follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 08-13-2015, 11:15 PM   #2395
Jhood

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited [6MT/SWP]
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindfold View Post
a minor question, how do you guys deal with the overwhelming EWG noise on the daily basis? Would re-routing the wastegate dump tube back into downpipe decrease the noise significantly?

Duhh it's a racecar, it's supposed to be loud But on a serious note, yes a recirculating dumptube would decrease the noise, like a stock turbo car.
Jhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 12:04 AM   #2396
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
a minor question, how do you guys deal with the overwhelming EWG noise on the daily basis? Would re-routing the wastegate dump tube back into downpipe decrease the noise significantly?
Yes, and yes. You need to be very careful about dumping into the downpipe though. It has to be pretty far from the turbo (IIRC 18+" otherwise it will create additional pressure working against the turbo. Where they merge also need to be a smooth transition (>45 degree angle into the downpipe.) I've considered this myself though the space issues seem a total nightmare once you get past the 02sensors and closer towards the overpipe.

There are also tiny mufflers you can add to your wastegate. Old Posche 911's did this and there are many DIYer's that have thrown everything from motorcycle to go kart mufflers on. Supertrapp and Vibrant Performance both make a wastegate muffler if your wanting something. You just need to find the sweet spot as too much restriction and the wastegate won't be able to properly function... though it is only slightly less noisy.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:54 AM   #2397
blackfireball5

Drives: Scion FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I personally love my screaming seal. Haha. I have the Invidia Q300 so it's fairly quiet under normal driving conditions, but a bit meaner sounding, but then wot and she's angry. Lol.

Use code TWW-BOO5TED when shopping at Wheelwell to receive 10% off your order.
blackfireball5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 02:42 AM   #2398
blindfold

Drives: brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhood View Post
Duhh it's a racecar, it's supposed to be loud But on a serious note, yes a recirculating dumptube would decrease the noise, like a stock turbo car.

because race car, got it. Thanks for the later bits of info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
Yes, and yes. You need to be very careful about dumping into the downpipe though. It has to be pretty far from the turbo (IIRC 18+" otherwise it will create additional pressure working against the turbo. Where they merge also need to be a smooth transition (>45 degree angle into the downpipe.) I've considered this myself though the space issues seem a total nightmare once you get past the 02sensors and closer towards the overpipe.

There are also tiny mufflers you can add to your wastegate. Old Posche 911's did this and there are many DIYer's that have thrown everything from motorcycle to go kart mufflers on. Supertrapp and Vibrant Performance both make a wastegate muffler if your wanting something. You just need to find the sweet spot as too much restriction and the wastegate won't be able to properly function... though it is only slightly less noisy.
I saw the recirculate dumptube option on FBM website, so i'm not certain of the details... i had a STI with EWG and i could not live with it everyday thus i'm very hesitant about going on the external dump setup again. Also looking at Greddy's t518z turbo, small sized and it looks promising for 300whp fun.
blindfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #2399
xDBOYx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Still trying to get my turbo kit installed, with my busy work and home life I have very little time for the car. Also ran into a few issues that LJ addressed like I expected he would. @FullBlown by far has the best customer service hands down, this was was I bought their kit.
xDBOYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 07:55 AM   #2400
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDBOYx View Post
Still trying to get my turbo kit installed, with my busy work and home life I have very little time for the car. Also ran into a few issues that LJ addressed like I expected he would. @FullBlown by far has the best customer service hands down, this was was I bought their kit.
I feel you on the installing part. This will be my 3rd day after work. Everything has been going really well but the issues I thought I had, which ended up not being an issue at all. I'm just waiting on my base map to be emailed and I should be rocking and rolling this weekend.

Customer service is great.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #2401
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
because race car, got it. Thanks for the later bits of info.

I saw the recirculate dumptube option on FBM website, so i'm not certain of the details... i had a STI with EWG and i could not live with it everyday thus i'm very hesitant about going on the external dump setup again. Also looking at Greddy's t518z turbo, small sized and it looks promising for 300whp fun.
Yeah you will need a new downpipe too though. My guess is only about 10 percent of the kits have shipped with the recirced dump tube. I had it on mine, but I don't have any good pics of it.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #2402
ben15r

Drives: FBM stage 1 rebadged FRS
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
All I did was replaced and moved the clamps on the boots it's been driven in the rain and sat in the rain and no more issues, when I put the clamps on used a battery impact to run then down and the second time stripped them by hand
ben15r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 PM   #2403
willharp360

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got my FRS tuned yesterday. Made 254hp/201trq on 7psi
willharp360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #2404
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by willharp360 View Post
Got my FRS tuned yesterday. Made 254hp/201trq on 7psi
Bless those mustang dynos. What turbo do you have 57trim?
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #2405
willharp360

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Bless those mustang dynos. What turbo do you have 57trim?
I'm running the gt2871r
willharp360 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willharp360 For This Useful Post:
blackfireball5 (08-21-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #2406
grant

Drives: too many to list
Looking for some help with the my wife’s FBM base kit W/GTX2871R. I have been in contact with FBM, and thought I would see if anyone else might be experiencing the same issues. The issue is leaking oil out the cold side of the turbo (possibly hot side, haven’t pulled the DP to look to see).

History on the car, bought the kit in dec/13 life got in the way and installed it this spring. Car had 15,000km on upon install, roughly 3km after install spun rod on original motor while driving under 2psi boost trying to warm up the car to confirm the coolant was “burped”. A 2015 stock motor was sourced with under 300km on it and now has 2600km boosted.

I noticed oil dripping out of the cold side around 700km on new motor install. I immediately contacted a local turbo rebuilder for his $0.02. He told me to do the following steps to attempt to fix the issue.
- atmospheric catch can – done at 1700km
- drop the oil level to half or slight under (if return line was partially restricted by oil level) – done at 1000km when I changed the oil on new motor
- remove return line to see if its obstructed – done at 2000km

I chose the first 2 first because they were easier than the return line due to another car being on my hoist, they had no obvious affect. Upon removing the oil return (wasn’t blocked/restricted) I was immediately surprised that oil was running out of the weld in oil return line. I was stunned at first because that line is easily 1.5” above the top of the pan, and from everything I have ever known, the oil return has to be above the oil level. Then looking at the pan it occurred that there is no way the oil capacity of 5L could fit in into the pan by itself, meaning that the oil level must be above the pan and into the block.. I contacted FBM and they requested to have the turbo inspected by a turbo rebuilder to confirm there was no damage done to the it from the original motor. I had him inspect in on Friday and he also came and looked at the turbo setup. He was extremely impressed by the quality of the kit, the only one he has seen previously was the AVO. He did say that he was extremely concerned with the return line being below the oil level, basically said the kit needs to have a scavenge pump setup if it runs like this.

On the Friday after hearing the turbo was “like new” and fine to drive the car while figuring out a fix for the oil leakage, I decided to go a different route and had a larger oil return made with a 300ml (ish) catch can/surge tank sorta thing installed to see if that would possibly stop the back pressure from the pan to the turbo. Wife and I took the car to the Subaru hypermeet on the weekend and put 450ish highway km on it, I checked it when I got back to my shop this morning and there was still a bit of oil dropping out of the cold side. I’m likely going to let her drive it for the rest of the week and monitor it, but I’m leaning towards having a scavenge setup built, but I have dumped so much money into this car this year with so little seat time I would love someone to come up with a solution that will save me the $1000(ish).
grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #2407
FullBlown

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,026 Times in 548 Posts
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Grant, it is possible that when you spun the bearing you could of gotten bearing material in the turbo and ruined the seals.
FullBlown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:19 AM   #2408
grant

Drives: too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBlown View Post
Grant, it is possible that when you spun the bearing you could of gotten bearing material in the turbo and ruined the seals.
Like I said I had the turbo inspected, and everything is fine. That also doesn't take into account that the oil return is below the oil level. Via PM's it appears I might not be alone
grant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best company ever, big fuck off turbo, blown, bow chicka wow wow, fbm, full, owners, powaaaaaa!, thread, will work for turbo