follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 08-24-2014, 06:27 PM   #1429
Laloosh

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
I hope this doesn't come off as mean or being a **** or anything, but I watched your video and there was definitely 9 tenths you could have taken off by slowing down more, turning in earlier and tightening your lines.
No worries I simply don't see it but that could be because I was there and have a biased view? I always welcome suggestions and different views on lines.
Laloosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #1430
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkltcow View Post
We also used a friend's FRS on the OEM Michelins for "The Prius Challenge". Everybody that drove the car had a blast and wanted a Toyobaru of their own. They all said it wasn't very fast on those tires, but it was certainly fun. After putting 15 runs into it basically hotlapping... the tires were so hot that you couldn't touch them, but the tread looked as perfect as the day he bought the car.
I'm surprised they lasted 15 runs. I'm in AZ so maybe that has something to do with it, but after 3 runs and no spraying the tires got so hot they were undrivable. I abandoned the run and slowed off the pace and still almost spun it a second time. Still to date the only time the car actually scared me.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 AM   #1431
Wheeljack

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chkltcow View Post
Back from the 24hr AutoX, and I want to go back to that "chasing settings" thing. I made a few runs in my car... was mid 45s and felt pretty good about it. I knew there was .3-.4 seconds I left on course... but whatever. Then I put a friend of mine in it that normally drives Kart Mod. On his 2nd run, he puts down a 44.5xx. "MOTHERF#$@ER! How in the hell do I find another second?"

So instead of tinkering with the car and chasing settings, I just had to go out and be faster. He showed me it was in the car, and I just had to find it. All my fault! Eventually I ran a 44.421 and learned a hell of a lot from chasing down that last second.

We also used a friend's FRS on the OEM Michelins for "The Prius Challenge". Everybody that drove the car had a blast and wanted a Toyobaru of their own. They all said it wasn't very fast on those tires, but it was certainly fun. After putting 15 runs into it basically hotlapping... the tires were so hot that you couldn't touch them, but the tread looked as perfect as the day he bought the car.
Overall, I like driving my car on Z2s, especially in the rain. However, I was sad to trash a perfectly good set of tires in order to get them. The car was much easier to slide around, and it was a lot of fun. The only problem was that I could never tell how much time I was leaving on the table due to the tires. Putting the Z2s made the car faster as well as showing me how much work I had to do as a driver. Perhpas we could lobby Michellin to offer contingency for a special primacy only class. I'd call the class Cstreet Racing All Primacys. Let's start writing the SCCA for the new C.R.A.P. tire class.
Wheeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wheeljack For This Useful Post:
chkltcow (08-25-2014), Kido1986 (08-25-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 08:08 AM   #1432
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hahah. 10/10. Would read again
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #1433
simpleisbest
Senior Citizen

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by renfield90 View Post
That 370Z move has been proposed in EVERY fastrack this year with the same response. It'll be interesting to see what happens after Nationals. I think it will move; I don't think the Miata guys are happy about running against someone with more than double the horsepower, we aren't happy, and probably the RX8 guys aren't super enthused either. Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what's for dinner...

If Fenter wins though, it becomes a little tough to make that argument. I'll be rooting for Stuart, and not just because I'm a West Coast guy.

I would like to think the 370Z would be moved, but I gotta feeling it might not. Looking at the Tour results for this year, it is tough to find a win by the 370Z other than the 1 by Jeff at Crows.

Personally, I think the results are misleading. The 370Z is much faster than the twins or any other car in the class, but there are just not that many top drivers competing with the car nationally. Jeff Stuart's 2nd place finish in SD isn't good data, for he was on fairly worn tires (SD surface rewards fuller tread) and Paul Brown's times are a bit slow for Spring Nats (rain maybe?). For Pros, there is good turnout and data, but the SEB doesn't take Pros into account for classing.

Either we need hope that the Z really shows it true potential at Nationals or start to send letters in to just push for the class change.
simpleisbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #1434
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
No worries I simply don't see it but that could be because I was there and have a biased view? I always welcome suggestions and different views on lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
I was third with a 55.5. I don't consider myself to be on the same level as Chris, but 9 tenths imo would be very difficult to find in my car on the current set up.

your mind set is incorrect and it looks like it's time for you to aquire a proper datalogger.

an analysis of your day's worth of runs will show you whether you're driving the car to its maximum potential. In fact, some things can jump at you quite quickly.

Even the days when I do well (finish top 10 overall pax), a post-analysis reveals that had I put together the best sectionals together in one magic run, I would have been 1.5-2s faster! And even if you account a 50% penalty on the theoreticals (since statistically some sections would be faster because the previous was done slower but better, etc), then that's still a 0.7-1s potential over my base time... which in most cases would have been enough to take the event.

therefore, unless you can provide data logs that show that your fastest run is faster all your runs at every single section and your at peak lat and long gs all the way around, then you'll always have time to find.

furthermore, putting your logger into others' cars will also open up your eyes quite a bit.

there's a guy that I race with, who drives a brz, when we combine the best of both of our driving styles our theoreticals are 2-3s faster!! on a 60s course!!

check out my thread
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70598

particularly post #11, and you'll see how even on my fastest run that landed me 4th overall pax... I believe I had potential to go faster, there's easly 1s in there getting lost.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:08 AM   #1435
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
your mind set is incorrect and it looks like it's time for you to aquire a proper datalogger.
Why would you suggest a datalogger? It's only going to show what-if and what-could've-beens just like a video would. I just starting using video this year (only because my co-driver has a GoPro), but I can tell after one view what I did right/wrong.

I have to agree that I don't see much more time for @Laloosh to find on that course. If he's within 0.9 of Chris, that's probably good enough to trophy at a National event.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #1436
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Why would you suggest a datalogger? It's only going to show what-if and what-could've-beens just like a video would.

um.. not sure how to say this without insulting your intelligence... the process of learning and changing your paradigms is long and tedious and requires a certain level of determination and willingness

it's not a "what if", it's an analysis of what you think was your best driving and a quantification and classification of shortcomings. EI, you tell yourself that what you thought was true is actually wrong, so the next time you're out there you'll learn to push your senses further.

I can guarantee that if you take datalogging seriously you'll significantly increase the rate at which you aquire new skills

but only if you're willing to admit personal defeat at the end of every single event even if you do well.
Old 08-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #1437
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I have to agree that I don't see much more time for @Laloosh to find on that course. If he's within 0.9 of Chris, that's probably good enough to trophy at a National event.
Really? I can see at least a handful of places where he was 3ft or more off the the cone he was trying to apex and more than a few places where he entered too fast and pushed off the line he was trying to make. It may or may not add up to .9sec, hard to tell from video since you have no idea on the limits of the car, but each of those times he gets off the line is adding up.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't by any means call the run sloppy or bad and I am definitely not saying that I could do better, but saying that there is no way to take a second off that run is just plain false.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 10:41 AM   #1438
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

and again, what we dont see is:

1. how much throttle and where are you actually using it?
2. how hard and when are you braking?
3. what is your lat g vs long g plot, are you driving within the limits of the tires?
4. a plot of lat gs vs steering input can tell you whether your understeer is mechanical or driver induced
5. how good was your start? There are often TENTHS in what seems minute differences in starting techniques

etc..

people like to say things like "I yeah I trail brake" or "yeah I never lift", and then the data comes in and minds are blown
Old 08-27-2014, 10:45 AM   #1439
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
People can get lost in data. The best thing for one is not the best for another. Codrive with a fast guy and attempt to emulate that
Old 08-27-2014, 10:50 AM   #1440
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTX View Post
People can get lost in data. The best thing for one is not the best for another. Codrive with a fast guy and attempt to emulate that

yes but what is "fast"

I went from being 5s behind my class leader at the first event of the year to beating him and the season isn't over yet.

Ive had the logger in his car and other FRS drivers. I knew they were faster, and the data showed me exactly where and why they were faster, then I emulated THAT, and I got faster.. I didn't even need to hop in their car, the graphs told a much more comprehensive story.

the only way for you to get lost in the data is by trying to analyze too much of it in a short amount of time (or simply lacking the skills to analyze it).

SCIENCE trumps all

EMBRACE it

LOVE it

Old 08-27-2014, 10:56 AM   #1441
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Quote:
um.. not sure how to say this without insulting your intelligence... the process of learning and changing your paradigms is long and tedious and requires a certain level of determination and willingness

it's not a "what if", it's an analysis of what you think was your best driving and a quantification and classification of shortcomings. EI, you tell yourself that what you thought was true is actually wrong, so the next time you're out there you'll learn to push your senses further.

I can guarantee that if you take datalogging seriously you'll significantly increase the rate at which you aquire new skills

but only if you're willing to admit personal defeat at the end of every single event even if you do well.
No worries, maybe I'm old school. I change tire pressures if it's raining or cold, and I look at my times. That's about the extent of the changes I make. I turned the Konis down at one event. I'm out there to have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Really? I can see at least a handful of places where he was 3ft or more off the the cone he was trying to apex and more than a few places where he entered too fast and pushed off the line he was trying to make. It may or may not add up to .9sec, hard to tell from video since you have no idea on the limits of the car, but each of those times he gets off the line is adding up.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't by any means call the run sloppy or bad and I am definitely not saying that I could do better, but saying that there is no way to take a second off that run is just plain false.
There's always time to be found, but to be that close to Chris, he's doing okay.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1442
AustinTX
Pawn in game of life

Drives: 19 STX BRZzz
Quote:
yes but what is "fast"

I went from being 5s behind my class leader at the first event of the year to beating him and the season isn't over yet.

My opinion, if you have to ask what fast is, you don't know yet. I have issues when internet heroes start pushing their opinions of a single part of a thing upon others, but they are not necessarily all that knowledgeable about the thing yet. Not saying you fit in this description, but in this case let your driving do the talking first. See you at nats soon?
renfield90 (08-27-2014), TrqlessWonder (08-28-2014)