follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 06-10-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
SpectreRT

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
P0420 & ECUTek

Hi all, did a search for this and found some good information. Trying to find 1 more little detail...

Can anyone confirm, or provide a screenshot, of passing DTC Emission Readiness after having ECUTek (or OFT) disable DTC code P0420 (cat efficiency)?

I've read conflicting messages that disabling the code will not allow DTC Readiness checks to complete... and other say that it completes without any issue or error.

Perhaps someone can provide a Torque / Dash Commander screen shot showing all pass and/or inability to complete?

Thanks! If this has already happened; please let me know/link to the page so I can be properly humiliated and educated.
SpectreRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #2
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Yes their has been various discussions and answers.

AFAIK disabling P0420 with any tune system just disables the code from activating the CEL and stops ECU taking any action on that code like stopping cruise control working.

the Readyness checks are done by a separate area of the ECU program hence you will still fail a readiness check regardless of wether P0420 code is disabled or enabled, the readiness check want to see the actual data from the sensors they use the data and run it through some checks to see if its normal. this is why some readiness checks require you to actually drive the car for a period of time before they are set to good this can take up to 30 minutes or more in some cases after an ecu reset or reflash.

Im not an expert on all the different tests done in different states but apparently some states your allowed to have one readiness check failed ??

If you have a Flex fuel kit installed in either the Evap input or the rear 02 your going to fail another readiness check or maybe two as those inputs being repurposed to flex sensor will cause abnotmal reading for readiness checks even though the tuner has likely disabled all the CEL codes associated with Evap Purge and rear 02 readings.

It would be possible for the Ecutek engineers (or other ECU code hackers) to falsify the readness checks but it my understanding they don't as it would probably run them into legal hassles with the various EPA and governments round the world.

I have checked with torque app on a tune with P0420 disabled and a readiness check failed.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
SpectreRT (06-10-2016), Teseo (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #3
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Yes their has been various discussions and answers.

AFAIK disabling P0420 with any tune system just disables the code from activating the CEL and stops ECU taking any action on that code like stopping cruise control working.

the Readyness checks are done by a separate area of the ECU program hence you will still fail a readiness check regardless of wether P0420 code is disabled or enabled, the readiness check want to see the actual data from the sensors.

Im not an expert on all the different tests done in different states but apparently some states your allowed to have one readiness check failed ??

If you have a Flex fuel kit installed in either the Evap input or the rear 02 your going to fail another readiness check or maybe two as those inputs being repurposed to flex sensor will cause abnotmal reading for readiness checks even though the tuner has likely disabled all the CEL codes associated with Evap Purge and rear 02 readings.

It would be possible for the Ecutek engineers (or other ECU code hackers) to falsify the readness checks but it my understanding they don't as it would probably run them into legal hassles with the various EPA and governments round the world.

I have checked with torque app on a tune with P0420 disabled and a readiness check failed.
Thanks for the reply! I've had a few folks I know comment they are passing emissions fine but i've not seen a screen-shot of their DTC Readiness for validation. I know I, and others, are confused and "looking for closure."

Have a screen cap to share? Anyone else reading/posting/etc care to chime in?

@CSG Mike
Old 06-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #4
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
I have it disabled and the system does not pass readyness check

There are states where you are allowed one system not ready and can pass emissions.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
SpectreRT (06-10-2016), Teseo (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 09:26 PM   #5
SpectreRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
I have it disabled and the system does not pass readyness check

There are states where you are allowed one system not ready and can pass emissions.
Can you share what specifically did not pass Readiness? Anything catalyst related?

Have any screen caps of what passes/incomplete? Added mine showing all complete via Android TorquePro
Attached Images

Old 06-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectreRT View Post
Can you share what specifically did not pass Readiness? Anything catalyst related?

Have any screen caps of what passes/incomplete? Added mine showing all complete via Android TorquePro
I don't remember right now, it was about two years ago the last time I looked, no screenshots unfortunately. I'll try to remember to check next time I'm on the car.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sportsguy83 For This Useful Post:
SpectreRT (06-10-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
SpectreRT

Bump; wanted to see if anyone else would / could chime in. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:27 PM   #8
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Disabling the code means you're probably not gonna pas a particular readiness test.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote