follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List
timurrrr

Old 07-30-2022, 11:19 AM   #155
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aon View Post
Providing a summary of my situation via a copy-paste of my Facebook post.

That’s pretty fucked up.
spike021 (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:21 AM   #156
LRNAD90

Drives: X5 35d, D90, CX-5 Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
It's time to Lawyer up..
LRNAD90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LRNAD90 For This Useful Post:
Rustyoid (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:43 AM   #157
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
For the money involved it just may be worth talking to a lawyer. Usually first consultation is free.
Yep. On a lot of things simply having a lawyer send them a letter will change their tune.

Toyota has full-time lawyers, but even though the ones on payroll are a "sunk cost" they still track hours and expenses, so it will "cost" Toyota money to fight your lawyer.

There's a good chance that they'll look at it and decide that even if they win, they lose money and just do the repair to make the problem go away.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spektyr For This Useful Post:
Rustyoid (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:33 PM   #158
Kamber

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited
Quote:
There is just as much chance of a Subaru dealer denying for the exact same reasons. It isn’t just a Toyota thing.
Like the recall failures there were more dealers that fixed it than didn’t but some just refused.
For the money involved it just may be worth talking to a lawyer. Usually first consultation is free.
You’re right, my previous statement of Subaru being an entity to make a customer whole is definitely not a given and nor to be expected, that was indeed wishful thinking on my part haha. I agree that there is of course a significant chance of being shafted by either brand, and dealers are not your friend nor an entity to expect much from to begin with. Nonetheless, from the extremely small anecdotal sample size I’ve seen of people posting their experiences of engine related failures online between the two GR86 forums, I’m lead to subjectively believe that I have an overall better chance of achieving a positive outcome from a Subaru of America than Toyota of America if I were to experience engine failure on a daily driver due to RTV bullshit or other manufacture / design issues.

Funnily enough, there is a gentleman on the other forum who has a BRZ and for some inexplicable reason chose to do seven track days on the same fill of OEM 0w-20 oil without changing it; unsurprisingly, his engine failed. Shockingly, Subaru of America decided to cover it out of good will, despite the track use and oil blunder being disclosed. This is of course a lonely sample size of but one. However, compare that to Toyota of Japan and Toyota of America outright denying claims without investigation, citing “track use” as the reason, when they laughably PROVIDE a free track day to each customer, and outright trying to fuck people over by digging through their social medias to find evidence of track or drift usage to deny claims while refusing to send a regional technician out to examine the failure - it becomes clear that one brand may have a more supportive attitude than the other. I understand that a couple of the Toyota denials that were posted about online recently may have been in fact have been perfectly reasonable due to user error or miss-use being involved in the reason for failure - this still pales in stark contrast to the couple feel-good experiences I’ve read about Subaru recently; the one listed above, among others.

I’m actually starting to warm up to the BRZ bumper, however even if not, I’d rather buy a BRZ and get a GR front bumper for it than roll the dice with Toyota even if price and availability between the two were to be exactly the same, which they are not. In fact, the mandatory “magic nano snake oil” paint protection package that I would be forced to buy with the car at seemingly every Toyota dealership would cover the cost of a bumper, AND I’d have a spare BRZ OEM bumper to boot! Looking at it through that lens, since I’m not a fan of the red interior stitching on the BRZ, I could put a few thousand towards aftermarket seats instead of burning that cash on a Toyota dealership’s mark up. Anyway, apologies for the rant, I digress…

Last edited by Kamber; 07-30-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Kamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kamber For This Useful Post:
JusTheG (07-30-2022), racingfool (07-30-2022), Rustyoid (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022), Ultramaroon (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #159
diga

Drives: 2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petah78 View Post
Care to expand? Your engine is toast and at the dealer being looked at? Mileage?

just to be clear, I'm referencing the issue being discussed in this thread (RTV blockage), I am NOT personally experiencing a blown engine.

The point of my reply is to pose the question of whether or not Toyota/Subaru has access to GPS data which can then be used to deny warranty claims if it's determined the failure happened at a known race track/autox location.
Petah78 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 01:02 PM   #160
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diga View Post
just to be clear, I'm referencing the issue being discussed in this thread (RTV blockage), I am NOT personally experiencing a blown engine.

The point of my reply is to pose the question of whether or not Toyota/Subaru has access to GPS data which can then be used to deny warranty claims if it's determined the failure happened at a known race track/autox location.

Yet they were offering a free nasa track day and 1 year nasa membership with purchase of a GR86 for a while
Old 07-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #161
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamber View Post
You’re right, my previous statement of Subaru being an entity to make a customer whole is definitely not a given and nor to be expected, that was indeed wishful thinking on my part haha. I agree that there is of course a significant chance of being shafted by either brand, and dealers are not your friend nor an entity to expect much from to begin with. Nonetheless, from the extremely small anecdotal sample size I’ve seen of people posting their experiences of engine related failures online between the two GR86 forums, I’m lead to subjectively believe that I have an overall better chance of achieving a positive outcome from a Subaru of America than Toyota of America if I were to experience engine failure on a daily driver due to RTV bullshit or other manufacture / design issues.

Funnily enough, there is a gentleman on the other forum who has a BRZ and for some inexplicable reason chose to do seven track days on the same fill of OEM 0w-20 oil without changing it; unsurprisingly, his engine failed. Shockingly, Subaru of America decided to cover it out of good will, despite the track use and oil blunder being disclosed. This is of course a lonely sample size of but one. However, compare that to Toyota of Japan and Toyota of America outright denying claims without investigation, citing “track use” as the reason, when they laughably PROVIDE a free track day to each customer, and outright trying to fuck people over by digging through their social medias to find evidence of track or drift usage to deny claims while refusing to send a regional technician out to examine the failure - it becomes clear that one brand may have a more supportive attitude than the other. I understand that a couple of the Toyota denials that were posted about online recently may have been in fact have been perfectly reasonable due to user error or miss-use being involved in the reason for failure - this still pales in stark contrast to the couple feel-good experiences I’ve read about Subaru recently; the one listed above, among others.

I’m actually starting to warm up to the BRZ bumper, however even if not, I’d rather buy a BRZ and get a GR front bumper for it than roll the dice with Toyota even if price and availability between the two were to be exactly the same, which they are not. In fact, the mandatory “magic nano snake oil” paint protection package that I would be forced to buy with the car at seemingly every Toyota dealership would cover the cost of a bumper, AND I’d have a spare BRZ OEM bumper to boot! Looking at it through that lens, since I’m not a fan of the red interior stitching on the BRZ, I could put a few thousand towards aftermarket seats instead of burning that cash on a Toyota dealership’s mark up. Anyway, apologies for the rant, I digress…
Don’t know about the other forum but here there are two North America reports one was covered and Inez was not so Toyota stands with a 50% accepted rate.
Dealers are not inherently evil and most of the time will work with people. Part of the issue is that they do indeed get a lot of warranty claims on cars that have been heavily modded or abused so some get a bit gun shy.
There is also that great internet deception of only hearing the horror stories while the good news ones remain silent. Could be a hundred dealers replace engines no questions asked and never know it while the five that weren’t are yelling and screaming all over different sites making it look like a massive issue. That was certainly the case with the recall debacle where when the real data was pulled together the denied repairs were only a small percentage.
I personally would never pay markup anyway. Every person that does validates the practice and just makes it worse.
OkieSnuffBox (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #162
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
my understanding is that the car absolutely has gps telemetrics on at all times. I can see where my car is at all times within the Toyota app, so clearly it has that ability.

I doubt there's much they cant see tbh.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 02:21 PM   #163
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
my understanding is that the car absolutely has gps telemetrics on at all times. I can see where my car is at all times within the Toyota app, so clearly it has that ability.

I doubt there's much they cant see tbh.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DylanJZA For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-30-2022), Tcoat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:59 PM   #164
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aon View Post
Providing a summary of my situation via a copy-paste of my Facebook post.
Ahh... the old days when Mitsubishi did the same with Evo's (VII-VIII-IX).They scattered in dragstrips with notepads
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teseo For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-01-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 03:16 PM   #165
Chrisz5z

Drives: 2022 Steel GR86
Give us a free day of racing so you can deny us a warranty...looks like a trap.
Attached Images

Chrisz5z is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrisz5z For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-30-2022), Teseo (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 03:20 PM   #166
mycrors7

Drives: zd8 brz
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Has there been notable BRZ failures with the RTV issue? It seems so far that all the documented RTV related failures worldwide have been on a GR86.
mycrors7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 04:34 PM   #167
Kamber

Drives: '22 BRZ Limited
Quote:
Don’t know about the other forum but here there are two North America reports one was covered and Inez was not so Toyota stands with a 50% accepted rate.
Dealers are not inherently evil and most of the time will work with people. Part of the issue is that they do indeed get a lot of warranty claims on cars that have been heavily modded or abused so some get a bit gun shy.
There is also that great internet deception of only hearing the horror stories while the good news ones remain silent. Could be a hundred dealers replace engines no questions asked and never know it while the five that weren’t are yelling and screaming all over different sites making it look like a massive issue. That was certainly the case with the recall debacle where when the real data was pulled together the denied repairs were only a small percentage.
I personally would never pay markup anyway. Every person that does validates the practice and just makes it worse.
Absolutely agree with there being a heavy negativity bias skewing what we hear when it comes to these kind of things. I too refuse to pay markup, so it’s a nice consolation that I can order a BRZ now’ish without markup despite having a preference for the Toyota front bumper and grey interior stitching. Otherwise I’d probably be searching for a unicorn of a Toyota dealership for a longgg while to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrors7 View Post
Has there been notable BRZ failures with the RTV issue? It seems so far that all the documented RTV related failures worldwide have been on a GR86.
All Toyota so far from what I’ve seen shared online between the US and Japanese markets. The only Subaru engine failures I’ve read of were due to negligence or user-induced and were not linked to RTV clogging. It wil be interesting to see if a bore scope can reach the strainer through the oil pan to check for RTV chunks - if so, we’ll be able to deduce a lot more over time about what manufacture dates were affected. Hopefully it is contained to a small run of cars from a particular period DOM and not a wider spread issue.

Last edited by Kamber; 07-30-2022 at 05:00 PM.
Kamber is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 05:00 PM   #168
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
You do, but it's in donuts.

Tags
oh no not again