follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
Suberman
Banned

Drives: Subaru BRZ Sport Tech Satin White
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
OP: you're fine. All cars are essentially broken in at the factory. Motors are tested at low and high rpms. Maybe another reason for the break in procedure in the manual is to allow you time to get use to the car before you start drifting sideways at 7000 rpms.
Please tell us where you get this wrong information. Engines are assembled and installed. The only "testing" they get is as the finished car is moved around under its own power: out the door, to a storage yard, on a transporter, on a ship, in another storage yard or two on a transporter, and around the dealers lot. 20 miles tops.
Suberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post
Please tell us where you get this wrong information. Engines are assembled and installed. The only "testing" they get is as the finished car is moved around under its own power: out the door, to a storage yard, on a transporter, on a ship, in another storage yard or two on a transporter, and around the dealers lot. 20 miles tops.
Not sure if this applies to all engines built.. When I bought my last corvette, I did the museum delivery, flew out to the factory and picked up my car directly from the factory. ALL engines produced are fired up and tested using natural gas. This way they can be shipped without gasoline in them. (Engines made at different plant).
They are run to redline along with some other tests after assembly before being married to the chassis. I'm sure other OEMs use similar practices.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Our engines are also run up on natural gas, it's not a break-in procedure for the entire powertrain, it's just a quick test to QA function.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ft_sjo For This Useful Post:
Mikem53 (11-02-2013)
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #32
jeffchap

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Car is totaled. I'll give you $1200 and haul it off for you.

J/K, I hit the redline on the test drive in mine. You'll be fine.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #33
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllliam View Post
That only in the American manual then, because i read the manual i got with my GT86 front to back and there is no mention of any break in period in the entire manual.
I also checked with my local Toyota dealer and he also said that there is no break in for this car.
Seems strange to me that in America there is a 1000 mile break in necessary and in Europe we can go full throttle from day 1.
It is because America is home of the the lawyers. Lawyers in the company I work for have their hand in everything.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #34
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suberman View Post

I know for a fact that the engine in an Audi R8 is "tested" at very high rpms prior to insertion into the car. I find it difficult to believe that a company like Toyota doesn't test their motors for QA before it goes out the door. I stand corrected if I am incorrect.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #35
chriscross_tnt

Drives: 02 maxima 6spd sold 2013 frs daily
Garage
Off the dealer alot i was revving at 6k like a boss.... Dont believe in a "break in period"

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
chriscross_tnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #36
justbilly

Drives: 2013 fr-s 6mt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllliam View Post
That only in the American manual then, because i read the manual i got with my GT86 front to back and there is no mention of any break in period in the entire manual.
I also checked with my local Toyota dealer and he also said that there is no break in for this car.
Seems strange to me that in America there is a 1000 mile break in necessary and in Europe we can go full throttle from day 1.
I was told its like this in America because when they ship them overseas, they put a grease/oil on the exhaust that will burn off in higher RPMs emitting a smell. Nothing to worry about, but after 1000 miles the grease/oil should have disappeared and be fine to
justbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #37
Wyllliam

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar07 View Post
Its just there to protect toyota from lawsuits
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
It is because America is home of the the lawyers. Lawyers in the company I work for have their hand in everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbilly View Post
I was told its like this in America because when they ship them overseas, they put a grease/oil on the exhaust that will burn off in higher RPMs emitting a smell. Nothing to worry about, but after 1000 miles the grease/oil should have disappeared and be fine to
I checked the manual (it is the dutch version) in detail today and the break in periode is also mentioned in t he European manual. For the first 1600 km we are not allowed to go above 4000 rpm unless it is an emergency.
I think i had e few emergencies yesterday.

Its mentioned in a part of a the manual where i wouldn't search for it.
Drive procedures/ driving away on a slope.

And on monday i gonna pay my dealer a visit and ask him where he got his information about het break in period..
So it is not an American thing to cover themselfs for any lawsuits.
Wyllliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 07:24 AM   #38
Muskokan

Drives: white Sport-tech
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
lol im gunna guess its about 50% of people dont go by the break in period at all and drive there car hard from the lot. its not gunna do anything, i took a silver limited on 3 test drives, redlining it everytime and it had under 50km on it, if the break in period mattered at all, the guy that bought that one would know!
Muskokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #39
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,846 Times in 1,636 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
I drifted my 86 in a wet parking lot the day I got it.

The only way to reset the break in is to bounce the tach needle off the redline a few times.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #40
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae86stunt View Post
Launched at 7400 rpm with 7 miles on the odo, pulling out of the dealer.
I have 6k now, 0 problems.
Well. Good for you... But that proves nothing.. There is also more to a car than its engine. Gears need to be broken in and form a proper wear pattern, brakes need to seat as well.. Just because nothing broke as of yet.. Doesn't mean that tolerances and wear patterns aren't affected by extreme use. These things sometimes show up as too much slack or unexplainable clunks and clangs some miles down the road.. While nothing might not have come apart.. That doesn't mean that all is as it should be and problems might arise at a later time..
It's just common sense to allow thing to seat and get lots of heat cycles before you explore the limits.
Those who ever had an engine rebuilt know to follow a proper breakin procedure for long life... Well.. That goes for a new engine too.. And brakes and gears..
Just about every OEM has a breakin procedure documented.. Seems the OEM engineers might know a thing or two about their products...
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 09:26 AM   #41
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If Owners were planning to keep their cars forever .... Maybe they would be more inclined to follow the break-in schedule. How many people actually own their cars for longer than 4-5 years?
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #42
Brndn704

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
The OP was worried about going above 4000 during the 1000 mile breakin period, which is recommended by the manual.
Manual? What da hail is that?
Brndn704 is offline   Reply With Quote