follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2022, 07:28 AM   #869
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post

There are scores of automatic GR86s piled up on lots, while the only stick ones available have absurd mark-ups.
Do you have evidence of this statement? I don't believe there are "scores piled up" on lots nor that every MT is marked up.
Old 04-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #870
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Do you have evidence of this statement? I don't believe there are "scores piled up" on lots nor that every MT is marked up.
That is simply not true we all know that. Many of us can get our hands on automatics. They are certainly not stockpiled up anywhere. Yeah
Old 04-25-2022, 09:06 AM   #871
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidsnake View Post
That is simply not true we all know that. Many of us can get our hands on automatics. They are certainly not stockpiled up anywhere. Yeah
I did a search on the Toyota site for my local area (Atlanta and suburbs). That covers 7 Toyota dealers within about a 30 mile radius.

There are zero units sitting on the lot, AT or MT. There are 11 that will be available by 05/02, all 11 are AT. I assume that means the MT are spoken for because, guess what, folks wanting a manual are grabbing them up in advance.

However, it seems obvious the ATs do not sit on the lot very long if they do at all, at least not here.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #872
Liquidsnake

Drives: "I drives like a Porsche"
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I did a search on the Toyota site for my local area (Atlanta and suburbs). That covers 7 Toyota dealers within about a 30 mile radius.

There are zero units sitting on the lot, AT or MT. There are 11 that will be available by 05/02, all 11 are AT. I assume that means the MT are spoken for because, guess what, folks wanting a manual are grabbing them up in advance.

However, it seems obvious the ATs do not sit on the lot very long if they do at all, at least not here.
I’m sure it varies by region but in Los Angeles or more so California I can’t get my hands on an automatic to save my life
Old 04-25-2022, 10:57 AM   #873
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Not sure if your region is any different, but for midwest, mid Atlantic and NY regions all the dealer sites (with a few exceptions) show all allocations in their pipeline regardless of whether they are sold/reserved or not. It usually takes a while for them to come off the site once the customer takes delivery. It generates a lot of phone and email traffic if nothing else.

One dealer I'm working with has scanned nationwide allocations a few times for me and I can confidently say that 70% of 86 allocations (except gulf/south - no data) have been AT. I'm sure more than 70% but I could guarantee that number.

By mid-March I'd reached out to around 10 dealers to try to get additional deposits in. If MRSP = true, I would ask how many people are already in line and what their specs were - if there was nobody with my spec ahead of me, I'd get in line. Almost all of the people in line were waiting for MT.

I have deposits with 3 dealers. I'm realizing now that when so many people place multiple deposits like this it probably screws things up for Toyota - a sort of duplicate demand signal. If so, great. Continuous improvement ahoy. If their system could actively match demand with production plans (say, like Subaru's) everyone would have one deposit at one dealer, they would have closed orders in January, nobody would have had to waste their time in this thread and I would already have my car instead of having no clue whether I'll ever get one.

Since buying a new car will probably be like this for the foreseeable future, I'd be surprised if they don't try to overhaul this system soon. Trying to buy any model Toyota can put you into allocation wait purgatory. We know someone that waited 10 months for a Sienna allocation.

fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 12:33 PM   #874
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

I think MSRP is the "new normal" and it will be a LONG time for anything below MSRP is a standard expectation again, if ever.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
fredzy (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #875
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure where people get the idea that there are AT cars sitting on lots (easier to get sure, but still in short supply relative to other models). I understand regional differences, but as a generalization it's not true at all lol.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 01:13 PM   #876
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I think MSRP is the "new normal" and it will be a LONG time for anything below MSRP is a standard expectation again, if ever.
In a way I prefer this - not having to worry whether you're paying too much/said all the magic words etc. With MSRP being the agreed sort of universal price, I think it could make it harder for dealers to charge markups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanJZA View Post
I'm not sure where people get the idea that there are AT cars sitting on lots (easier to get sure, but still in short supply relative to other models). I understand regional differences, but as a generalization it's not true at all lol.
Agree - they're all selling. They're just making more ATs, and it seems like MT is more in demand right now.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 02:35 PM   #877
Tcoat

Quote:
Another new "normal" that I learned when searching for the wife's next car is there will probably always be less on lot stock and more direct orders. All four of the dealers we visited said that even once the shortages clear up they expect to order more and carry less stock. It certainly would help to keep prices down but may cost them some impulse buys (like my FRS).
Dadhawk (04-25-2022), Decep (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:06 PM   #878
DylanJZA

Drives: GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Another new "normal" that I learned when searching for the wife's next car is there will probably always be less on lot stock and more direct orders. All four of the dealers we visited said that even once the shortages clear up they expect to order more and carry less stock. It certainly would help to keep prices down but may cost them some impulse buys (like my FRS).
I have worked with Toyota on some past engineering projects, and as such know some staff here and in JP, and they have commented along the same lines. They have found improvements in production through the shortages both at the corporate and dealer level. Interesting too, because in Japan nearly all cars are made to order for instance and it is preferred there as well.
DylanJZA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DylanJZA For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:14 PM   #879
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
In a way I prefer this - not having to worry whether you're paying too much/said all the magic words etc. With MSRP being the agreed sort of universal price, I think it could make it harder for dealers to charge markups.
Frankly I do too. That's why I've owned a Saturn and a Scion.

Quote:
Another new "normal" that I learned when searching for the wife's next car is there will probably always be less on lot stock and more direct orders.
I'm with this. Heck, Mini already does this.

If I'm getting a new car, I want to order my car exactly like I want it. Maybe at some point if the OEMs get good enough at it we'll have real build lists and not "bundles". Nothing irks me more than the "oh you want the extra cup holder, sure but to get it you need this $10,000 set of carbon ceramic discs on your $24,000 Corolla build".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Flarpswitch (04-26-2022), OkieSnuffBox (04-28-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:40 PM   #880
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Just in time car purchasing.

I don't mind it at all, unless i just totaled my car and need it right naoooow!
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Decep For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-25-2022)
Old 04-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #881
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post

That is exactly what I said. Their reply is that they would figure out how to deal with that as it became more common.
Old 04-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #882
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post

Got a coworker dealing with that right now. Someone rammed the back of his GMC Denali that was less than 12 months old. First he had to deal with the fact that the person who hit him was underinsured for what he decided to hit.

Then, he had to deal with getting a replacement (he uses it to pull a fifth wheel camper).

At first GMC said an order would be out 6 months so he was looking used, but wasn't going to be able to get what he wanted. Finally they got it down to 10 weeks as GM has opened manufacturing back up slowly.

So now he's on the clock waiting, 6 weeks to go.