follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 AM   #1
Pizzachicken

Drives: Asphalt '16 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Alpine S-SPS65 or Something Else?

I've been looking at the Alpine S-S65C as a replacement component set for the fronts, powered by a 45w RMS amp. Has anyone installed these in their cars, or any thoughts on this set? I'm basically trying to build my first semi-serious setup with knowledge only from what I read online. Looking mainly for more clarity and bass kick in the doors to pair with my 10in sub. Some people complained about the lack of low-end bass on this model, but does that matter if I have a sub? I don't know their application, and understand that audio is subjective.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SS6...=Alpine_S-S65c

Alpine has their higher R class Alpine R-S65C for double the price. Handles 100w RMS instead of 80w. Without being able to hear the difference and only reading specs, I was wondering if it would be recommended to dish out more to do it right the first time around. If I choose these, I'd have to find another amp. Does the extra 20 RMS make clarity any better (say at low volumes), or does it simply mean it can play louder? I'm looking for more bass/kick and quality, not necessarily loudness.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500RS6...-S65c&skipvs=T

In other words, does a higher price tag/class and power handling = better sound quality? I'm basically hoping the S class version is good enough for me and that I won't know better. From reading too much online, I can't tell the difference between subjective opinions from picky audiophiles and don't want to be misled to pay more than my needs. Any other opinions/speaker recommendations welcomed.

Last edited by Pizzachicken; 05-24-2019 at 01:13 AM. Reason: Links
Pizzachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:27 AM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Sounds like you need to take a trip to your local car audio store.
Those would sound great regardless. You don't need to buy another amp. Your current one would do the job just fine.

As for the more expensive model, yes it would be a better speaker.

As for the bass, that's going to depend on countless factors.
Ideally you want that mid bass punch on the 6" woofers. Let the sub do the deep low bass.

But then again one of those factors is your crossover point on your amp. You want a nice flat mesh with the woofers drop off point and the subs starting point. But eh that's a deep spiral of audiophile junk.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Alpine is not for clarity. or sound quality. https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/ is really the place to look and ask questions. They have people that compete in world championships all the way to people that know exactly what dirt cheap components are actually worth buying and which are the ones to avoid.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote