follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2016, 12:21 AM   #15
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Non DOT here and no issues
and also irrelevant to OP based on your location...
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:19 AM   #16
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
and also irrelevant to OP based on your location...
Lol yeah good point! I read the new posts section and the title didn't say anything about a specific location so I posted without thinking lol
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:43 AM   #17
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theadmiral976 View Post
Just to be clear, I think the front sidemarkers must glow amber under US law. Any rear sidemarkers are red (the twins don't have these, rather the OEM tails have red light illuminating the sides of the car).
All vehicles sold in the US are supposed to have front amber and rear red side marker lamps. Many cars have separate rear side markers, but in the BRZ and FR-S they are built into the tail light assembly so that there's a red light on the side. That's the major difference between USDM and JDM versions of all the aftermarket lights: The USDM version has the side marker light, whereas the JDM version just has a reflector or nothing at all there.

Theoretically you could run JDM tails legally under FMVSS 108 if you also installed some rear side markers in the body of the vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_423 View Post
as long as they are illegal, they will have the rights to give you a citation. and it's not something you can argue with since it's illegal.
Even if they give you a ticket, it's an equipment violation. Usually with those you can just fix the issue and get a police officer to inspect it and sign off that the problem has been corrected. Then you send the ticket to the court to have it dismissed. Depending on how likely they are to encounter the same cop again, some people fix their issue, get the ticket dismissed, then put the car back like it was until the next time. That's why I say to keep your old stuff around, just in case you need it in a hurry. You don't want to have to order new parts just to fix a fix-it ticket.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM   #18
kberkel

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_423 View Post
as long as they are illegal, they will have the rights to give you a citation. and it's not something you can argue with since it's illegal.

but in regards to if they actually care or notice, that's all gonna be luck.

Chances are you will never get a ticket for it.. but if you are in a suspicious neighborhood or driving drunk, it is a reason to pull you over.
kberkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:45 AM   #19
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Just to chime in here, I've been running JDM side markers with white led bulbs for the past 6 months and haven't received any extra attention from cops (Washington area). I often drive down backroads at night and appreciate the extra illumination off to the sides in tandem with the DD switchbacks I have. I do still have all the OE stuff just in case though.

You gotta risk it for the biscuit
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #20
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
Just to chime in here, I've been running JDM side markers with white led bulbs for the past 6 months and haven't received any extra attention from cops (Washington area). I often drive down backroads at night and appreciate the extra illumination off to the sides in tandem with the DD switchbacks I have.
That is not the purpose of the side marker lights. The purpose of side markers is to improve the visibility of your vehicle to other drivers to the side and rear without blinding their night vision. White and blue light diminishes night vision and adds to eye strain and driver fatigue, whereas red and amber lights do not. It's not just that it's illegal. It's just plain rude, and it says to everyone on the road that you don't give a shit how you affect them.

Maybe you didn't realize this, in which case you ought to rethink it and install amber bulbs. Amber LEDs are not expensive. If you did realize it and simply don't care how you affect other drivers, that doesn't reflect well on you as a human being.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
carczar87 (02-09-2016), GeorgeJFrick (01-24-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #21
DannyQ86

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Lol you swapping to white led side markers makes you a shitty rude human being? @extrashaky takes his amber bulbs serious son!
DannyQ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannyQ86 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-23-2016), Brayden_23 (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 11:46 AM   #22
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lol @extrashaky tell us how you really feel?

Yea I agree, white bulbs are annoying but so are all the incorrectly pointed HID kits that a lot of people put on all sorts of cars. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In any case, I think you'll be fine if you don't drive like a jackass but to be extra safe use Amber bulbs/usdm tom's instead of white/blue bulbs and non DOT approved tails
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:53 AM   #23
Brayden_23

Drives: Asphalt 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I guess I will work on being a better human being in the future.

I realize the lights are a little obnoxious, but there are a way worse things I could have done. Every time a jacked up pickup rides my ass with his HIDs in a factory halogen reflector housing, I feel all the more justified for having them since they are not nearly as bad as what many drivers have done to their cars.
Brayden_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brayden_23 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:32 PM   #24
extrashaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyQ86 View Post
Lol you swapping to white led side markers makes you a shitty rude human being?
Yes, if you do it knowingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86kahl View Post
Yea I agree, white bulbs are annoying but so are all the incorrectly pointed HID kits that a lot of people put on all sorts of cars. So ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
People who install those horrible HID kits should be ticketed as well. It's possible to upgrade to HIDs without blinding oncoming traffic with the right equipment. Those idiotic HID "upgrades" in normal reflector housings deserve tickets. I make a point of hitting my bright lights when I encounter those, and everyone else should also to make sure they know they're being assholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayden_23 View Post
I realize the lights are a little obnoxious, but there are a way worse things I could have done. Every time a jacked up pickup rides my ass with his HIDs in a factory halogen reflector housing, I feel all the more justified for having them since they are not nearly as bad as what many drivers have done to their cars.
So you're saying that it's okay for you to be a jerk because other people are jerks? That doesn't help the guy behind you who hasn't done anything at all to you to deserve your "obnoxious" lights. That's no excuse at all.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
carczar87 (02-09-2016), GeorgeJFrick (01-24-2016), Tcoat (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #25
86kahl

Drives: whiteout, dark tint
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone gotten hassled by cops for aftermarket tail lights and/or side mar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
I make a point of hitting my bright lights when I encounter those, and everyone else should also to make sure they know they're being assholes.

So you're saying that it's okay for you to be a jerk because other people are jerks? That doesn't help the guy behind you who hasn't done anything at all to you to deserve your "obnoxious" lights. That's no excuse at all.

You seem really upset about what other people do with their cars. I suggest a couple deep breaths and taking a nice walk? I mean there's a lot of things to be upset about (drunk driving,street drifting,"hoonage") but white/clear turn signals are pretty low on my list.
86kahl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86kahl For This Useful Post:
DannyQ86 (01-23-2016), SmartedPanda (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 03:00 PM   #26
KR-S
Sporadic Member

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S M/T
Thanked 3,552 Times in 1,746 Posts
Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Well shit, at least a good amount of people on this forum must be douchebags for having white sidemarkers.

For the record, I don't put white sidemarkers and I don't really care for them, but I didn't know that white sidemarkers made someone a shitty rude human being.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HueyLooie View Post
Nah, homes. It's your dadda's hot goopey goop.
KR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KR-S For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 06:47 PM   #27
extrashaky

Quote:
You seem really upset about what other people do with their cars.
Not really upset. Just taking the opportunity to let people know they're being rude. Maybe they didn't know they were being rude. Now they know. If they keep being rude now that they know, they deserve much worse than a ticket.

And to be clear, I don't give a crap what else you might do to your car. Some of our laws are stupid. A set of USDM Tom's tails isn't any safer or more visible than a JDM set. I would have no problem at all running those on my own car, because the lack of built-in side marker is going to make absolutely no difference to other drivers.

This is part of what's wrong with this country. Everybody only thinks about himself and seems to revel in being a fucking tool. "I don't give a shit if I'm blinding other drivers. They can just get over it, cuz this is Amurka and I can do what I want."

Quote:
I mean there's a lot of things to be upset about (drunk driving,street drifting,"hoonage") but white/clear turn signals are pretty low on my list.
This thread is not about drunk driving or street drifting. Are you sure you're in the right place?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-23-2016), GeorgeJFrick (01-24-2016), mdm (01-23-2016), Tcoat (01-23-2016)
Old 01-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
Well shit, at least a good amount of people on this forum must be douchebags for having white sidemarkers.

For the record, I don't put white sidemarkers and I don't really care for them, but I didn't know that white sidemarkers made someone a shitty rude human being.
I didn't put white on either. Why would I want to make my side markers stand out when they are almost invisible as they are?
86kahl (01-23-2016)