follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 AM   #57
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
I'm also in the 70+ age range. Believe it or not, sticking with the non-PP wheels, tires, suspension AND using a good gel pillow for my wife (who weighs less than 100 lbs), works best. It turns out that the thin padding on the seats transfers the jarring and when that is subdued, the ride seems a lot smoother. I'm thinking about having extra padding put in the bottom of the seat. We actually have a similar problem in our SUV, believe it or not, and she uses the cushion there as well.
I trialled a couple of gel cushions and one does exactly what I wanted. The jarring and jiggly ride now feels nicely damped so much so that I think everyone should give it a try. All it cost was $20 Australian and I know I could have spent a heap on spring/damper experimentation and maybe never have got it to feel right. I reckon the o.e. seats could have been tuned by the makers to much better match the suspension. The feeling I get is that the wheels are more stuck on the road even though the suspension is the same and I am inclined to throw the car around more.
The tradeoff is a feeling of being perched up on the seat rather than down in it and not located by it as much resulting in a a slight feeling of wallowing and body roll which you would expect. I have lowered the seat to the max to compensate and got used to it quickly. Previously I had the seat raised about 40mm.
The cushion I like is 430 X 330 X 60 mm and quite heavy due to a generous bag of gel inside a cover of quite soft 30 mm foam both top and bottom and around the sides. It is not memory foam. My feeling is that is the gel that is doing most of the work. Maybe getting rid of the foam and just using the bag in your seat would do the trick and be better than adding extra padding. Widthwise it is a perfect snug fit between the side bolsters but I will be trimming the foam to fit back between the seat-back bolsters. It could do with an hollow for the wedding tackle too and maybe a little foam off the front as it presses on the back of my thighs up by the knees. At $20 I can afford experimenting.
rvoll (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #58
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
I trialled a couple of gel cushions and one does exactly what I wanted. The jarring and jiggly ride now feels nicely damped so much so that I think everyone should give it a try. All it cost was $20 Australian and I know I could have spent a heap on spring/damper experimentation and maybe never have got it to feel right. I reckon the o.e. seats could have been tuned by the makers to much better match the suspension. The feeling I get is that the wheels are more stuck on the road even though the suspension is the same and I am inclined to throw the car around more.
The tradeoff is a feeling of being perched up on the seat rather than down in it and not located by it as much resulting in a a slight feeling of wallowing and body roll which you would expect. I have lowered the seat to the max to compensate and got used to it quickly. Previously I had the seat raised about 40mm.
The cushion I like is 430 X 330 X 60 mm and quite heavy due to a generous bag of gel inside a cover of quite soft 30 mm foam both top and bottom and around the sides. It is not memory foam. My feeling is that is the gel that is doing most of the work. Maybe getting rid of the foam and just using the bag in your seat would do the trick and be better than adding extra padding. Widthwise it is a perfect snug fit between the side bolsters but I will be trimming the foam to fit back between the seat-back bolsters. It could do with an hollow for the wedding tackle too and maybe a little foam off the front as it presses on the back of my thighs up by the knees. At $20 I can afford experimenting.
Glad it worked out for you. I guess a more permanent solution would be to get butt implants!!!!!! Both my wife and I sit rather low so raising us an inch or so is actually better....
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:30 PM   #59
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notout86 View Post
Hey mate,

Do you have a link where you picked it up or which store you got it from?
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:24 PM   #60
notout86

Drives: GTS 86 auto
I didn't post a link as this is a U.S. (mainly) site but I c u r an Aussie too.

Got it from Cheap As Chips. MA2488 Amazing Gel Comfort Cushion 34. They also have a black car cushion HA9255 Cooling Gel Cushion 4 which was the other one I tried but it didn't seem to do much. I cannot find any gel inside that one despite the description... only a rubbery pad with big holes for air circulation.
monkeybike (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 01:42 AM   #61
monkeybike

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks mate, the wife thanks you!
monkeybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:16 AM   #62
86_IT

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Looking at rear LCAs like the SPL units where there are 3 shock mounting holes am I correct in stating that mounting the shocks in the outermost hole (closest to the hub) will effectively increase the rear spring rate/wheel rate?
Old 11-11-2018, 12:01 AM   #63
Stevemode

Drives: "Baby Gurl" of FBM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86_IT View Post
Looking at rear LCAs like the SPL units where there are 3 shock mounting holes am I correct in stating that mounting the shocks in the outermost hole (closest to the hub) will effectively increase the rear spring rate/wheel rate?

Moving the shock mount towards the hub would increase the motion ratio which would put more spring force (weight) on the spring, but the spring rate (on a linear rated spring) would remain constant throughout. It would only compress the spring further than it would if it were mounted on a shock mount more towards the control arm pivot point.

For my car I've only spec'd out the rear for coil-overs, but with the factory control arms the motion ratio is .76. The way I measured this was:

On the rear of my (2013) FRS D1 is 13.50" and D2 is 17.75". Dividing 13.50" by 17.75= .76

I haven't weighed my car on scales, but all this means is that (say for example) each rear corner weighed 630 lbs. on scales. You would subtract the unsprung weight of wheel/tire/brakes/half of control arm, let's call it 100 lbs., giving you 530 lbs. on that corner. With the motion ratio that 530 lbs. divided by .76 would give you the actual force the spring would see of= 697 lbs.

Typically on a street car you'll want to see 25%-30% of the springs free length compressed by the weight of the car, so changing the mount position inboard or outward on a control arm will effect the compressed spring length. Ultimately, it's the dampening of the shock that controls the motion/ride quality of the car, though.
Stevemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:19 AM   #64
86_IT

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
What is the ideal motion ration? Do you want it as close to 1 as possible?
Old 11-11-2018, 11:44 AM   #65
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There is no "ideal motion ratio". Depending on car body, suspension design, clearance, dimensions, it just happens to be some specific one for that car. And manufacturer chooses spring and damping rates to be used with that ratio, as it changes resulting rates one actually will get "at wheel".
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:22 AM   #66
Nickmann

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017
I'm pretty sure they changed the spring rates with the face-lift BRZ and the "new" GT86.

Do anyone know the latest oem/stock spring rates for both or at least the BRZ of 2017+

Would be great!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:43 PM   #67
Glitchy86

Drives: Red 86
Hopefully someone can help me in here instead of starting a new thread.

I just got Eibach pro kit lowering springs and I'm about to install it but wanted to know where to find torque specifications for control arms, sway bar links and top hat and strut top bolts? Also lug nuts would be great. I just want to get everything right from the first time. Btw I will be using my car most of the time for DD.

My car is 86 2018 with 10,000KM (not sure of it matters).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Glitchy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:13 PM   #68
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitchy86 View Post
Hopefully someone can help me in here instead of starting a new thread.

I just got Eibach pro kit lowering springs and I'm about to install it but wanted to know where to find torque specifications for control arms, sway bar links and top hat and strut top bolts? Also lug nuts would be great. I just want to get everything right from the first time. Btw I will be using my car most of the time for DD.

My car is 86 2018 with 10,000KM (not sure of it matters).

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Here’s an excellent DIY to get you started

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10842
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to new2subaru For This Useful Post:
Glitchy86 (09-13-2019)
Old 01-29-2022, 03:15 PM   #69
Scargod
Track Day Junkie

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Necro addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I actually went with fortune auto coilovers, with a 7/7k rate on the swift springs that i got with the coilovers. They ride exceptionally well, for a daily driver and even better at the track.
As mentioned, there are many factors at play so sharing a snapshot of the whole setup would have helped.
Was it lowered? Any sway bar change? Any reduction or increase in unsprung weight? Any aero?
I have a 2022 BRZ that I'll track a lot, but will be a semi-DD.
I'm doing the Cygnus Racing shock version of Fortune shocks. Hyperco 7K springs. Digressive valving.
Voodoo 13 rear lower control arms.
APR GTC200 wing. I intend to have a splitter, so some aero on the front to balance it out. Have 245 888R's on 17X9" ET42 APEX ARC-8 rims. Plan on a 1 to 1.5" drop.

Last edited by Scargod; 01-29-2022 at 03:45 PM.
Scargod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 01:44 PM   #70
Xed32

Drives: '22 brz Sport-Tech
'22 BRZ Question. I see most persons using the Gen1 rear LCA and coilovers. We know the '22 RLCA is around 0.5" different: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...54#post3495854

How does that affect the motion ratio? Additionally, the track between Gen 1 and 2 is different (staggered)? It appears most suspension offerings for Gen2 are the Gen1 parts and spring rates. Should this matter?
Additionally, the MCA traction mod ( best mod i've ever put on a car) really tames the rear end step-out and adds comfort. It does not affect alignment, but does changing the anti-squat characteristics affect motion ration at all? I do feel like I can get away with much higher rear spring rates now that the rear end is predictable. I am currently on stock suspension but am looking for performance oriented suspension parts for track and auto-X and most of what I find is looks oriented.
Xed32 is offline   Reply With Quote