follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
Diode Dynamics

Old 01-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #1
frznBRZ

Drives: 2015 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Aftermarket HID Issue

I purchased 6000K HID bulbs replacements from Diode Dynamics for my 2015 BRZ Limited. Upon opening the package I noticed 1 bulb from that set was visibly damaged, so Diode Dynamics sent me a brand new set (read: I never installed the first set, and I now have 3 perfectly fine HID bulbs). I installed the brand new set of 6000k HID bulbs and everything looked great. I do a lot of driving at night and I loved the improvement in vision that the 6000K HID bulbs offered. About 3 weeks into me having my 6000k HID bulbs installed, the drivers side bulb would go out after being on for a few minutes. To troubleshoot, I swapped out the driver side bulb for the 1 undamaged bub from the first set of HIDs I received from Diode Dynamics. After installing the other bulb, I turned on my headlights…all seemed great…but then the passenger side HID bulb started to go out after a few minutes of being on. I was baffled because I wasn’t even having issues with the passenger side bulb to begin with. I then swapped out both 6000K HID bulbs and put my OEM HID bulbs back in. I have not had an issue with bulbs going out since I put the OEM bulbs back in and it’s been a few months now.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I would love to use 6000K HID bulbs to match my LED fog light bulbs, plus the greater visibility is nice.

P.S. this post is not meant to be saying anything negative about Diode Dynamics. I think they are nice and always respond to my questions and are always willing to assist and work things out.
frznBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:22 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
@Diode Dynamics thoughts??
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
rosol16
Not A Member

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would first off say its probably not the bulbs but the headlight unit itself or something to do with the unit and the LED bulbs together
rosol16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rosol16 For This Useful Post:
carczar87 (02-15-2016)
Old 01-29-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
ryoma

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
it's the bulbs. you proved that fact by switching back to the OEM bulbs with no problems. keep in mind that no matter what, aftermarket bulbs will not be 100% problem free, especially non-OEM brands. though, DD has excellent customer service so they will take care of you. if you want good HID bulbs, pay the premium because they are more expensive for a reason. a set of $100+ bulbs cannot compare to a set of $30 bulbs.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #5
frznBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
@Diode Dynamics thoughts??
I already spoke with them through email about the issue a few months ago, but if they have any updates on the issue I would love to hear them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
it's the bulbs. you proved that fact by switching back to the OEM bulbs with no problems. keep in mind that no matter what, aftermarket bulbs will not be 100% problem free, especially non-OEM brands. though, DD has excellent customer service so they will take care of you. if you want good HID bulbs, pay the premium because they are more expensive for a reason. a set of $100+ bulbs cannot compare to a set of $30 bulbs.
@ryoma Do you have any particular brand you would recommend?
Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #6
ryoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by frznBRZ View Post
I already spoke with them through email about the issue a few months ago, but if they have any updates on the issue I would love to hear them.

@ryoma Do you have any particular brand you would recommend?
I currently have Osram 66440 CBI's in my car. the stock bulbs for the BRZ are Osram 66440 as well, just the non-CBI version. the CBI is about 5500k and has an almost pure white output, with a hint of blue. it is an expensive bulb though, and you need to be weary of knockoffs. I bought my bulbs from The Retrofit Source and I know that they carry legit bulbs.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:42 PM   #7
ndsleep612

Drives: Thee Argento Cricket
The Retrofit Source is the real deal for aftermarket HID bulbs. No such thing as cost effective if you want it done right the first time.
ndsleep612 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ndsleep612 For This Useful Post:
frznBRZ (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
frznBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I currently have Osram 66440 CBI's in my car. the stock bulbs for the BRZ are Osram 66440 as well, just the non-CBI version. the CBI is about 5500k and has an almost pure white output, with a hint of blue. it is an expensive bulb though, and you need to be weary of knockoffs. I bought my bulbs from The Retrofit Source and I know that they carry legit bulbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsleep612 View Post
The Retrofit Source is the real deal for aftermarket HID bulbs. No such thing as cost effective if you want it done right the first time.
Awesome, thanks guys! I'll give them a try.

Edit: I just purchased these: D4S Philips 42402 WX Ultinon

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...7#.Vq_krVIsA40

I will confirm if they work or not in a few weeks after install!

Last edited by frznBRZ; 02-01-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 05:59 PM   #9
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I would suggest working out the issue with @DiodeDynamics before dropping more money on bulbs IMHO

DD has a fantastic warranty and they are willing to work with you to fix your issue. Maybe try out at least one more set (*for free*) before abandoning a product you already paid for. Just my 2 pennies
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
Diode Dynamics (02-02-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
I would suggest working out the issue with @DiodeDynamics before dropping more money on bulbs IMHO

DD has a fantastic warranty and they are willing to work with you to fix your issue. Maybe try out at least one more set (*for free*) before abandoning a product you already paid for. Just my 2 pennies
You mean @Diode Dynamics

I too have not had one issue with them, there service is impeccable
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
Brayden_23 (02-02-2016), Diode Dynamics (02-02-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 AM   #11
Jusjones

Drives: 2013 Subaru Brz Satin White Pearl
Don't know about DD's stuff but The Retrofit Source carries morimoto bulbs and they are amazing quality with great customer service

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Jusjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 AM   #12
ryoma

you also have a chance of getting a defective bulb from TRS too with their Morimoto bulbs. both TRS and DD are great companies with excellent customer service, but really, what do you expect from bulbs made in a factory in China? TRS and DD probably have higher quality standards and rejects more bulbs though, while the eBay sellers sell bulbs for cheap at a cheaper quality. of course, that last statement was just my opinion and I have nothing to back it up lol. by going with TRS or DD, you are paying for the great customer service and not really the bulb (but it probably is still way better quality than the eBay cheapos)
Old 02-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #13
Davegixxer

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just to throw my 2 cents in here, yes, it sounds like you are having bulb issues. Maybe their bulbs do not like to "play nice" with factory ballasts. Cheap bulbs can screw your over here and there, but you can also get lucky some times with them. I had crap ddm tuning hid kit in a car that lasted 5 years with no problem, and are probably still fine but I got ride of the car and don't know for sure. I've also put ddm tuning hids in a customer's car 8 years ago, see him around every couple months and they are still kicking just fine, so cheap stuff isn't always bad, but in an application where you are trying to get some cheap aftermarket stuff to work off of factory stuff, you can run into issues. Go legit and spend the money to avoid future problems.
Davegixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #14
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davegixxer View Post
Just to throw my 2 cents in here, yes, it sounds like you are having bulb issues. Maybe their bulbs do not like to "play nice" with factory ballasts. Cheap bulbs can screw your over here and there, but you can also get lucky some times with them. I had crap ddm tuning hid kit in a car that lasted 5 years with no problem, and are probably still fine but I got ride of the car and don't know for sure. I've also put ddm tuning hids in a customer's car 8 years ago, see him around every couple months and they are still kicking just fine, so cheap stuff isn't always bad, but in an application where you are trying to get some cheap aftermarket stuff to work off of factory stuff, you can run into issues. Go legit and spend the money to avoid future problems.

DDM is not the same as Diode Dynamics nor do they have cheap quality stuff
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote