follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Is my Cusco catch can correctly installed?

Have asked this before but it somehow got buried.

The instructions provided were Japanese and only showed an install for the front crankcase vent. It is my understanding the PCV is the main vent for crankcase blowby and for a daily driver with spirited use this is the one to vent, if any.

So, I split the provided tubing into 2 pieces. One end goes from the PCV to the can. The other from the can to the regular entrance to the intalke manifold that the PCV was piped to.

The tubing diameter was way too big for the PCV outlet barb so I improvised. I removed the bark tube apparatus previously. Turns out the interchangeable "noisemaker" is a perfect adaptor for the pipe to the PCV. I removed the foam and crap inside the grey elbow on the bark tube and used it to hook the tube to the PCV. I will keep an eye on the plastic to see if it can withstand the heat exposure but so far so good.

I havent found a non-hack part to adapt tube to PCV but would appreciate suggestions.

People with real knowledge please confirm that the hookup is OK. I have also heard it should just vent to atmosphere for the can to be effective vs under vacuum. Then Id need to plug the PCV to manifold inlet. What if I stuff a bunch of steel wool through a barb inlet of the bottle to help catch suspended blowby?
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
ok, where the PCV runs to the intake near the TB ... you unplug that hose and use the adapter (plastic tube) to adapt the hose to the new Cusco hose. That line will run into the side of the catch can on the drivers side of the engine bay.

you then use the plug supplied to block the now present hole.

the hose on the other side of the catch can you can run down to wherever and run it as atmospheric.

easy.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Thank you for the input. I actually used the supplied plug for the growl tube hole in the firewall. Please bear with me here...does the system work under vacuum as I have set it? Not too keen about venting this to the atmosphere. I thought venting it was optional.

Also discarded the rubber molded PCV hose as it seemed like a long and clumsy way to route the gas.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
can you get a picture?

A catchcan should be sealed for your application and really should be an air/oil separator. The only place it should be hooked up to is in the line going from the back of the block to the intake manifold. The line going from the front of the block to the intake tube prior to the throttle body can be vented to atmosphere, just plug the hole in the intake tube and put a filter on the end of the hose. If the can is simply hollow, steal wool isn't a bad idea. I've also heard of plastic alternatives, but I'd stick with steal as I'm not sure how the plastic will deal with the corrosive gasses.
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
You know, the Cusco unit is actually a beautifully made piece. So much so that there are actual counterfeits in the market.

The flaw with this unit is the incorrect Japanese instructions showing a hookup to the front crankcase vent but not the PCV. Also there is no fitting provided to attach the supplied tubing of 15mm to the 9 mm PCV outlet barb. Then there's the absence of an internal baffle which makes me wonder how much oil mist will actually separate from the air under vacuum.

I just removed one of the outlet barbs on the can and worked in a bunch of fluffed up wads of stainless steelwool. That should provide a decent baffle between the inlet/outlet.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
You know, the Cusco unit is actually a beautifully made piece. So much so that there are actual counterfeits in the market.

The flaw with this unit is the incorrect Japanese instructions showing a hookup to the front crankcase vent but not the PCV. Also there is no fitting provided to attach the supplied tubing of 15mm to the 9 mm PCV outlet barb. Then there's the absence of an internal baffle which makes me wonder how much oil mist will actually separate from the air under vacuum.

I just removed one of the outlet barbs on the can and worked in a bunch of fluffed up wads of stainless steelwool. That should provide a decent baffle between the inlet/outlet.
I'd sell it and get one of these.

http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...63433/10002/-1
Calum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I am sure you would.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
tonytduc

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

Where did you get the fitting? 15mm to 9mm
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytduc View Post
Where did you get the fitting? 15mm to 9mm
You know the grey sound tube that TRD makes interchangeable sets in red, blue and green? Since I have removed the whole growl tube tubes and plugged the firewall I used the stock grey tube. Reamed it out inside before to remove foam and a restrictive plastic criss cross. It works but dunno about temperature since my car is garaged. Frankly, I'm looking for any better solution.)
The Following User Says Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
tonytduc (01-21-2013)
Old 02-24-2014, 09:49 PM   #10
Takumi788
JHerbert Racing

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,186 Times in 593 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Garage
For future notice, the 15mm to 9mm hose adapter can be purchased. Vividracing, FRSport, and FT86 Speedfactory all have that adapter.

http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/c...-p-114206.html
- #813 2013 Scion FRS Build Thread
- JHerbert Racing Website
Takumi788 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Takumi788 For This Useful Post:
Efferalgan (03-21-2014)