couldn't get E85, I'd probably look around for a Cayman. I don't think I'd be happy with the FRS at near-stock performance after running the setup I have now.
Old 09-18-2022, 12:10 PM   #11228
WNDSRFR

Yeah
E85 is nice. There's one station 25 miles away I used to get it from when I was working. I would pass it every day. But now it's 25 miles away. Not worth it.

And you think it would be bad with an ESC and no E85? Try driving with neither after having either one or the other or both for nine years. It's a little hard to get used to no torque at all.

Yeah, I have to agree with the "this car is slow" folks. Because it is.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive