follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #29
KMA KiCKz
Certified Wumbologist

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
Sadly I'm thinking of getting rid of this car. Sigh... after getting that ding and getting the new fenders installed my mind just felt instant regret.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Majority of the imperfections on my car were caused by other people being careless or just plain unaware. Mine has been:
  • Rear-ended twice(1st was by a cop on his phone and within 6 days of ownership, 2nd was a friend trying to be a hot boi and impress people with a WOT)
  • A crap load of rock chips on my front bumper/windshield
  • Multiple door dings
  • People improperly strapping things down and shit flying off on the freeway
and yet I still love it like the first day I got it.

Someone cracked your headlight? Now have a reason to pull the trigger on those new ones you've been lookin at for some time.

Someone dented your fender? Now have a reason to go widebody if that's what you've been telling yourself since the beginning of your build.

Happens to the best of us but that shouldn't deter you from your project car.

TRD | Brembo | RAYS
KMA KiCKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #30
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My car (before the 86) was a "normal" family type car that I bought new, customized tastefully, drove for 3 years, 16kmiles, no defects. Then one day I got a broken windshield from crap flying in some high winds in Mojave on my way to Mammoth and on that trip my feelings about the car changed. Rather, that broken windshield and the long drive gave me time to think about my feelings about the car. I realized it was never something I ever enjoyed as I've owned some sort of performance oriented car over the last 30 years I've been driving. I just couldn't get myself to enjoy the car no matter what I did and I couldn't put away that regret from that point on. Since I'm only getting older by the day, I sold the car a few months later and got the 86. I've never regretted that decision, even though its the slowest thing I own even with boost and e85. If I were to get a broken windshield on the 86, I'd get it repaired and never think twice. Honestly, if you're regretting things, it's probably because it's no longer the right car for you or you want a fresh project. It might be time to sell and move on and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is too short. Do what God requires of us but enjoy to the fullest what he's given us too.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z06ZN6 For This Useful Post:
Dirty Harry (06-09-2023), Joveen (07-01-2021), Stonehorsw (06-17-2023)
Old 07-01-2021, 08:50 PM   #31
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06ZN6 View Post
My car (before the 86) was a "normal" family type car that I bought new, customized tastefully, drove for 3 years, 16kmiles, no defects. Then one day I got a broken windshield from crap flying in some high winds in Mojave on my way to Mammoth and on that trip my feelings about the car changed. Rather, that broken windshield and the long drive gave me time to think about my feelings about the car. I realized it was never something I ever enjoyed as I've owned some sort of performance oriented car over the last 30 years I've been driving. I just couldn't get myself to enjoy the car no matter what I did and I couldn't put away that regret from that point on. Since I'm only getting older by the day, I sold the car a few months later and got the 86. I've never regretted that decision, even though its the slowest thing I own even with boost and e85. If I were to get a broken windshield on the 86, I'd get it repaired and never think twice. Honestly, if you're regretting things, it's probably because it's no longer the right car for you or you want a fresh project. It might be time to sell and move on and there is nothing wrong with that. Life is too short. Do what God requires of us but enjoy to the fullest what he's given us too.
Man you just spoke to my Spirit. I have the turbo kit sitting the basement and more mods. Also the new fenders don't even fit right on the car. I scrap everywhere I go now. I try to not even think about it. Also me and girlfriend want to get married soon after school which is in like 2 years and having to do payments and stuff on this car just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

Selling every aftermarket part and making payments until December could get an even trade off I think. I'm still at 66k miles now. I miss having a turbo car and I keep saying if could just install the kit things would get better or change but idk.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:33 PM   #32
Z06ZN6

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Sounds like you got a lot going on and more important stuff than cars at the moment but I'd give yourself some time to think about what's important to you now.

From your list of parts, it also sounds like you really love modding cars as a hobby and that feeling is likely never going to go away. Even if you sell this, you're sure to want something else very soon after. Sell this car if you don't want it anymore but I wouldn't sell it just for the money or some mechanical or cosmetic issues, which can all be resolved.

As an alternative, if you don't really hate the car and still have the feeling to keep it, maybe spend some time/money correcting those things you don't like first. I know if I get too many little broken things it starts to bother me, but once I fix or replace them, the good feelings return. Never let the list get too long. Also removing some aftermarket parts may not be bad either as sometimes they can make the car worse than stock.

I got tired of scraping too so I replaced my front 245 with 255 and raised the front up a little. Still looks just as great but now I can go places and get in and out of driveways and I enjoy the car even more. Its amazing what 3/4" can do.

Anyhow, give yourself time. Enjoy the car. Take it for a nice long summer drive and think about whats right for you.
Z06ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 09:54 PM   #33
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Clutch finally went out. Since the wedding is at the end of the month. I decided to get new parts. Boost is still the goal. Keep the dream alive.

Sent from my SM-F936U1 using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
alphasaur (06-09-2023), DarkPira7e (06-09-2023), Dirty Harry (06-09-2023)