follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
BeltedBiscuit

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Borla cat-back w/ UEL header tested at the track

I was sound testing the Borla set up last week at Laguna Secca to make sure it would pass the 92db limit for that track. It passed just fine and still sounded great.

Power from the UEL header and cat-back was very noticeable at this track.
I have video from inside the car posted here. It sounds much better from outside the car but you can get an idea of what you'll hear while driving hard: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25094
BeltedBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeltedBiscuit For This Useful Post:
number1Tango (12-27-2012)
Old 12-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
AlvinT@Borla

Drives: vw mk4 r32
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
88-91dBA is terrific news for those who plan to track their FR-S using Borla Header 17284 + Cat-back 140496. Knowing that there are no issues passing sound @ MRLS answers this question for many FR-S/BRZ track owners with our cat-back. It's comforting to know adding our UEL Header will allow them to have both performance and that awesome boxer-engine sound!

At Borla Performance we prefer to sound-test @ Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca since they've enforced sound-limits for years and many racers are familiar with their standard. Recently we confirmed our Spec Miata Race Exhaust System also complies with MRLS 92 dBA sound limit.

Thanks again Chris for posting this video. Looks like you had a great time in the rain - MRLS is fun regardless of the weather. You're right about the rain and how sound limits can take the reading higher than a dry track day.
AlvinT@Borla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
bigjake

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i hope now that borla aquired twm they will make an affordable itb kit for the FRS
bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #4
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinT@Borla View Post
88-91dBA is terrific news for those who plan to track their FR-S using Borla Header 17284 + Cat-back 140496. Knowing that there are no issues passing sound @ MRLS answers this question for many FR-S/BRZ track owners with our cat-back. It's comforting to know adding our UEL Header will allow them to have both performance and that awesome boxer-engine sound!

At Borla Performance we prefer to sound-test @ Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca since they've enforced sound-limits for years and many racers are familiar with their standard. Recently we confirmed our Spec Miata Race Exhaust System also complies with MRLS 92 dBA sound limit.

Thanks again Chris for posting this video. Looks like you had a great time in the rain - MRLS is fun regardless of the weather. You're right about the rain and how sound limits can take the reading higher than a dry track day.
Any ETA on these i've had a lot of interest and a few sold already just waiting on shipment.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
AlvinT@Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBoxer View Post
Any ETA on these i've had a lot of interest and a few sold already just waiting on shipment.
Interest in very high on this hot product. We are shipping 17284 early January'13. Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to AlvinT@Borla For This Useful Post:
JoeBoxer (12-28-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
AlvinT@Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
i hope now that borla aquired twm they will make an affordable itb kit for the FRS
Off topic discussion. This has been discussed as an off-road-use only product.
What is affordable to you?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Interest in very high on this hot product. We are shipping 17284 early January'13. Thanks!
So tempting... good price, great UEL sound, and a great warranty. Probably going to wait a bit for some more headers to show up, but Borla products are never disappointing.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #8
LIKEABOSS

Drives: 2013 Boss 302 & 2013 FR-S
Quote:

I installed your cat back system last week on my FR-S and it sounds fantastic! You all really dialed in a great sound with no drone! It now sounds like a proper sports car. How about a proper Borla H-Pipe Quad Exhaust setup for my Boss? Matching header with high-flow cats that don't throw a code with the Track Key tune would be nice as well.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
gmookher
Banned

Drives: VortechSC,BorlaEL,Perrin,GCRace
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I've signed on, and am waiting for my pitcher of kool aid to ship, Equal Length for some, UEL for others. I'm told the EL will be shipping a few weeks after the UEL.

I expect this part from Borla to hold up every bit as good as my last part I purchased from Borla.

While the headers are an ideal upgrade for any NA motor, its even more interesting to see what it does for my FI project. Thanks Borla!
gmookher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #10
AlvinT@Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
I installed your cat back system last week on my FR-S and it sounds fantastic! You all really dialed in a great sound with no drone! It now sounds like a proper sports car. How about a proper Borla H-Pipe Quad Exhaust setup for my Boss? Matching header with high-flow cats that don't throw a code with the Track Key tune would be nice as well.
Glad you're happy with our FR-S cat-back... it sounds terrific!
Off-topic: We plan a Borla BOSS302 mid-pipe to work with 11789, 60521
Thanks for your interest in Borla!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
bigjake

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S, Firestorm
Quote:
Off topic discussion. This has been discussed as an off-road-use only product.
What is affordable to you?
Alvin, it depends if it gives me what I want, I don't want a maf, so it would have to allow me to run velocity stacks. I think as a bolt on kit, 3500 would be doable.
bigjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #12
AlvinT@Borla

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
Alvin, it depends if it gives me what I want, I don't want a maf, so it would have to allow me to run velocity stacks. I think as a bolt on kit, 3500 would be doable.
PM sent.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
JoeBoxer

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 1,627 Times in 997 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Does the header come with new gaskets?
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Lawnik

Drives: Flat grey Toyota 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
When will the diffuser be available for the cat back?
Lawnik is offline   Reply With Quote