follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2019, 08:33 AM   #15
funwheeldrive
Senior Member
 
funwheeldrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Drives: Firestorm Monogram
Location: Thurston County
Posts: 3,435
Thanks: 7,009
Thanked 3,003 Times in 1,401 Posts
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
My car is almost 6 years old and I still catch little kids stopping to look at it, and I regularly get compliments from strangers.

I think the shape and proportions of the 86/BRZ are timeless and classy. It's also going to be one of the last of its kind (lightweight, affordable, naturally aspirated). Toyota already announced that the Supra will be it's last sporty car to have an internal combustion engine (without any kind of battery/electrification).

I've driven a lot of other cars since buying my FRS and I still haven't found anything that would justify spending extra money to upgrade. This car is such a great overall package. If anything I could see myself buying another one in the future.
__________________
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
bcj (06-16-2019), dnieves (06-16-2019), DriveDriftDogfight86 (06-20-2019), Feistyfrog (06-19-2019), Rampage (06-16-2019), why? (06-18-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,223
Thanks: 6,637
Thanked 5,181 Times in 2,688 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitcious View Post
My left headlight is starting to haze...
Meguires Plastic-X is an amazing plastic polish. My headlights started hazing years ago. I polish each of them for 5 min every year now. no big deal. wet sand with 1500, 2000, 2500 if the are really bad, then polish.
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #17
extrashaky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: USA
Posts: 3,987
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 5,523 Times in 2,227 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
My BRZ (2013) had hazed headlights after 3 years. It depends on ambient conditions. Don't assume your headlights aren't made of same plastic other vehicles are.
Interesting. We have quite a few 86s around me, and I haven't seen one yet with hazed headlights.

But I also don't see other vehicles hazing as fast as the ones from 10 - 15 years ago. I'm not assuming that my headlights are made from different plastic from other vehicles made today. I assumed the technology has improved for all manufacturers, since it has a tendency to do that.

What ambient conditions cause headlights to haze?
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:42 PM   #18
soundman98
threadwrecker
 
soundman98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Drives: '14 brz limited
Location: chicagolandia
Posts: 5,071
Thanks: 12,675
Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,774 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
My car is almost 6 years old and I still catch little kids stopping to look at it, and I regularly get compliments from strangers.

I think the shape and proportions of the 86/BRZ are timeless and classy. It's also going to be one of the last of its kind (lightweight, affordable, naturally aspirated). Toyota already announced that the Supra will be it's last sporty car to have an internal combustion engine (without any kind of battery/electrification).

I've driven a lot of other cars since buying my FRS and I still haven't found anything that would justify spending extra money to upgrade. This car is such a great overall package. If anything I could see myself buying another one in the future.
it also helps that it had almost no marketing. people still ask me what it is.
__________________
my '14 brz limited "the return to normal" (or is it?)
led mods-10%(planning/designing/sitting on hands)audio mods-99%(done is never done)

hidplanet build log
soundman98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
dnieves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Location: NY
Posts: 1,040
Thanks: 588
Thanked 332 Times in 242 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Interesting. We have quite a few 86s around me, and I haven't seen one yet with hazed headlights.

But I also don't see other vehicles hazing as fast as the ones from 10 - 15 years ago. I'm not assuming that my headlights are made from different plastic from other vehicles made today. I assumed the technology has improved for all manufacturers, since it has a tendency to do that.

What ambient conditions cause headlights to haze?


UV from the sun and particles in the air sandblast the plastic in modern polycarbonate headlight covers. I tried UV paint protection film on my 2006 Civic Si with great results. I should've done the same with my FR-S but I was more concerned about the front bumper and hood. I still have a 2008 Scion tC and it unprotected headlights completed hazed within a couple years.


dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 01:43 PM   #20
Decep
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Location: CA
Posts: 701
Thanks: 54
Thanked 298 Times in 196 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Meguires Plastic-X is an amazing plastic polish. My headlights started hazing years ago. I polish each of them for 5 min every year now. no big deal. wet sand with 1500, 2000, 2500 if the are really bad, then polish.
That stuff is amazing but it always comes back in a couple of months. I have a can of their headlight clearcoat but i havent tried it yet.
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #21
extrashaky
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Location: USA
Posts: 3,987
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 5,523 Times in 2,227 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
UV from the sun and particles in the air sandblast the plastic in modern polycarbonate headlight covers.
Mine has lived its entire life in Louisiana, Texas and Florida. Plenty of UV, and plenty of crap in the air in Texas. My hood has numerous dimples from airborne debris, but my headlight lenses still look new.

And like I said, I've been in the UV-soaked state of Florida for a few years now and don't see other 86s with the problem. Maybe 86 owners just fix it, where people driving Tiburons and Magnums just say fuck it.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi
 
Rampage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Location: NoFL
Posts: 2,422
Thanks: 1,887
Thanked 1,991 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah, I should have been more clear with the title in that the final design of the twins (or is it triplets) is 8 years old. It is such a classic and clean design that I actually prefer it to anything that has been released since then and that includes the new Supra. It just ages so well. When I see a stock or near stock one on the road today, I still always do a double take.

If they do a second generation, I hope they do not do something like what happened to the Mitsubishi Eclipse. That would be heartbreaking.
__________________
So many modders have more cents than sense!
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rampage For This Useful Post:
Feistyfrog (06-19-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 04:21 PM   #23
Yoshoobaroo
Chips & Torque Dip
 
Yoshoobaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Drives: 2013 BRZ
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,234
Thanks: 1,107
Thanked 1,900 Times in 987 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Hard to believe but the &quot;First 86&quot; FR-S cars are already 8 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
If they do a second generation, I hope they do not do something like what happened to the Mitsubishi Eclipse. That would be heartbreaking.

Agreed, they did very well with the styling, itís one of the best looking cars on the road. I hope the second gen doesnít change the it much.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 05:04 PM   #24
jbsali
Senior Member
 
jbsali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ (Limited)
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 258
Thanks: 634
Thanked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
I think it will age well, if you look at something like a 240Z and how well that has aged considering it is 50 years old. I think 20 or 30 years from now the BRZ/86 look may become that iconic, like the 240Z.
after it becomes the equivalent overpriced 240sx with unmatched coloured body panels and high miles . future estimate value? 15-20k, "i know what i got" LOL
jbsali is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbsali For This Useful Post:
venturaII (06-17-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 05:59 PM   #25
dnieves
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Location: NY
Posts: 1,040
Thanks: 588
Thanked 332 Times in 242 Posts
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Mine has lived its entire life in Louisiana, Texas and Florida. Plenty of UV, and plenty of crap in the air in Texas. My hood has numerous dimples from airborne debris, but my headlight lenses still look new.

And like I said, I've been in the UV-soaked state of Florida for a few years now and don't see other 86s with the problem. Maybe 86 owners just fix it, where people driving Tiburons and Magnums just say fuck it.


If I drove a Hyundai or anything made by Chrysler (except the Demon) I'd say f*ck it too! LOL

Last edited by dnieves; 06-16-2019 at 11:22 PM.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 04:46 AM   #26
FR-Sky
Senior Member
 
FR-Sky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 1,190
Thanks: 385
Thanked 390 Times in 264 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It's my 4th years now and still grinding
__________________
IG: @rearwheelclub
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:28 AM   #27
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.
 
venturaII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: All the time
Location: Shrewsbury upon Worcestershire
Posts: 1,757
Thanks: 828
Thanked 1,037 Times in 655 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsali View Post
after it becomes the equivalent overpriced 240sx with unmatched coloured body panels and high miles . future estimate value? 15-20k, "i know what i got" LOL
Yeah, if these do appreciate at all worth even thinking about, it's gonna be quite a while before it happens. I'd love to still have mine at that point, but being a daily driver for me, the chance of getting speared by some dipshit trying to text or playing with their infotainment center gets greater and greater every year..
__________________
"To know a thing well, know it's limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen." Amtal Rule
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
jbsali (06-18-2019), Ultramaroon (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 10:03 PM   #28
RToyo86
Senior Member
 
RToyo86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 851
Thanks: 541
Thanked 638 Times in 366 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Mine has lived its entire life in Louisiana, Texas and Florida. Plenty of UV, and plenty of crap in the air in Texas. My hood has numerous dimples from airborne debris, but my headlight lenses still look new.

And like I said, I've been in the UV-soaked state of Florida for a few years now and don't see other 86s with the problem. Maybe 86 owners just fix it, where people driving Tiburons and Magnums just say fuck it.
Do you hand wash yours regularly?
I imagine many owners do; plus any sealants, even spray waxes go a long way at giving headlight UV coatings a longer life.

Turtle wax ice seal n shine is arguably the best bang for buck spray sealant/wax on the market right now.
If I didn't just buy some new optimum products I'd be all over it.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Five Years Later - My 2013 Scion FR-S "Frisky" Mods irxproductions Member's Car Journals 0 05-27-2017 06:01 PM
BRZ 6AT - "click" on hard acceleration cpnslow Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 6 10-07-2014 11:35 PM
Nissan VP "FT86 was designed for 50 Years old" Whitigir Off-Topic Lounge 7 10-30-2013 06:34 PM
Intake "Hard" pipes and upgrades - performance difference? fl62 Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 13 08-12-2013 02:34 PM
"Buzzing" From behind the steering wheel under hard acceleration husker741 Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB 13 06-30-2013 01:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.