follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #71
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb860 View Post
Is there a better sparkplug to run in our cars I'm getting a high gas smell coming from exhaust and was thinking maybe a hoter plug may burn the fuel and in return more power. I have uel headers with full exhaust no cats. Any thoughts?
No offense, but I think a review on the purpose of catalytic converters is in order.

And maybe a friendly little dope slap.
@humfrz, he is one of yours. Go straighten him out.
Old 12-03-2017, 02:44 PM   #72
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,816 Times in 16,425 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Is there a better sparkplug to run in our cars I'm getting a high gas smell coming from exhaust and was thinking maybe a hoter plug may burn the fuel and in return more power. I have uel headers with full exhaust no cats. Any thoughts?
Hello there Joeyb860 .........

Maybe you have seen my white FR-S around town ...... somewhere between Walmart (to get groceries), Walgreens (to get my drugs) and various doctors offices (to fix ma old body).

Ol @Ultramaroon summoned me to ....... enlighten you ......

Gas smell running no cats .....huh. Well now, have you noticed when you are pulling up south hill on Meridian and you get behind an old pickup truck ..... you notice that gas smell ......?? Well, that's because it's got a carburetor and no cats. That's just the way vehicles used to smell.

As far as your car, not running any cats ....... that's just the way it would be expected to smell.

I don't reckon there is anything wrong with your kind of spark plugs.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Sarlacc (12-03-2017), Ultramaroon (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:10 PM   #73
Joeyb860

Drives: 2017 860 SPRINTEK
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
An updated tune to keep fuel trim in check would be the first place I'd look.
Those mods would confuse the ECU without some fixing.
I have the oft but haven't been able to flash my ecu yet because I have a 2017 so I have to get an up dated set of maps.
Joeyb860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 04:24 PM   #74
Joeyb860

Garage
No I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello there Joeyb860 .........

Maybe you have seen my white FR-S around town ...... somewhere between Walmart (to get groceries), Walgreens (to get my drugs) and various doctors offices (to fix ma old body).

Ol @Ultramaroon summoned me to ....... enlighten you ......

Gas smell running no cats .....huh. Well now, have you noticed when you are pulling up south hill on Meridian and you get behind an old pickup truck ..... you notice that gas smell ......?? Well, that's because it's got a carburetor and no cats. That's just the way vehicles used to smell.

As far as your car, not running any cats ....... that's just the way it would be expected to smell.

I don't reckon there is anything wrong with your kind of spark plugs.

humfrz
I understand, maybe I was not clear in my post. I was just thinking that a hotter plug would burn more of the fuel. Just wanted to see if anyone had in put on different plugs. A no I have not noticed you but if you would like to meet up that fine just let me know.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:51 PM   #75
humfrz

Quote:
I understand, maybe I was not clear in my post. I was just thinking that a hotter plug would burn more of the fuel. Just wanted to see if anyone had in put on different plugs. A no I have not noticed you but if you would like to meet up that fine just let me know.
Well, back in the day, a hotter plug might have been a solution.

However, it's my understanding, that the range/brand/type of plugs for this car is limited, so a "hotter" plug may not be available......

So, whereabouts do you live in Puyallup ......??

humfrz

PS - If you drive that raw gas spewing machine down to southern Washington, you may wish to make a wide circle around Vancouver, WA, where @Ultramaroon lives, cause he don't like raw gas spewing cars ....... AND ..... he has this cousin, that is a sheriff and shares his dislike. That sheriff will impound your car and have it towed to his son-in-laws shop where Billy Bob will weld on a cat ....... for a pretty penny ......

humfrz
Attached Images

Last edited by humfrz; 12-03-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Sarlacc (12-03-2017), Ultramaroon (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #76
Joeyb860

Garage
Quote:
Well, back in the day, a hotter plug might have been a solution.

However, it's my understanding, that the range/brand/type of plugs for this car is limited, so a "hotter" plug may not be available......

So, whereabouts do you live in Puyallup ......??

humfrz
Off 160 and Meridian.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:00 PM   #77
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
You were clear and so is the need to review the purpose of catalytic converters. That noxious "gas" smell is not unburned fuel. It is mostly various oxides of nitrogen, which are by-products of the combustion process.

A hotter plug does nothing to help because the heat rating of the plug is more to operate it in a temperature hot enough to keep itself clean but not so hot as to cause preignition and dramatically shortened lifespan.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:39 PM   #78
Joeyb860

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
You were clear and so is the need to review the purpose of catalytic converters. That noxious "gas" smell is not unburned fuel. It is mostly various oxides of nitrogen, which are by-products of the combustion process.

A hotter plug does nothing to help because the heat rating of the plug is more to operate it in a temperature hot enough to keep itself clean but not so hot as to cause preignition and dramatically shortened lifespan.
You are right about the catalytic converter all except the fuel they also burn any fuel that was not burnt in the combustion camber. And I thought I must of not been clear about my question because I asked for information about spark plugs not catalytic converters. I was trying to use this forum to gain information from others who love these cars as I do and want to help each other in there build process and not jump all over someone for asking a question and assume thery are stupid. Also I thought a hotter plug in a cooler climate like the Pacific North West may do the trick since I do smell a heavy fuel smell on top of the normal non cat smell since my header install but was not sure since I'm not a car God just a car enthusiasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joeyb860 For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 08:15 PM   #79
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
not jump all over someone for asking a question and assume thery are stupid.
I feel bad if I gave you reason to assume that I assumed you were stupid. I was just trying to be direct and funny.

1. All catless twins smell that way no matter how perfect the tune.

2. If something was off with the AFR, even with an old carburetted engine, hotter plugs would not help. I tried to quickly explain the reason for plug heat ranges to support that assertion.

3. Moving forward, I suggest learning how to log and monitor engine operating parameters. I'm no expert but a few basics are easy to learn and really valuable. I'd be happy to share all I know but I can't promise I won't try to be funny.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:55 PM   #80
humfrz

Quote:
You are right about the catalytic converter all except the fuel they also burn any fuel that was not burnt in the combustion camber. And I thought I must of not been clear about my question because I asked for information about spark plugs not catalytic converters. I was trying to use this forum to gain information from others who love these cars as I do and want to help each other in there build process and not jump all over someone for asking a question and assume thery are stupid. Also I thought a hotter plug in a cooler climate like the Pacific North West may do the trick since I do smell a heavy fuel smell on top of the normal non cat smell since my header install but was not sure since I'm not a car God just a car enthusiasts.
Well now, Joeyb860, ol @Ultramaroon was .... jest ah messen wich ya ..... to a large degree. He is one of the "good guys" here on the forum.

I feel badly that I thought that you might be a stranger to automobiles and talked down to you ........ my bad .......

When we go to help someone who is relatively new to the forum, some of us tend to "assume" (God I hate that word) that the new member is younger and not familiar with how automobiles work.

See you (or hear or smell you) around town ...... There I go again ...... I just can't help myself .......

humfrz
Joeyb860 (12-04-2017), Ultramaroon (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 PM   #81
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Let's not forget what @bcj said about the stock tune being thrown out of whack. He has an excellent point. Even a canned tune will help, so your OFT is really all you need.

I would've thought Shiv had the 17s sorted out by now.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #82
Joeyb860

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Let's not forget what @bcj said about the stock tune being thrown out of whack. He has an excellent point. Even a canned tune will help, so your OFT is really all you need.

I would've thought Shiv had the 17s sorted out by now.
Idk I emailed him tonight but I've been going back and forth with him for over a week I'm almost ready to change my build plan and go with ecutek and an avo turbo. I wanted to do n/a until my warranty was up then do the oft 350 sbd set up but if it's this difficult to get support from oft then when I do there turbo it will worse you know.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:31 PM   #83
Joeyb860

Garage
Quote:
Well now, Joeyb860, ol @Ultramaroon was .... jest ah messen wich ya ..... to a large degree. He is one of the "good guys" here on the forum.

I feel badly that I thought that you might be a stranger to automobiles and talked down to you ........ my bad .......

When we go to help someone who is relatively new to the forum, some of us tend to "assume" (God I hate that word) that the new member is younger and not familiar with how automobiles work.

See you (or hear or smell you) around town ...... There I go again ...... I just can't help myself .......

humfrz
No worries brother I get it I work in a shop 10 hrs a day for a living as a service advisor Ive seen about everything you can think of but don't see much out of factory. Building this car is something I've wanted to do for a long time but it's my first import so alot for me to learn. My last toy was a 2010 ss camaro so I'm sure you will understand how different this car is for me. But so far I love it. I do have a quick temper so to everyone my bad, just didn't like to schooling part sounds like you get. Any help will be welcome and anything I can do will be done just let me know when and were. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joeyb860 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-04-2017), Ultramaroon (12-04-2017)
Old 12-04-2017, 11:56 PM   #84
humfrz

Quote:
No worries brother I get it I work in a shop 10 hrs a day for a living as a service advisor Ive seen about everything you can think of but don't see much out of factory. Building this car is something I've wanted to do for a long time but it's my first import so alot for me to learn. My last toy was a 2010 ss camaro so I'm sure you will understand how different this car is for me. But so far I love it. I do have a quick temper so to everyone my bad, just didn't like to schooling part sounds like you get. Any help will be welcome and anything I can do will be done just let me know when and were. Thanks.
Since you are a GM type, I have a front end/steering thing going on with mrs humfrz's 2007 Saturn Aura XR with 45,000 miles.

I'm going to take it in to a shop tomorrow for a look see/fix.

Here is what it's doing:

* at low speeds, going straight, the steering wheel "wobbles".

* at medium speeds, going down a hill, the brakes pulsate when lightly applied.

* when turning at low speeds (not a sharp turn), the power steering pump "howls".

Now, I have some ideas, but I don't want to lead the witness.

What do you think should be checked and/or is wrong with it .....??

OK, back to FR-Ss. You will find that there are several folks here on the forum that are quite knowledgeable about the workings of the FA20 engine ..... and they are usually quite helpful when asked.

So, what did I screw up on mrs humfrz's Saturn.

NO, @Tcoat or @Ultramaroon ..... I don't think slamming it into a parking garage pillar ...... going backwards ...... messed up the front end ......

humfrz