follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
blunova
"Slyde"

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Warm air from vents

Has anyone else noticed warm air coming through their vents? This is when the HVAC is completely off, and I seem to notice it more on the driver's side left vent. When I hold my hand up to it, I can feel warm air. I figured if the HVAC system is off, there shouldn't be any air coming through here, right? Is it warm because it's coming from the engine bay?

This has been happening since I bought the car in Dec, and it's starting to annoy me....
blunova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Search would of found several threads about this, but anywise, push the re-circulation button, it shuts off the flow from the vents.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neziah For This Useful Post:
ftc~brz (07-18-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
Chinadian

Drives: FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neziah View Post
Search would of found several threads about this, but anywise, push the re-circulation button, it shuts off the flow from the vents.
wheres the re-circulation button?

My issue is that there isn't warm air going to the floor/feet vent even if I set it to feet only. So since its winter, My feet are always cold in the car, but my upper body is feeling hot...
Chinadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadian View Post
wheres the re-circulation button?

My issue is that there isn't warm air going to the floor/feet vent even if I set it to feet only. So since its winter, My feet are always cold in the car, but my upper body is feeling hot...
Bottom Left knob center button. The one with the cycle button in the car.
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Neziah

Drives: 2013 HotLava FRS, 2005 Legacy
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
yeP, that shuts off the free flow through the vents when you have the fan shut off. I use it all the time in warmer weather when it is not hot enough to use the AC to stop that warm air. I really wish you could get cool outside air through the vents, but that is how it works. My last car was that way too.

If you can't figure it out, look at the page in the manual that shows and labels all the buttons where the fan/heater controls are. That will help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Neziah For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (01-11-2013)
Old 01-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
blunova
"Slyde"

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I'm sorry. I actually did try searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I was using the wrong terms. Thanks for helping, though.

In my old car I was able to bring in air from the outside. Don't like how you can't do this here. I have fixed it with the recirculation button before, but I don't get why it's coming in in the first place. When everything is off you should have no air blowing at all.
blunova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
chenshuo

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blunova View Post
I'm sorry. I actually did try searching and didn't find anything. Maybe I was using the wrong terms. Thanks for helping, though.

In my old car I was able to bring in air from the outside. Don't like how you can't do this here. I have fixed it with the recirculation button before, but I don't get why it's coming in in the first place. When everything is off you should have no air blowing at all.
it's like that so you won't suffocate to death.
chenshuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
yeP, that shuts off the free flow through the vents when you have the fan shut off. I use it all the time in warmer weather when it is not hot enough to use the AC to stop that warm air. I really wish you could get cool outside air through the vents, but that is how it works. My last car was that way too.

If you can't figure it out, look at the page in the manual that shows and labels all the buttons where the fan/heater controls are. That will help.
Same issues here. If it is too hot, roll down the windows some.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
root

Drives: Raven FR-S
Iwondered about this too, the fact that air comes out is expected and normal, but that it's warm was a little interesting. It feels like the heater valve isn't completely closed, but maybe it does really get that warm above the hood and the fresh air Intake is taking in air that is that warm?
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,013 Times in 1,457 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Its normal. This has been discussed before.
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #11
bryan

Drives: Lots of Toyotas
You guys are gonna love this...

The HVAC unit in the FRS/BRZ twins operate exactly the same way as Toyotas of past. The temperature of air blowing out the vents has to do with whatever temperature the HVAC is set to when off. Therefore, by turning on your fan controller and turning the temperature down to LO and then turning the fan off, you will get cool air blowing into the cabin rather than hot air.

So if you are experiencing hot air blowing into your cabin from the air vents when HVAC is off, perform the following:
1. Turn on the fan speed. This can be at any level, I prefer one notch.
2. Turn down the temperature. The lower the temperature, the cooler the air that blows out of your vents.
3. Turn off your HVAC system.

The temperature of the air coming out of your vents should now reflect what the HVAC controls were set to before you turned the system off.

Even when off, the HVAC is constantly blowing air into the cabin. That temperature of air is what you last set your settings to.

The works inversely as well. If you want warm air slightly blowing in on a cold day but don't want the fan working or HVAC system on, you can turn the system on briefly to set your desired temperature.

This is how the HVAC system works on all of our Toyotas with automatic climate control and now also the BRZ.

I hope this helps. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bryan For This Useful Post:
Bg8780 (04-20-2013), Chef (05-01-2013), ethan160222 (02-07-2017), FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-29-2013), strat61caster (04-16-2013), SWPinATL (10-18-2013), ~el~jefe~ (02-23-2017)
Old 01-13-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Jaylyons1

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ; 1993 Skyline GT-R
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenshuo View Post
it's like that so you won't suffocate to death.
Jaylyons1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
You guys are gonna love this...

The HVAC unit in the FRS/BRZ twins operate exactly the same way as Toyotas of past. The temperature of air blowing out the vents has to do with whatever temperature the HVAC is set to when off. Therefore, by turning on your fan controller and turning the temperature down to LO and then turning the fan off, you will get cool air blowing into the cabin rather than hot air.

So if you are experiencing hot air blowing into your cabin from the air vents when HVAC is off, perform the following:
1. Turn on the fan speed. This can be at any level, I prefer one notch.
2. Turn down the temperature. The lower the temperature, the cooler the air that blows out of your vents.
3. Turn off your HVAC system.

The temperature of the air coming out of your vents should now reflect what the HVAC controls were set to before you turned the system off.

Even when off, the HVAC is constantly blowing air into the cabin. That temperature of air is what you last set your settings to.

The works inversely as well. If you want warm air slightly blowing in on a cold day but don't want the fan working or HVAC system on, you can turn the system on briefly to set your desired temperature.

This is how the HVAC system works on all of our Toyotas with automatic climate control and now also the BRZ.

I hope this helps. Anybody correct me if I'm wrong.
This was very true in my Toyota Camry. I'll try in my brz, thanks for the tip!
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Garage
betting its the foam surround on the recirc door...
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote