follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-26-2022, 07:51 PM   #29
autosenses

Drives: 22 Raven 86, 19 STI, 15MK7 SE daily
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAcomposition View Post
Best of luck with the order! I added the short throw shifter to my order as well.
are the optioned short shifter dealer installed or factory?
autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 09:37 PM   #30
Spacemane969

Drives: 2013 ARGENTO A/T
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Yeah, the red to me, really stands out. And it doesn't seem like many have ordered reds. I was torn between red, the dark gray metallic (can't think of the exact same now), and Crystal White.

I decide to go red because of the interior stitching. And the red is the least dull color to me.

Yeah, even then MSRP is really only acceptable to me because of the current global market/supply issues. When I bought my '15 BRZ back in Oct '14 I think I got 1800 off MSRP.
What's the difference in stitching and is it only on the red model?
Spacemane969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2022, 10:00 PM   #31
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flarpswitch View Post
I never understood the model year designation and actual manufacture date connection. My friends who bought domestic brands would talk about waiting until fall to get the next year's model as if it were a loaf of bread with a 'Best by date' so it would be worth more when it came time to trade in or sell it. When Subaru came out with the 2014 Forester which was a big change from the previous generation, they ended production of the 2013 model year very early to start production of the 2014. I saw the 2014 at a car show in January of 2013 and got ours in April of that year. It was at the same car show that I saw the BRZ. It was April of 2018 when I finally got around to buy a BRZ and I went to order a 2018 model, but the big push by the dealer to sell me the 2017 BRZ on the lot drove me to another dealer to get a 2017 BRZ in the color I wanted at a better price as well. My 2017 BRZ had a manufacture date of 10/2017 so it wasn't something that was laying around since the last quarter of 2016. An example of how haywire the model year and manufacture date goes nuts is my 2018 Winnebago Navion motor home was built in the first quarter of 2017 on a Mercedes-Benz Sprinter chassis built 09/2016. When I ordered the particular build, it got in too late for the 2017 model years, so I was told. That got me a small price increase on the base model, but all the extra features came at the original 2017 price. I also got most of the features found on the 2017, but discovered when the 2018 brochures finally came out, many of the options were discontinued. What year is it really? Well, it depends on what you want to do. For registration and insurance, it is a 2018. For warranty, it is time and mileage from the date of delivery. For the actual nuts and bolts servicing, the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter is a 2016, so I have to go to that parts catalog. For something that is third party such as the German made tankless hot water heater, I would have to refer to the model number and the date of manufacture in case there was a mid-year change. For something that was engineered and manufactured at the Winnebago factory, well good luck. Often it is a matter of going through parts catalogs and it is like going to the police station and looking at mug shots to find the right match.
Your experience exactly matches The Wikipedia article:

For purposes such as VINs and emissions control, regulations allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 1 of the previous calendar year. For example, a 2019 model year vehicle can legally go on sale starting January 1, 2018.[7] This has resulted in a few cars in the following model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL Super Bowl in February. A notable example of an early model year launch would be the Ford Mustang, introduced as an early 1965 model (informally referred to as "19641⁄2") in April 1964 at the World's Fair, several months before the usual start of the 1965 model year in August 1964.

For recreational vehicles, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission allows a manufacturer to use a model year up to two years before the date that the vehicle was manufactured.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 12:11 AM   #32
Flarpswitch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Ltd, 2019 Ascent
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, even then MSRP is really only acceptable to me because of the current global market/supply issues. When I bought my '15 BRZ back in Oct '14 I think I got 1800 off MSRP.[/QUOTE]
I can only guess how going forward when it come time to buy a new car what the strategy will be. In April of 2018 I went to the dealer where I had been already waiting three months on the order for the 2019 Ascent. I had my checkbook on the table ready to order a 2018 BRZ Limited and the sales manager stepped in the middle of the deal and tried to push the lone 2017 BRZ on the lot. You shave seen the look on the sales lady’s face. She was pissed. BTW, she owned a BRZ that she just had wrapped and tricked out. The 2017 was priced well, but not my first pick for color. I ended up at a different dealer getting a 2017 in the color that I originally wanted and another $1,200 less. The MSRP with the option was about $30,500 and I paid $26,700. I ended up going back there to buy the Ascent after canceling the original order. Saved $4,500 on that deal. Sold the 2017 BRZ last November for $25,000 but paid about $34,000 MSRP for the 2022 BRZ. I set a limit of $10,000 out of pocket to make the the new car happen and it worked out. It looks like it will be MSRP from now on and they want you to be thankful for that much. Then they load the car with non-factory aftermarket nonsense and get you to finance the package. Another thing is if you make up your mind, don’t hesitate or you will be disappointed. If I waited just a little I’d be waiting on the 2023 MY car. Recently I was shopping for HiFi speakers and had my mind made up, but I got distracted and then the speakers were back ordered nationally. When they were available again the pair went from $2,000 to $2,500. Thanks a lot Lunchbox Joe and gang for the inflation. I went ahead and ordered thinking that they didn’t really go up in price, it was the dollar that went down.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:32 AM   #33
Flarpswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
Your experience exactly matches The Wikipedia article:

For purposes such as VINs and emissions control, regulations allow cars of a given model year to be sold starting on January 1 of the previous calendar year. For example, a 2019 model year vehicle can legally go on sale starting January 1, 2018.[7] This has resulted in a few cars in the following model year being introduced in advertisements during the NFL Super Bowl in February. A notable example of an early model year launch would be the Ford Mustang, introduced as an early 1965 model (informally referred to as "19641⁄2") in April 1964 at the World's Fair, several months before the usual start of the 1965 model year in August 1964.

For recreational vehicles, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission allows a manufacturer to use a model year up to two years before the date that the vehicle was manufactured.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_year
I remember standing in line at the Ford Pavilion at the fair and they had the Mustang up on rotating platforms. People were going ooh and aah. I wasn’t impressed because earlier I got to ride in the Chrysler Gas-Turbine car. When you are 13 back then, anything space age was going to steal the show. Later on, I warmed up to the car when a guy across the street got a Mustang. It was a hardtop, 6 cylinder with a floor mounted 3 speed shift and an AM radio. He just got out of the Navy and everything he had went into that car. A few years later, a buddy got a 1967 Mustang convertible 289 CID with a four barrel carburetor. It had 8-Track tape player. We had no trouble picking up girls. Good times. Now I work on getting in and out of my BRZ and not falling out of the door. Good times.
fredzy (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 09:32 AM   #34
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,229 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemane969 View Post
What's the difference in stitching and is it only on the red model?
The interior stitching/accents is red on all colors of the car. So I figured I'd go with red on the exterior to tie it all together.

Also already plan on going gloss black on the wheels. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go with the STi aero pieces. I'll probably wait and see what Verus comes up with.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:38 PM   #35
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
The interior stitching/accents is red on all colors of the car.
So I figured I'd go with red on the exterior to tie it all together.
Excellent plan.
I just saw a red one last week, great red.
I still like the dark grey.
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 03:59 PM   #36
Flarpswitch

Quote:
The interior stitching/accents is red on all colors of the car. So I figured I'd go with red on the exterior to tie it all together.

Also already plan on going gloss black on the wheels. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to go with the STi aero pieces. I'll probably wait and see what Verus comes up with.
I concur with the idea of the red/black aesthetic. I would wait on the wheels to see if they grow on you. I am a believer in sometimes less is more. I also believe that anything you add to the car has to have a some measurable performance enhancement and not just a 'Look'. Some of the add on doo-dads gives off a RICER vibe. One thing that has a practical side to it is the door handle cup protector. I could have used a clear appliqué on my 2017 BRZ as my fingernails scuffed up the area behind the door handle. I am more mindful now with my 2022. The STI door handle cup protector is black and it goes along with the red/black thing and it actually does something. I am just not sold on it completely. If I had a red car, I would have to put them in place and step back to see if it is more of a distraction that would cancel out any practical side. If the exterior graphics kit was black and not silver, I would take a serious look at that. That is all flash car stuff and only makes the car faster in your head.

On a side note; I saw a car sticker on a Porsche that said, "Honda Civic is not a sports car". Oooooh... that is hard. Of course I could not wait to bring that to the attention of a buddy who drives a Honda Si.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:09 PM   #37
DNAcomposition

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Quote:
Originally Posted by autosenses View Post
Hmmm, I'm actually not sure. The salesperson did mention a labor charge for the footwell illumination kit that I added as that will be added at the port, but didn't mention a charge for the shifter. So, maybe that one is factory-installed, but totally a guess.
DNAcomposition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 04:44 PM   #38
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by autosenses View Post
I'm not entirely sure. I think it comes factory installed the way it's on the build sheet.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #39
Flarpswitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAcomposition View Post
Hmmm, I'm actually not sure. The salesperson did mention a labor charge for the footwell illumination kit that I added as that will be added at the port, but didn't mention a charge for the shifter. So, maybe that one is factory-installed, but totally a guess.
I had the footwell illumination thing on my 2017 only because it was a car on the lot with a feature package with most everything I would have ordered anyway. When I ordered the 2022, I essentially duplicated the same thing: Limited, automatic, auto-dimming mirror/Homelink/compass, Rear Bumper Appliqué, Cargo Tray and instead of the footwell light, I went for the LED Upgrade on the Dome Light. That little upgrade I think is money better spent rather than making your white sneakers glow in the dark. After I ordered it and got a VON, I went back to see if I could add the footwell lights and all-weather mats. We decided to wait until after delivery to avoid redoing the order and potentially losing my place in the queue. I never added either. An LED upgrade to the trunk light would have been a nice add-on if it was available. The only thing I added to the mix before I wrote the check was the Starlink thing that lets me warm up the car and another way for my wife to track my whereabouts. About the 'Port Added' features. My dealer told me that they did all that stuff and that task was dumped on the dealer since they were going to do the pre-delivery work anyway. I don't know if that is SOP for all port of entry processing in all regions.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:21 PM   #40
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
The shifter is port installed
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
DNAcomposition (04-27-2022), OkieSnuffBox (04-27-2022), Tcoat (04-29-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:11 PM   #41
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
The shifter is port installed
I've always heard that term. So there are Subaru mechanics at the various ports when the car is unloaded off the boat to do this stuff? Or is it just some hack?

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 04-27-2022 at 11:36 PM.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2022, 11:12 PM   #42
OkieSnuffBox

Side note: I was surprised that I ordered yesterday about lunch time CST, and I received my email today with my VON.

But I know it doesn't really mean much other than Subaru has my order and put me in line somewhere.