follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 12-26-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Pasi,

From your videos it looks like simple understeer coupled with possibly too late braking. You don't have the front end grip or overall handling balance to tolerate such heavy braking while turning in. Your videos show the cars snapping into oversteer at the exit a few times. I'm guessing that from having a bunch of steering lock dialed in then unwinding while at WOT. This transfers weight rearwards and you don't quite adjust steering input quickly enough, so snap oversteer. Most turns I watched you brake too late so you overshot the turn in point and apex. You stayed on the breaks heavily while trying to also ask the tires to turn. They didn't.

My suggestion would be to stop trying to brake like Ricciardo. Instead of braking at last possible instant then having to figure out a way to rotate the car under max straight line braking, brake earlier then being releasing the brakes sooner and far more gradually.

Watch Sonny's brake inputs in this video. Super linear and smooth both on and off. Blub has way more grip and composure than your car and he's on/off brake slower, not faster than you. This video displays actual brake line pressure on the bar graph, not deceleration G. Decel G is on the G-G graphic. Watch the red bar graph.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79BiXr6_Bk[/ame]
Old 12-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #16
pinoy_dorifto
Tuloy po kayo!

Drives: 2019 Toyota 86 TRD SE
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 949 Racing View Post
Pasi,

From your videos it looks like simple understeer coupled with possibly too late braking. You don't have the front end grip or overall handling balance to tolerate such heavy braking while turning in. Your videos show the cars snapping into oversteer at the exit a few times. I'm guessing that from having a bunch of steering lock dialed in then unwinding while at WOT. This transfers weight rearwards and you don't quite adjust steering input quickly enough, so snap oversteer. Most turns I watched you brake too late so you overshot the turn in point and apex. You stayed on the breaks heavily while trying to also ask the tires to turn. They didn't.

My suggestion would be to stop trying to brake like Ricciardo. Instead of braking at last possible instant then having to figure out a way to rotate the car under max straight line braking, brake earlier then being releasing the brakes sooner and far more gradually.

Watch Sonny's brake inputs in this video. Super linear and smooth both on and off. Blub has way more grip and composure than your car and he's on/off brake slower, not faster than you. This video displays actual brake line pressure on the bar graph, not deceleration G. Decel G is on the G-G graphic. Watch the red bar graph.

Thank you so much! Now It makes so much sense. They all told me "smooth is fast." I will definitely try to take the Ricciardo mentality out!
Old 12-27-2019, 11:08 PM   #17
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,346 Times in 4,127 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
@949 Racing
How do I send a personal message to you?

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #18
949 Racing
FT86Club Official Vendor

Drives: Miata, GT350, FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
@949 Racing
How do I send a personal message to you?
We turn forum PM's off and don't answer facebook DM's either. Too many forums across the different platforms we work with. Email or call us about our products.

If it is non-product related, but directly related to a discussion we have already started here, just post.

If it is non product related and you just want advice, start a new thread and email us a link.

Tags
949 racing, oversteer, understeer