follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Gost

Drives: 2014 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Goodbye FR-S

Usually don't share stories like this but figured people might get a kick out of this.

So last Friday 5/16/2014, I took my wife out for dinner for her birthday with two of her friends. For those of you who live in NYC, we went to eat at Picnic Garden in Flushing Queens. Those of you who live in NYC might also remember that it rained that night, really really really hard. Literally my wipers were on maximum speed and it wasn't fast enough to clear the view.

Anyway after dinner, I made the idiot decision to drive instead of waiting the storm out (which would have been just another 15-20 minutes). Instead I jump in the car and drive one of my wife's friends home to Woodside Queens. on 65th Place and I believe 85th Avenue? That was my first time in that area and I am completely unfamiliar. Parked the car and it was still raining, but now it started getting even heavier. I ran inside her house to take a leak, and decided to wait it out inside for a bit. Then about 5 minutes later, I went outside and began noticing the street was flooding. Apparently a man hole cover was pulled open, and water was gysering out of the man hole. I quickly ran to my car and started it up, (which I probably shouldn't have), got a few feet, and the engine stalled. Electronics still worked but the engine wouldn't crank back up. Big SUVs kept speeding past me splashing waves of water and drowning me even further. Water never reached the interior however, which I guess for me was a good thing. But after about 10 minutes sitting in a big river, the FDNY showed up and pulled up more manhole covers to drain the street that had become a river. Finally the floor was dry, I got out, intake was wet, air filter was wet, water got into the throttle body, when cranking it would spit water, so I cam to the conclusion okay, cars done.

My wife stayed over at her friends house and I wasn't able to get a tow back to Brooklyn, until 3AM. Got back to Brooklyn at 5AM and left the car outside Bay Ridge Toyota. The tow guy told me he had 6 flooded cars that night.

Anyway now my insurance has taken over and the shop is running diagnostics and other things. It's either they total it and I get the reimbursement, or they attempt to fix it. Quite frankly I rather they total it right now, and I can pick up another one, or a 15' WRX.

Funny thing is when I went into the dealership earlier today to ask about the monogram series, they all looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about, simply because none of them even knew what the monogram series was. SMH.
Gost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gost For This Useful Post:
Astroboy (05-21-2014), FRSBRZGT86FAN (06-11-2014), Guff (05-20-2014), Jrryjms07 (05-20-2014), kthxbai (06-09-2014), Maowc (06-08-2014), Nsot (07-09-2014), scary alien (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
NemesisPrime909

Drives: 91 Toyota Supra 16 Nissan Versa
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
best of luck man, whatever the outcome
Old 05-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #3
AVodka14

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS MT
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Too bad the FRS is not amphibious. I hope they total it for you and you get something brand spanking new!
AVodka14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Wow.. good luck with all that..
I grew up in Bayside.. long time ago..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
vividracing

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Thanked 1,065 Times in 617 Posts
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Not another one... I feel your pain, but it will all be taken care of.
vividracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
8R6

Drives: FRS
Thanked 1,338 Times in 746 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Old 05-20-2014, 09:12 PM   #7
aristo

Drives: BRZ SWP 14
Best of luck to you man. I'm also in NYC - I didn't think the flooding could get that bad but Queens is a weird place..
aristo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I know how that feels, my car was a few inches away from death during Sandy.

Go for the WRX, might as well expedience something new!

Good luck!
Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #9
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gost View Post
Usually don't share stories like this but figured people might get a kick out of this.

So last Friday 5/16/2014, I took my wife out for dinner for her birthday with two of her friends. For those of you who live in NYC, we went to eat at Picnic Garden in Flushing Queens. Those of you who live in NYC might also remember that it rained that night, really really really hard. Literally my wipers were on maximum speed and it wasn't fast enough to clear the view.

Anyway after dinner, I made the idiot decision to drive instead of waiting the storm out (which would have been just another 15-20 minutes). Instead I jump in the car and drive one of my wife's friends home to Woodside Queens. on 65th Place and I believe 85th Avenue? That was my first time in that area and I am completely unfamiliar. Parked the car and it was still raining, but now it started getting even heavier. I ran inside her house to take a leak, and decided to wait it out inside for a bit. Then about 5 minutes later, I went outside and began noticing the street was flooding. Apparently a man hole cover was pulled open, and water was gysering out of the man hole. I quickly ran to my car and started it up, (which I probably shouldn't have), got a few feet, and the engine stalled. Electronics still worked but the engine wouldn't crank back up. Big SUVs kept speeding past me splashing waves of water and drowning me even further. Water never reached the interior however, which I guess for me was a good thing. But after about 10 minutes sitting in a big river, the FDNY showed up and pulled up more manhole covers to drain the street that had become a river. Finally the floor was dry, I got out, intake was wet, air filter was wet, water got into the throttle body, when cranking it would spit water, so I cam to the conclusion okay, cars done.

My wife stayed over at her friends house and I wasn't able to get a tow back to Brooklyn, until 3AM. Got back to Brooklyn at 5AM and left the car outside Bay Ridge Toyota. The tow guy told me he had 6 flooded cars that night.

Anyway now my insurance has taken over and the shop is running diagnostics and other things. It's either they total it and I get the reimbursement, or they attempt to fix it. Quite frankly I rather they total it right now, and I can pick up another one, or a 15' WRX.

Funny thing is when I went into the dealership earlier today to ask about the monogram series, they all looked at me like they had no idea what I was talking about, simply because none of them even knew what the monogram series was. SMH.

A Toyota/SCION dealership that doesn't know about a particular SCION model?!?!?!

<mega sarcasm ON> A dealership that doesn't know the product line!??! That's unheard of! <mega sarcasm OFF> That's been an annoyance with Scion for years, these lazy ignorant salesmen only know Prius/Corolla/ and the almighty Camry (even then most of them don't know half of what's in the brochure). No offense to the informed salesmen that do their homework and care about their jobs but there are too many shady slackers out there.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dnieves For This Useful Post:
Tagera (07-09-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 10:29 PM   #10
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
What's the worst that can happen? Engine rebuild for possible bent rods & electronics due to hydro lock (I don't know if parts and labor would approach the car's FMV).

What's the best situation? Spark plugs removed to remove the bulk of the water then everything from the intake to the exhaust gets opened up and dried out?

Best of luck either way, please keep us in the loop.
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:08 PM   #11
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,870 Times in 16,444 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That was sure a nasty break .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:28 PM   #12
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Reason why i got the BRZ from Heuberger SUBARU and not from bay ridge toyota(I asked them for upcoming models.....sigh)

Sad to hear this news man, I hope everything works out for you in the end. Get the monogram brah or a Subaru brz 2015 model(if they do come out with sport tech model).
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 PM   #13
Pacific Auto
Master Installer

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
If they do total it. I would buy the car back as a salvage and fix it up!
Pacific Auto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:05 AM   #14
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
If the water never reached the interior it seems like a long shot to me that they would total the car?
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
civdaddy (05-21-2014)