follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Aussie

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
2013 Scion FR-S Valve Spring Replacement Recall

Hello All,

Yesterday I received a notice from Toyota about the 2013 Scion FR-S Valve Spring Replacement Recall. Other than the inconvenience, if my car were stock this would not be a problem. However, my car has the Works Stage 2 Turbo kit which I suspect will be an issue.

Are there any authorized Toyota dealers that would perform the recall without throwing their hands up in the air about the turbo kit?

Is there any other way I can have the mandatory recall performed without incurring a huge expense?

Thanks
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
Hello All,

Yesterday I received a notice from Toyota about the 2013 Scion FR-S Valve Spring Replacement Recall. Other than the inconvenience, if my car were stock this would not be a problem. However, my car has the Works Stage 2 Turbo kit which I suspect will be an issue.

Are there any authorized Toyota dealers that would perform the recall without throwing their hands up in the air about the turbo kit?

Is there any other way I can have the mandatory recall performed without incurring a huge expense?

Thanks
At the very least they will charge for the extra labor hours added from the turbo. Brandon at Melody Toyota as contacted the facebook group and will do the work though. I would call and talk to him for details. Many of us will be going though which makes me more confidant in the work and he seems very willing to work with us on rentals, spark plug changes for no extra labor cost, etc.

Also, there would be no warranty on the labor after the recall is performed

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Aussie (01-06-2019), ndsleep612 (01-06-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
kster1

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Any suggestions for a Subaru dealer? My under the hood modifications are an oil cooler and catch can.

Has anyone local had this done on their BRZ?
kster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kster1 For This Useful Post:
Bones36 (01-12-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Cjymiller
Original 2013 Owner

Drives: 13 BRZ, Galaxy Blue Silica
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Am I correct in assuming they have to pull the motor for this task? I really dislike the thought of a tech who doesn't care, pulling off the cams and forgetting bolts when they put it back together.
Perrin Headerback, OFH, OFT, Ohlins R&T MI20, 17x9 Weds TC105N, Hankook RS4 (235/40), TOM's JDM Tails, PCV AOS, Perrin Crank Pulley, Perrin Rear Trans. Mount, Whiteline Shift Bushing, SS brake Lines, Hawk DTC60, Bayson R Lip Kit, LED Lighting , Smoked JDM Sidemarkers, Rear Fog Enable, Carsmo Armrest, Grimmspeed Plate Relocater
φφκα
Cjymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjymiller View Post
Am I correct in assuming they have to pull the motor for this task? I really dislike the thought of a tech who doesn't care, pulling off the cams and forgetting bolts when they put it back together.
Yes, they pull the motor.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Jeffboyarrdee (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 03:22 AM   #6
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Garage
I went to Toyota of Oakland. It's still there, so I don't know if there will be any surprises. The service rep had no issues with my oil cooler or header. I pointed them out to him. Tooting around in a RAV4 right now.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #7
kster1

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I just called Livermore Subaru and made an appt for late March. They are saying that they are still waiting for parts however to perform the recalls.
kster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:04 PM   #8
CandyFRS

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout 5AD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
East Bay Dealerships

Anybody from the East Bay brought their car in for this? I'm in Concord and will probably go to Concord Toyota as it's closest to my house.
CandyFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 PM   #9
frscory

Drives: 2013 scion frs firestorm red
I too have a turbo kit on mine and would like to know where to go in east bay! Any info would be great thanks!
frscory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:46 AM   #10
Aussie

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
At the very least they will charge for the extra labor hours added from the turbo. Brandon at Melody Toyota as contacted the facebook group and will do the work though. I would call and talk to him for details. Many of us will be going though which makes me more confidant in the work and he seems very willing to work with us on rentals, spark plug changes for no extra labor cost, etc.

Also, there would be no warranty on the labor after the recall is performed
I can confirm that Brandon Chang at Melody Toyota was simply excellent. Melody Toyota were happy to work on my turbo charged FR-S. For the recall they charge $100/hr for any additional labor that your modifications add to the time necessary to do the recall. In my case it was 4 hours. In addition, at my request, they replaced the throw-out bearing, inspected the clutch, changed the spark plugs and replaced the coil pack on cylinder one. In total they took two weeks to perform the recall and were kind enough to send me photos of the engine showing me the cause of a small oil leak they that was rectified by tightening a fixture on the oil return line from the turbo.

I've had the car back for two weeks now and it runs really well, as well as it did before the recall. If you have a modified car and need the recall done I would very much recommend call Brandon at Melody Toyota in San Bruno.
Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aussie For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
I can confirm that Brandon Chang at Melody Toyota was simply excellent. Melody Toyota were happy to work on my turbo charged FR-S. For the recall they charge $100/hr for any additional labor that your modifications add to the time necessary to do the recall. In my case it was 4 hours. In addition, at my request, they replaced the throw-out bearing, inspected the clutch, changed the spark plugs and replaced the coil pack on cylinder one. In total they took two weeks to perform the recall and were kind enough to send me photos of the engine showing me the cause of a small oil leak they that was rectified by tightening a fixture on the oil return line from the turbo.

I've had the car back for two weeks now and it runs really well, as well as it did before the recall. If you have a modified car and need the recall done I would very much recommend call Brandon at Melody Toyota in San Bruno.
Nice. Glad it worked out

The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
Aussie (12-02-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 06:42 AM   #12
doggieboy09
Sènior Member

Drives: '22 BRZ |'13 BRZ SSC (formerly)
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Had mine done at Fremont Subaru two months ago. Granted I don't drive as much as I used to but the engine seems to be in perfect running condition at the moment. Paid for cam carriers that were leaking apparently. Cost me a $1000. Also replaced the front drive belt done as a favor from the dealer. Had a cylinder head replaced at Subaru's cost due to another dealership cross threading a spark plug hole. Service was good and knowledgeable on the J02 recall. A+ for Premier Subaru Fremont.
doggieboy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doggieboy09 For This Useful Post:
steezypenguin (12-03-2019)
Old 12-07-2019, 04:11 PM   #13
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieboy09 View Post
Had mine done at Fremont Subaru two months ago. Granted I don't drive as much as I used to but the engine seems to be in perfect running condition at the moment. Paid for cam carriers that were leaking apparently. Cost me a $1000. Also replaced the front drive belt done as a favor from the dealer. Had a cylinder head replaced at Subaru's cost due to another dealership cross threading a spark plug hole. Service was good and knowledgeable on the J02 recall. A+ for Premier Subaru Fremont.
Jesus, what dealer cross threaded a spark plug hole? This is why everyone hates dealers and 2013 owners hates subaru for the recall.
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #14
Project N64

Drives: 2017 Impreza S,2013 BRZ,2005 STI
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggieboy09 View Post
I too went to premier subaru and they discovered leaky cam carriers, they wanted to charge me the same 1k but instead I had them contact my third party warranty company where they ended up charging them little over 2k for the repair. When I got my car back I noticed a whine at 3k rpms in 3rd/4th that I never had before, then about 3 days later when gassing up i noticed my rear wheel was curbed. I brought this up to them and they basically told me there's nothing they will do about it. Going to take car in to an independent shop for that whine, I have regularly taken my two subarus to fremont and have had bad experiences which has led me to taking my cars all the way to Garage one subaru in Campbell from hayward for maintenance/repairs. Make sure to always inspect cars before driving off, I learned the hard way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Project N64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Project N64 For This Useful Post:
doggieboy09 (12-20-2019)