follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #1
Sjl86

Drives: VW Jetta
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Newbie Here, Need Advice for buying a used FRS.

Hey guys,

Im pretty much a car newb, but I fell in love with this car at first sight. So therefore, after doing some research on the car, I decided I wanted to get it (since I am in need of a new car). Well, luckily, there is a person selling a Used Ultramarine Blue FRS with 9k mileage on it for $22,500. Some issues he has having with his car are the fogging up of the headlights as well as the idle issue, but did not have the CEL issue. He recently got a letter from toyota stating that they need to replace the ECU to fix the idle issue, which he will do.

What do you guys think?

Does $22,500 seem reasonable to you? Even with the normal issues he is having with the car?

Another thing is that Blue is essentially my third choice in color, (1st would be whiteout 2nd would be asphalt), but blue is something I could live with, but I figure that if Im spending so much money on a car, should I just wait to find a car with my color preference. The thing is, near my region (socal), this car is essentially the only private party selling his FRS right now, and I really dont want to deal with the dealerships.
Sjl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
To be honest, I would not buy a used FRS this early in the game. You don't know how it's been treated, and if the lights are fogging, you are going to have yourself plenty of back and forth with a dealership anyway to get it fixed. Better to buy new, and suck up the extra few grand for a new cost.
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
L3P47

Drives: Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Honestly, if it was me I would just break down and get a new FR-S that way your the only owner and you know how it's been treated. If you feel comfortable do it though I say go for i. That's not a horrible deal considering the car.
L3P47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
You're not talking a lot of difference in money to buy a new one. Assuming you will have to pay sales tax in your state on what ever you buy, you're talking probably less than $1k. This car is aimed at a specific market and that market isn't the group that would buy a Toyota Corolla. Most people buying this car want to drive it like they stole it. Because of that I would not buy a used one unless you bought one from an old fart like me and there aren't many of us around with FR-S's.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #5
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
I agree get a new one. If that means saving up a bit more, try to. Now if you can get it for 20K or so, then yes I would go for it. The car would still carry the original warranty. Why are they selling it?
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
Sjl86

Drives: VW Jetta
Thanks for the responses guys. Yes car will still carry the original warranty. He's selling it because he used it as a DD, but decided the commute to work was too long so he moved closer to his work, so therefore, will be driving his other car instead.

But yes, thank you for the responses, this definitely will make me ponder more about my decision. I may decide just to go to the dreaded dealership and get a new one lol.
Sjl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:04 PM   #7
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Those were my color choices in that exact order. I ended up with the asphalt because it looks great in person and was the only manual in that dealership. I'm happy with my choice. As everyone else suggested, I say just get a new one. You don't know what other issues you might be inheriting.
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #8
ipothas

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't buy used this early on...

2013 Whiteout 6MT
ipothas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
whaap

Drives: '13 FR-S firestorm, 6 mt - '11 CR-V
Thanked 1,387 Times in 657 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Here's another large point in favor of buying a new one. The earlier production cars are the ones that had the problems. As problems developed and corrections were made those problems were not in the later manufactured cars. My car was built in August and I've had absolutely none of the issues the earlier ones had.
whaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #10
MattZ28

Drives: 2005 S2000
Saving $1800 or whatever it may be isn't worth buying a used car with 9k miles IMO. I'd get a brand new one. If you have decent credit you'll get better finance rates on a new vehicle anyways.
MattZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #11
Wolfking

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjl86 View Post
I really dont want to deal with the dealerships.
Scion offers pure pricing. For the amount of the money involved, get what you want. I've always had an issue paying more than $20.00 for my second choice!

On the other hand, the used FRS and it's problems should be covered under warranty. I'd also run the vin against carfax!
Wolfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Originally Posted by whaap View Post
You're not talking a lot of difference in money to buy a new one. Assuming you will have to pay sales tax in your state on what ever you buy, you're talking probably less than $1k. This car is aimed at a specific market and that market isn't the group that would buy a Toyota Corolla. Most people buying this car want to drive it like they stole it. Because of that I would not buy a used one unless you bought one from an old fart like me and there aren't many of us around with FR-S's.
not so fast! plenty of us "old" farts like this car ,even if we should be examined
for possible "mental issues!" ehe! he! he!
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
jmaryt
Banned

Drives: 2012 honda civic ex
Quote:
Quote:
Here's another large point in favor of buying a new one. The earlier production cars are the ones that had the problems. As problems developed and corrections were made those problems were not in the later manufactured cars. My car was built in August and I've had absolutely none of the issues the earlier ones had.
yeah! this was what i suspected as well! wait until later in the year,and the minor issues would be addressed!.
jmaryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
nzer

Drives: 2012 Grey TRD GT86, 2015 VW Golf R
Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaryt View Post
not so fast! plenty of us "old" farts like this car ,even if we should be examined
for possible "mental issues!" ehe! he! he!
Yep, another old fart here! Agreed though, we are the types you want to buy one off.