follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-12-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Can you elaborate on ride is better than stock? The springs are significantly stiffer, so it can't be actually 'comfier' which usually means softer. Rears are 37% stiffer, fronts are 56% stiffer.
Probably softer on the smaller bumps due to progressive springs. Also stiffer springs generally soften your dampers over time.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
stevesnj (08-12-2018), Yoshoobaroo (08-13-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:57 PM   #16
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
Probably softer on the smaller bumps due to progressive springs. Also stiffer springs generally soften your dampers over time.
Pretty much it, and man when I push it around a corner it's a huge improvement over stock springs. Perfect for my needs as a DD and the few track days I take the car to.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:40 PM   #17
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x808drifter View Post
Im all for lmgfy, but at least make sure you get decent results from the search term you give them. Cuz those results sucked

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (08-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #18
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brayshakes View Post
I saw that toyota offers trd springs that cut about an inch off ride height. I was curious about other users experience with these springs? I daily drive the car so anyone with a similar user profile would be helpful.

Braden.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Had TRD Springs since new so I can't say I've experienced the stock FR-S springs. I've daily driven the car in Phoenix & Dallas, and visit Chicago & Nashville very often. Seen all sorts of roads good and bad. Even drove it through an unpaved junk yard.

Not harsh to the point I can't stand it but I kind of have high tolerance. I would say it's definitely not a soft ride as I compare to my other current/previous cars I drive and any of the late model Toyotas I drive at work.

If I had stock springs, I'd probably have switched it to something else by now, maybe TRD, but more likely something aftermarket to get more stiffness and lower ride height. The TRDs have kept me from
really having an urge to upgrade, more of just a want. Whereas if I had stock, I'd have had the urge by now.

NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:39 PM   #19
Lincoln Logs

Drives: #337 2017 Toyota 86
My 2017 86 came with the TRD springs from the dealer, so I can't comment on how they compare to the stock set up. With the newer dampers I really enjoyed the TRD springs, ride quality was fine and the balance of the car was really fun. These paired with the Sachs dampers from the PP would be sublime. I think the ride height with these springs is just about perfect too, no major issues with speed bumps or driveways.

Lincoln Logs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lincoln Logs For This Useful Post:
Leonardo (08-13-2018), stevesnj (08-13-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #20
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Experience with TRD springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpvecchi View Post
US TRD springs are Eibach Pro kit.

Are they?

The spring rates on our spring options chart don't match:

SPRINGS. Front/Rate Rear/Rate Part #
Eibach Pro-Kit 1.0"/3.6k 1.0"/4.9. 8210.5.140
TRD. 0.6"/3.5k 0.6"/5.8k MS260-18001

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8739

Edit: looks like those are the coilovers

MS260-18001

Eibach 8210.5.140 and TRD PTR07-18130 sure look like the same springs, number of coils and locations of the progressive area are the same:

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 09-22-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:30 AM   #21
sneaky_pete

Drives: MY14 86 GTS Manual Velocity Orange
I installed the TRD Lowering Spring Kit and the TRD Sway Bar Kit a couple of weeks ago so I though I'd post my impressions. I have an MY14 86 GTS (Australia).

To be honest I didn't notice any significant change in ride comfort - feels largely the same as stock over most bumps etc. Bigger bumps are felt more however. I was expecting to have my fillings start to fall out. I was surprised at how compliant the springs are.

The biggest difference is in cornering. The cars now sits very flat with very little body roll through corners. It feels great through corners - how it should have been from the factory. Gives way more confidence to push on that little bit harder.

It hasn't altered that 'playful' feeling that the stock car has either. It's just better. When pushed the car still has the tendency to understeer a bit as a bit of a warning. This suits me - I am not a pro driver.

The TRD springs and sway bars are a great option if you're not going to track your car. Had I got coilovers I would have set and forgot those, they would have been wasted on me. It was a better option for me to keep my stock shocks/dampers and go for the TRD Kits. Highly recommended - they are well sorted kits and compliment each other perfectly.
sneaky_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:24 AM   #22
Feistyfrog

Drives: Toyota 86 2019
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky_pete View Post
I installed the TRD Lowering Spring Kit and the TRD Sway Bar Kit a couple of weeks ago so I though I'd post my impressions. I have an MY14 86 GTS (Australia).

To be honest I didn't notice any significant change in ride comfort - feels largely the same as stock over most bumps etc. Bigger bumps are felt more however. I was expecting to have my fillings start to fall out. I was surprised at how compliant the springs are.

The biggest difference is in cornering. The cars now sits very flat with very little body roll through corners. It feels great through corners - how it should have been from the factory. Gives way more confidence to push on that little bit harder.

It hasn't altered that 'playful' feeling that the stock car has either. It's just better. When pushed the car still has the tendency to understeer a bit as a bit of a warning. This suits me - I am not a pro driver.

The TRD springs and sway bars are a great option if you're not going to track your car. Had I got coilovers I would have set and forgot those, they would have been wasted on me. It was a better option for me to keep my stock shocks/dampers and go for the TRD Kits. Highly recommended - they are well sorted kits and compliment each other perfectly.
I totally agree with you about the TRD Springs. I got my 2019 86 with those springs, so I never knew the diffrence until a couple weeks ago, during a family meet. My cousin just got his own 86 in septembre and it's bone stock. So we exchange rides for about 30km, so I finally felt the difference.

It's not much in ride comfort except for bigger potholes where you can feel that there is less suspension travel with the TRD's. It's not that big of a deal for me, but it might be a bit to much for casual drivers (hi mom!).

The drop is also very easy to daily drive since it still provides good ground clearance. I've never scraped the bottom on speed bumps or curbs, which is still surprinsing and like I've read here before, you become very good with angles in and out of parking lots.

The cornering is something else. I didn't know the twins have some body roll with the stock suspension. It's not much if you compare to "regular" cars, but I got so used taking corners flat that I scared myself a little bit in the first curves. After that, I felt more confident and I think the stock setup is easier to gage during corners since the body roll gives another input to the driver.

All in all I was VERY hesitant to get those springs when I order my 86 and I did it mostly for looks. The community here gave me great infos and the confidence to go for it. Hopefully we can do the same for future buyers because now that I know the difference with the stock setup, I agree with you that they should all come with these springs.
Feistyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:25 PM   #23
dsc_pat

Drives: Too fast
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
Can you elaborate on ride is better than stock? The springs are significantly stiffer, so it can't be actually 'comfier' which usually means softer. Rears are 37% stiffer, fronts are 56% stiffer.
shortening bumpstops on a very bumpstock-active car and using progressive springs will do exactly that.

Terminal spring rate is stiffer though.
dsc_pat is offline   Reply With Quote