follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #3123
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
weird question:
If the rules of certain series force me to use stock sway bars and stock end links with my RCE T2s, would corner balancing be possible? Are there any tricks like slotting the end link mount holes etc. that might help?
Thanks in advance

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM   #3124
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
weird question:
If the rules of certain series force me to use stock sway bars and stock end links with my RCE T2s, would corner balancing be possible? Are there any tricks like slotting the end link mount holes etc. that might help?
Thanks in advance
Leave one loose? I'm sure you could slot, but I don't know how that would hold up over time. And there's not much room to work with for slotting either before you start being unable to tighten things down. That may also not be considered in the spirit of the rules.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:11 AM   #3125
200hp/tonne

Drives: Raven Fr-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
And there's not much room to work with for slotting either before you start being unable to tighten things down. That may also not be considered in the spirit of the rules.
The front is easy, just a few shims under the sway bar (bushing) mounting plate on one side will be enough to adjust height. I can't think of a way to adjust the rear, offset bushings maybe?

200hp/tonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:53 AM   #3126
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 200hp/tonne View Post
The front is easy, just a few shims under the sway bar (bushing) mounting plate on one side will be enough to adjust height. I can't think of a way to adjust the rear, offset bushings maybe?
Only place would be the bar end, unless you slot the lca I guess... Still not sure it would pass the rule check. I imagine that the lack of adjustability is the reason for specifying stock endlinks. Slotting struts for camber is either explicitly allowed or isn't legal in all rulebooks with which I am familiar (not many, mind)... That wouldn't be any different for swaybar mounting and the ability to dial out preload.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:10 PM   #3127
HamburgerSushi

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ 6MT, Perf Pack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
No worries...yes the RCE Yellows are a good fit for the PP Sachs dampers.

Just a note though, I would only get the Starter kit lite if you have a very good shop doing the install. The rear camber bushings are a PAIN to install and many shops have screwed it up or take a very long time ($$$) to do it. The alignment process is also more difficult.

The "Cambo" package is a little more money up front, but the rear LCAs are super easy (and cheaper) to install and align. In general I recommend that package instead.

- Andrew
Hi!

Thank you for this recommendation. I am in the same boat - I've got the 2017 PP and am hesitant to just get a lowering spring for the sake of spring/shock matching. I am wondering:

1. What is the change that comes with the Sachs dampers? Is the change exclusively in the shock absorber (to perhaps a more aggressively valved unit), or did Subaru low-key swap out the springs as well?

2. Why your Yellow series and not the Tarmac (firmer & more progressive & with tender coil portion)? Would the Tarmac be under-damped? Similarly, have you guys had any experience driving a PP car with the Sachs dampers and your Yellow or Tarmac springs?

Thank you!

Last edited by HamburgerSushi; 04-27-2017 at 02:31 PM.
HamburgerSushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #3128
MechOps

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Hey guys. I installed TRD springs last summer with stock struts since I wanted to reduce some wheel gap with about an 1" drop. I like the setup especially when body rolls are a lot less than stock. Lately though, I've been entertaining the idea of getting coilovers.

I'm looking for a setup that's geared more towards ride quality. The TRD springs are great with stock struts. But I can definitely do better for ride quality. I DD the car with some autoX events perhaps 2 times a year. I'd like to get a comfy setup with some spirited driving along the way. I have driven a friend's brz with KW V2s l, and I really like them in terms of performance and comfort.

My current setup mods:
TRD springs with Stock struts
OEM crash bolts for front camber
235/40/18 front
255/40/18 rear (I know I know, staggered. Going for looks here I suppose )
Tires are continental extreme contact DWS

Looking at coilovers due to my thick tires. Budget is ~$2000. What do you guys think or recommend?
MechOps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #3129
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerSushi View Post
Hi!

Thank you for this recommendation. I am in the same boat - I've got the 2017 PP and am hesitant to just get a lowering spring for the sake of spring/shock matching. I am wondering:

1. What is the change that comes with the Sachs dampers? Is the change exclusively in the shock absorber (to perhaps a more aggressively valved unit), or did Subaru low-key swap out the springs as well?

2. Why your Yellow series and not the Tarmac (firmer & more progressive & with tender coil portion)? Would the Tarmac be under-damped? Similarly, have you guys had any experience driving a PP car with the Sachs dampers and your Yellow or Tarmac springs?

Thank you!
Sorry missed this earlier!

1. I'm not 100% certian if there is a difference in PP spring rates vs. standard spring rates. But I believe all 2017 spring rates are slightly different compared to previous years. Rear swaybar is slightly larger too. The shock absorbers are actually more refined than the older suspension...without much of a tradeoff in handling (if any). I'm still trying to get a set to put on the shock dyno.

2. Yes we recommend aftermarket shocks for our Tarmac springs. They might be OKAY with the PP shocks, but I honestly haven't tried it so won't recommend it yet. The Yellows ride really nicely with the PP shocks.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
jmark (05-11-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 03:45 PM   #3130
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechOps View Post
Hey guys. I installed TRD springs last summer with stock struts since I wanted to reduce some wheel gap with about an 1" drop. I like the setup especially when body rolls are a lot less than stock. Lately though, I've been entertaining the idea of getting coilovers.

I'm looking for a setup that's geared more towards ride quality. The TRD springs are great with stock struts. But I can definitely do better for ride quality. I DD the car with some autoX events perhaps 2 times a year. I'd like to get a comfy setup with some spirited driving along the way. I have driven a friend's brz with KW V2s l, and I really like them in terms of performance and comfort.

My current setup mods:
TRD springs with Stock struts
OEM crash bolts for front camber
235/40/18 front
255/40/18 rear (I know I know, staggered. Going for looks here I suppose )
Tires are continental extreme contact DWS

Looking at coilovers due to my thick tires. Budget is ~$2000. What do you guys think or recommend?
The KW V3s would work well for you.

- Andrew
Old 05-02-2017, 03:49 PM   #3131
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechOps View Post

KW V3 are a good option.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 02:36 PM   #3132
SorryTires

Drives: 2013 FRS
My local track is quite bumpy and there some bumps mid corner that currently upset the car so im looking to improve the cars ability to soak up bumps. Currently running tein s-tech springs which are way too soft in the front causing the car to dive and roll like crazy under trail braking. I imagine those mid corner bumps are making me hit the bump stops but the factory bump stops must be quite progressive because I cant feel it like i have on previous cars.

I know getting springs with proper rates will help but I am looking at coils anyway for the height adjustability. I have a couple questions hopefully the more experienced can answer:

1. what spring rates would you suggest for 245 MPSS or typical 200 tread wear tires on a rough track? I was thinking 5k front and rear as that's what the s-techs are in the rear and they seem to work well.

2. Obviously the choice in damper will have a big effect so is it worth getting an adjustable damper to play with the compression rates? or will a preset damper provide 90% of the benefit at a lower cost?

I'm currently debating between RCE Tarmac 0/KW V1 on the non adjustable side. For adjustable I was thinking Tarmac 2/KW V3, keep in mind I have zero experience setting up adjustable dampers but like the idea of learning.

I also wanted to say thank you so much to RCE and CSG for taking the time to educate people like me, ive learned a lot from just reading these threads
SorryTires is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SorryTires For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (05-10-2017), CounterSpace Garage (05-10-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 10:33 AM   #3133
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Do you have the stock spring dyno charts with bumpstops? I am wondering how much progressiveness they add and at what point of travel they start working.
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #3134
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
OND: and imho with stock ones one should include how rates change after reaching bumpstops, car may often ride at with soft stock spring rates.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 01:33 AM   #3135
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryTires View Post
My local track is quite bumpy and there some bumps mid corner that currently upset the car so im looking to improve the cars ability to soak up bumps. Currently running tein s-tech springs which are way too soft in the front causing the car to dive and roll like crazy under trail braking. I imagine those mid corner bumps are making me hit the bump stops but the factory bump stops must be quite progressive because I cant feel it like i have on previous cars.

I know getting springs with proper rates will help but I am looking at coils anyway for the height adjustability. I have a couple questions hopefully the more experienced can answer:

1. what spring rates would you suggest for 245 MPSS or typical 200 tread wear tires on a rough track? I was thinking 5k front and rear as that's what the s-techs are in the rear and they seem to work well.

2. Obviously the choice in damper will have a big effect so is it worth getting an adjustable damper to play with the compression rates? or will a preset damper provide 90% of the benefit at a lower cost?

I'm currently debating between RCE Tarmac 0/KW V1 on the non adjustable side. For adjustable I was thinking Tarmac 2/KW V3, keep in mind I have zero experience setting up adjustable dampers but like the idea of learning.

I also wanted to say thank you so much to RCE and CSG for taking the time to educate people like me, ive learned a lot from just reading these threads
1. I would soften sway bars or make shock changes to deal with rough/bumpy track before I reduced spring rate. Just my two cents. Softer sway bars help make the suspension more independent.

2. *If* you know what you're doing with the adjustable shocks, or are willing to learn, they are far superior. The downside to this is that if you're tempted to try and fix every handling issue with your shocks, you can end up with a car that drives worse than stock (and yes, I've done that more than once now). So realize this is a lot of work, and a lot of trial and error and note keeping on what does and doesn't work, but you will be able to optimize the shocks for different surfaces/conditions/tires/etc.

If that doesn't interest you, a shock package properly matched to its intended spring rates will still do you a world of good. When the shock is working right, it really doesn't need to be touched anyway.

I would opt for the RCE packages over the KW packages. IMO RCE did a way better job with spring rate selection.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to renfield90 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #3136
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryTires View Post

1. 6k front and rear would be a good fit for those tires on bumpy streets and tracks....with a good adjustable damper you'd be happy with 7k too and be a little faster.

2. Adjustability is nice to have if you usually drive on a bumpy track. I'd be perfectly happy with a non-adjustable for a street car that sees occasional track time but a 2 way like our RCE T2 or KW V3 does let you dial things in just right for your specific car and track. It can be a little confusing, but we give you a good baseline setting and can help you dial everything in.

- Andrew