follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #757
Pakman

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sly View Post
Have you tried to see if your car is programmed with different maps? A Cosworth Ecutek tune will have 4 maps selectable by holding in the cruise control. Start the engine and pull the cruise control stalk toward you for a few seconds. The tach should move to 1,000 rpm. This is the default setting and is for 91 octane fuel. If you move the stalk upward, the tach will move to 2,000 rpm. This is the map for 93 octane and will give you more HP provided you are on the correct fuel. Pull the stalk toward you once more and that will select the map.

This will at least show whether or not your car has an Ecutek tune... If this doesn't work, then you probably don't have Ecutek and a Cosworth tune.
I haven't tried it yet but will try it later tonight coming home. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Cosworth View Post
if you are willing to buy an ecutek cable and a licence I can send you a tune

you can also rent the cable sometimes but you'll still need to buy an ECUtek license

as I can't just send you a tune without knowing the dongle ID of the original installer I'm afraid so unless you can get that information you need to pay for another license

also what fuel were you running on for the dyno pull? as 91 octane vs 93 is about another 7-8Bhp ( providing the tune takes advantage of it)
are there any modes/ different maps with your tune?
Ill check for different maps later tonight by using the cruise control lever. The dyno was pulled using 92 octane and less then 10% ethanol.

If nothing is mapped, I will most likely buy the ecutek cable and license so I can get the proper files from you. Thanks again for the replies and help!
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:03 PM   #758
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
I haven't tried it yet but will try it later tonight coming home. Thanks for the tip.

Ill check for different maps later tonight by using the cruise control lever. The dyno was pulled using 92 octane and less then 10% ethanol.

If nothing is mapped, I will most likely buy the ecutek cable and license so I can get the proper files from you. Thanks again for the replies and help!
Do you plan to do any exhaust parts? Curious to see how this kit will run with a stock exhaust set up.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #759
Pakman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
Do you plan to do any exhaust parts? Curious to see how this kit will run with a stock exhaust set up.
I plan to start stock exhaust and eventually do the whole exhaust shabang.

@sly, thanks for the tip! I went to my car during my lunch break and found that the car has had the ECUTek tune done . I pulled on the cruise control lever and surprise there were four different maps. Weird thing was, I think I was driving it on map 3... I changed it back to 1. Could explain why the car felt so jerky at lower speeds haha You really helped me friend!

@Matt@Cosworth, I have two questions. Since I am running 92 should I put the setting at 1 or 2? If I recall 1 was preset for 91 and 2 was preset for 93.

Second question: If I want to continue tuning the car, do I still need to get a license? Isn't the license married to the car? Thanks for the time to respond!
Old 04-08-2017, 04:55 PM   #760
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Hello
you should be ok to run on setting 2 with 92 octane
and arguably as the car has already been flashed the once then you don't need another licence and should be able to flash another tune into the ECU
however I can't just send you an unlocked tune (no-one does that) and I will need a dongle ID so you can flash it in
and you will need an ecutek cable to do this
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 06:10 PM   #761
Octoman

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited SWP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hey, is there anyone in Los Angeles that has a Cosworth stage 2? I'm interested in going this route, just want to feel it for comparison? Let me know thanks!
Octoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #762
sly

Drives: 2016 Cosworth 2.2 BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakman View Post
Il need to get a license? Isn't the license married to the car? Thanks for the time to respond!
I flashed my car to a Cosworth 1.2 tune myself. In order to do so, I had to purchase an ecutek programmer and a license. The license is a usb thumb drive that 'marries' to your car once you put it in. You can rent the programmer off people on eBay, but you have to purchase the license/usb stick as it's only valid for one specific ECU.

Whenever your car was programmed with the Cosworth tune, whoever did it had an ecutek license. If you can get the original usb stick they used, you can keep reusing it on your car. You simply put the usb stick into your computer and the ecutek software will tell you your ecu dongle ID. This is a 6 digit code that is specific to your ecu. This code is what Cosworth will need to be able to send you custom tunes. If you don't have a license, you will need to purchase one. They are about $300 or so. Try to find out who did the original install. See if you can get the license from them. It is specific to your car and is no use to them anyway. If you can get the license, then all you need is an ecutek programmer. Install the ecutek software from their website. Plug the programmer into the OBDII port on your car. Plug the other end into a USB port on your computer. Then insert the USB license into your computer and the ecutek software will give you the dongle ID. Give this to Cosworth and they can email you the tune you need.

Matt is very good about working with people regarding custom setups. As long as you have a dongle ID, they should be able to help you out.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sly For This Useful Post:
Pakman (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #763
Pakman

This all sounds great. Thank you for breaking it down for me @sly. I will look into getting a ecutek dongle and license once I figure out what I want to do next. (Thinking whole exhaust) I will them PM Matt on further instructions tuning the car. This has been a great learning experience. Again, thanks for all the help both of you!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pakman For This Useful Post:
ajc209 (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:14 AM   #764
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Whenever your car was programmed with the Cosworth tune, whoever did it had an ecutek license. If you can get the original usb stick they used, you can keep reusing it on your car. You simply put the usb stick into your computer and the ecutek software will tell you your ecu dongle ID. This is a 6 digit code that is specific to your ecu
Not true, the dongle (USB Stick) is not married/tied/unique to that ECU. It's the software license for the ProECU laptop software. Tunes are coded to the dongle so only that dongle can flash the tune.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:24 AM   #765
Matt@Cosworth

Drives: blue - Cosworth SC stage 3.0
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
thanks to mr Kodename for clearing that up
so the cheapest route for you will be to find whom has flashed the car with the cosworth tune that you have
I can then email them & you with the revised tune to suit that dongle
naturally that original tuner will want paying for their time / use of their dongle but at least you won't have to buy another licence

or you can buy your own licence & dongle and cable and do it all yourself

Last edited by Matt@Cosworth; 04-09-2017 at 09:46 AM.
Matt@Cosworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:28 AM   #766
sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Not true, the dongle (USB Stick) is not married/tied/unique to that ECU. It's the software license for the ProECU laptop software. Tunes are coded to the dongle so only that dongle can flash the tune.
My mistake. Either way, as Matt already mentioned, a license will be needed before a tune can be provided.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:09 AM   #767
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Their still seems to be some confusion here re Ecutek tuning.

You need an Ecutek ecu licience to be able to Flash an Ecutek tune to a cars ECU.

This licience is provided by the ecutek tuner if you don't already have a ECUtek ECU licience in ECU.

The licience is embedded in the ECU the first time it is flashed with ECUTEK, and it will then remain in ECU. unless you flash with a system other than ecutek.

You only ever need 1 ecutek ECU licience for each ECU. Once you have an ECU licence in ECU then you can flash that ECU as many times as you like using any Ecutek tune from any ecutek tuner using any Ecutek cable/dongle kit as long as the tune is keyed to the dongle id your using to flash the tune with.

The catch is that every ecutek tune from an ecutek tuner will be locked to one ECUTEK dongle ID this is the 6 letter digit code like 1a 2b 3c or whatever . Each Ecutek programming kit consists of a OBD cable and the Ecutek Dongle and each dongle has a unique id.

The dongle is the thing that looks like a USB stick , but its actually a DESKEY encryption key.

If your car has been previously tuned with ECUTEK then it already has a ecutek licience in ECU and you wont need to buy another ECU licience.

The drama with renting or borrowing a ecutek cable kit is that the tune you get from the Tuner will need to be keyed to the dongle id in the rented or borrowed kit. So if you ever needed to reflash the ecutek tuner's tune you would need to get the same cable/dongle kit back, or get the tuner to re-licience the tune to the new dongle id.

Tune keying to dongle id is different to ecu liciencing.

Any Ecutek cable/dongle kit will be able to write over your current tune.

But you cannot read out ecutek tunes from an ECU.

The only way you can get a backup copy of a tune is to get it from the tuner
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Pakman (04-11-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:37 PM   #768
weederr33
Airborne at your service

@Pakman
In case you decide to get another cable and license:

https://www.cosworthperformance.com/...nd-calibration

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
The Following User Says Thank You to weederr33 For This Useful Post:
Pakman (04-11-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #769
sly

@Matt@Cosworth I have a question. I am now considering the supercharger for my BRZ. I currently have a 1.2 tune. Is it possible to add the supercharger without adding the header? I would like a 2.2 tune but I don't see one listed on the Cosworth registration page. Is a 2.2 available?

Thanks
Old 04-19-2017, 12:34 AM   #770
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Quote:
@Matt@Cosworth I have a question. I am now considering the supercharger for my BRZ. I currently have a 1.2 tune. Is it possible to add the supercharger without adding the header? I would like a 2.2 tune but I don't see one listed on the Cosworth registration page. Is a 2.2 available?

Thanks
I had them send me a 2.2 tune before. Ran it for a little bit before getting the headers.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT