follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #2605
nrevbay

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Anybody have this mod with a stock car?
Seems like it was originally designed just for that (stock car), which is exactly what I'm looking for. I just wanna get rid of or minimize the torque dip while keeping the car as stock as possible.

Sorry, car noob here. First time modding. Hence I'm hesitant to do anything outrageous haha.
If there's a better and/or cheaper option for getting rid of the torque dip, please let me know. I want to keep the stock tune.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:27 PM   #2606
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrevbay View Post
Anybody have this mod with a stock car?
Seems like it was originally designed just for that (stock car), which is exactly what I'm looking for. I just wanna get rid of or minimize the torque dip while keeping the car as stock as possible.

Sorry, car noob here. First time modding. Hence I'm hesitant to do anything outrageous haha.
If there's a better and/or cheaper option for getting rid of the torque dip, please let me know. I want to keep the stock tune.
Honestly, i would recommend a Stage 1 OFT tune first, Even though you don't want a tune haha....but the stage 1 tune improves the tq dip a little as well as increases power while keeping the stock noise levels.

If you want more after that, you can get the header and know your good to go because you can disable the CEL code manually if it decides to come on.

Anyways, that's my suggestion.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:30 PM   #2607
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Is it normal to experience harsh vibrations in the cabin after installing these headers?

I finally came around to putting it on, i have the mootiv overpipe, berk catted front pipe and ARK DTS catback. The vibrations are really harsh throughout the cabin, the whole car vibrates during idle and acceleration. It feels like i changed cam profiles more than i changed headers.

I had the exact same set up without headers and overpipe for a long time and did not have any issues with vibrations.

I think i'm rubbing somewhere, perhaps with the overpipe, but clearance seemed fine when we installed everything, i will doublecheck soon but i am curious if such vibrations are common with this header. All the plastics won't stop rattling.
Old 04-02-2016, 02:57 PM   #2608
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
Is it normal to experience harsh vibrations in the cabin after installing these headers?

I finally came around to putting it on, i have the mootiv overpipe, berk catted front pipe and ARK DTS catback. The vibrations are really harsh throughout the cabin, the whole car vibrates during idle and acceleration. It feels like i changed cam profiles more than i changed headers.

I had the exact same set up without headers and overpipe for a long time and did not have any issues with vibrations.

I think i'm rubbing somewhere, perhaps with the overpipe, but clearance seemed fine when we installed everything, i will doublecheck soon but i am curious if such vibrations are common with this header. All the plastics won't stop rattling.
Did you take into consideration the exhaust system leaning back a little bit under acceleration? Just something you can look into.
Old 04-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #2609
thriller

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited Pure Red
Quote:

I had the same problem when I installed this header a couple months ago with everything else stock. It was crazy noisy too. Turns out it was the head vibrating against the skid plate. I just had to bend the skid plate a little to make it bow down and fit without rubbing. Afterwards, it was as quiet as stock.

You may want to just pull the skid plate off and take a look around. If anything is rubbing, there will be some visible wear on both parts wherever it's happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to thriller For This Useful Post:
dem00n (04-02-2016)
Old 04-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #2610
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller View Post
I had the same problem when I installed this header a couple months ago with everything else stock. It was crazy noisy too. Turns out it was the head vibrating against the skid plate. I just had to bend the skid plate a little to make it bow down and fit without rubbing. Afterwards, it was as quiet as stock.

You may want to just pull the skid plate off and take a look around. If anything is rubbing, there will be some visible wear on both parts wherever it's happening.
This makes good sense, i'll have a look again tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:10 PM   #2611
nrevbay

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S AT
Quote:
This makes good sense, i'll have a look again tomorrow.

Thanks.
hey, did you fix the issue? If so, how did you fix it?
Old 04-04-2016, 11:29 PM   #2612
deuncos

Drives: AT Hot lava FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by STV3 View Post
Yep with no issues and car is still running strong.

@STV3 Are you running the canned OTS stage 2 tune or did you modify the stage 2 tune yourself in romradier?
Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 PM   #2613
dem00n

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrevbay View Post
hey, did you fix the issue? If so, how did you fix it?
I noticed that my undertray was bent and straightened it out the best i could. There's still some vibration but not as much. I'm going to double check the undertray later this week to see if i can fit it better.

The best way to diagnosis this problem that i was too stupid to do was to drive around without the undertray on and feel the vibrations.

Honestly, these cars are junked up already so i might as well go to a junkyard and get a fresh one. Mine was seriously beat, but this is 73k in miles so far...
FRSBRZGT86FAN (04-05-2016)
Old 06-22-2016, 03:11 PM   #2614
Leland

Drives: BRZ JDL uel headers oft Perrin 2.5
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. When I first read about these headers, I was sure that I wanted to get them but I thought that I would do a little research which this thread provided. Now after reading much of this thread, I am conflicted. I do want to minimize the torque dip. The only engine mods on my car are the Mishimoto intake tube and drop in afe intake dry filter. I do not want a cel, emissions issues or cracked headers to deal with down the road. Should I get these headers?
Old 06-22-2016, 03:35 PM   #2615
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
Hello. This is my first post on this forum. When I first read about these headers, I was sure that I wanted to get them but I thought that I would do a little research which this thread provided. Now after reading much of this thread, I am conflicted. I do want to minimize the torque dip. The only engine mods on my car are the Mishimoto intake tube and drop in afe intake dry filter. I do not want a cel, emissions issues or cracked headers to deal with down the road. Should I get these headers?
It doesn't matter which header you get, if you get aftermarket header you won't pass emissions... unless you live in the state that require emissions.

If you ever get crack on their products, they'll replace it.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:51 PM   #2616
Leland

Drives: BRZ JDL uel headers oft Perrin 2.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
It doesn't matter which header you get, if you get aftermarket header you won't pass emissions... unless you live in the state that require emissions.

Thank you for your response. I guess that I will just live with the torque dip. My previous car was a 2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0si which had plenty of torque so I really notice the lack.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:57 PM   #2617
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,049 Times in 8,324 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leland View Post
Thank you for your response. I guess that I will just live with the torque dip. My previous car was a 2006 Z4 Coupe 3.0si which had plenty of torque so I really notice the lack.
Tuning can help lil bit (very small amount) of tq dip. If corn gas (E85) are around your area, you can get flex fuel kit & tuned, that'll help even with stock exhaust system.
Old 06-22-2016, 04:03 PM   #2618
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post

False.

If you live in a state where all they do is the OBD2 test you can pass pretty easily so long as your CEL is tuned off.

Closed Thread

Tags
catted uel header, ft86speedfactory header, is my order ready yet?