follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-27-2016, 10:00 AM   #29
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi Everyone, quick question as I am getting ready for my first event with NASA. Still trying to figure out the points thing. Have been seeing many different "views" when it comes to OEM Spoilers.

I have a BRZ Limited, which comes with the spoiler from the factory). Does this mean the spoiler is BTM, or since the BRZ Premium model does not have a spoiler, does that mean my limited automatically takes the +4 for the OEM Spoiler.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:10 PM   #30
ja1217

Drives: 2004 Toyota RAV-4 5M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
Hi Everyone, quick question as I am getting ready for my first event with NASA. Still trying to figure out the points thing. Have been seeing many different "views" when it comes to OEM Spoilers.

I have a BRZ Limited, which comes with the spoiler from the factory). Does this mean the spoiler is BTM, or since the BRZ Premium model does not have a spoiler, does that mean my limited automatically takes the +4 for the OEM Spoiler.
Some people think that BTM means "By The Manufacturer", but it really means "Base Trim Model". So, since the spoiler is not included on the Base Trim Model BRZ, you would indeed need to take the 4 pts for non-BTM aero.
ja1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 12:32 PM   #31
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1217 View Post
Some people think that BTM means "By The Manufacturer", but it really means "Base Trim Model". So, since the spoiler is not included on the Base Trim Model BRZ, you would indeed need to take the 4 pts for non-BTM aero.

My undertanding was getting hit with 4 points for it. I understood BTM, but had been seeing lots of posts in regards to BTM being linked to the specific model vs the car: Limited vs Premium, SE vs none SE, and all sorts of comparisons.

I am at that point where I will end up running TTC because I don't want to deal with pulling body parts off my car for a couple events per year, so wanting to make sure that everything is 100% before ordering stickers.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:43 PM   #32
ja1217

Yes, you would take 4 points for the spoiler. BTM is always linked to the base trim model with no options (so premium for the BRZ, which does not come with a spoiler). I think there are a few special cases with other cars with major upgrade packages, like the Mustang Boss302, where they are classed separately from the base mustang, but for our cars there is no special classing of for the different trim levels.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:20 PM   #33
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
My undertanding was getting hit with 4 points for it. I understood BTM, but had been seeing lots of posts in regards to BTM being linked to the specific model vs the car: Limited vs Premium, SE vs none SE, and all sorts of comparisons.

I am at that point where I will end up running TTC because I don't want to deal with pulling body parts off my car for a couple events per year, so wanting to make sure that everything is 100% before ordering stickers.

Where did you find the base class for our cars? The classifier spreadsheet doesn't list that and the 'base class' field is only a dropdown, not referenced from anywhere else.

*EDIT* Nevermind, found it in the rules. Thought it was in their 'classifier program' like they said on the website.

Last edited by Uplink; 04-27-2016 at 02:23 PM. Reason: I r dumb. :)
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #34
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Where did you find the base class for our cars? The classifier spreadsheet doesn't list that and the 'base class' field is only a dropdown, not referenced from anywhere else.

*EDIT* Nevermind, found it in the rules. Thought it was in their 'classifier program' like they said on the website.
Ya, they are in TTD. Its in the normal TT Rule Book. Then you can play with the fancy spreadsheet and be all like to TTC you go!
Old 04-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #35
Uplink

Quote:
Ya, they are in TTD. Its in the normal TT Rule Book.

Your best bet is probably TTC, it'll give you plenty of wiggle room too. With 0 suspension mods, on 200tw Direzza's and just due to my minor street mods (OP-Back exhaust, pulleys, slightly less weight)... I fall about 3 points from TTC.

That said, the car is already competitive with TTC times so putting the extra 23 allowable points into suspension/tires would make it a formidable competitor.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #36
ka-t_240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
Your best bet is probably TTC, it'll give you plenty of wiggle room too. With 0 suspension mods, on 200tw Direzza's and just due to my minor street mods (OP-Back exhaust, pulleys, slightly less weight)... I fall about 3 points from TTC.

That said, the car is already competitive with TTC times so putting the extra 23 allowable points into suspension/tires would make it a formidable competitor.
Are the pulley's really worth the points? I've already got T2s, Sway Bars, Bushings, Endlinks, Full exhaust/tune, 4.56 FD, and RE71s. And then some useless OEM Wing Points as well as an intake(not sure what to say about it) and front strut bar.

Not sure if the brz can compete with an S2k w/ aero.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:45 PM   #37
Uplink

Quote:
Then you can play with the fancy spreadsheet and be all like to TTC you go!

Came to that conclusion about 30 seconds in.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:15 PM   #38
Uplink

Quote:
Are the pulley's really worth the points? I've already got T2s, Sway Bars, Bushings, Endlinks, Full exhaust/tune, 4.56 FD, and RE71s. And then some useless OEM Wing Points as well as an intake(not sure what to say about it) and front strut bar.

Ya, not sure if the brz can compete with an S2k w/ aero.

They aren't worth the points, that's the problem. I never built anything to TT spec (or really any spec for that matter) so backtracking to add up points shows how silly a lot of it is. I'm in the same boat as you on the intake. Perrin silicone inlet to get rid of the noise tube and the HKS snorkel. Neither make any appreciable competitive difference, but they fall into the category that includes doing a true cold air intake because non-BTM.

No, definitely not. @Aero It's all in how you build the car though. Ideally, the best way to hedge your is you have to pick only 1 race series and build/spec your car to their rules eeking out every points advantage you can. Don't do anything extra or 'wasteful'. Ie, rather than Z2's, pulleys, and the snorkel, those points would have been better spent knocking a set of R888's or RE71's down to +2.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #39
enivid

Drives: WRB JR BRZED
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
TT4 is a go! http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=132031

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
enivid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to enivid For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-21-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 02:25 PM   #40
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post

woooooooooh

Can you give me a quick TL;DR vs TTC/TTD? I'll read the full post later when I'm at a computer...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #41
ja1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
woooooooooh

Can you give me a quick TL;DR vs TTC/TTD? I'll read the full post later when I'm at a computer...
If you are familiar with the rules for TT3, its pretty much the same except the power to weight ratio is 12.0lbs:1whp, with the power being your average horsepower, not peak.

Quote:
BUT, here is what I'm 95% certain we are going with for 2017, and I hope that we will have the rest before the end of the month
1) ALL ST (1-4) and TT1-4 classes will use the Avg. HP calculation for Dyno tech inspections for compliance with the Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio.
2) ST4/TT4 will use the current ST Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio Formula with some modifications to the Mod Factors (like we did with ST3/TT3)
3) ST4/TT4 will have a limit of 12:1 Adjusted Wt/HP Ratio
4) ST4/TT4 will have a maximum Tire Size of 275
5) Non-DOT tires will not be permitted in ST4/TT4 (might need some exceptions for designated rain events--still being worked out)
6) DOT-approved "A" Tires will have a Modification Factor in ST4/TT4--similar to the current non-DOT Mod Factor in other ST classes.
7) No non-Production Vehicles or Modification Factor for ST4/TT4, except for pre-approved vehicles (such as Legends, Legacy's, etc.) that shall be listed in the rules. There may be some individual waivers granted by the National Director under appropriate circumstances for currently unforeseen circumstances (with appropriate Mod Factor if necessary).
8) PTB/TTB will be deleted and no longer available.
9) Aero modifications will be limited to a rear wing/spoiler, front air dam/splitter, and those modifications currently listed as okay under the OEM Aero rule in ST3.

I'm still waiting on a clarification on the aero rule as I don't want to remove my diffuser, but we'll see.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:57 AM   #42
zdr93523

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enivid View Post

Time to go back to NA