follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #15
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I actually hit the chicfila at on gilbert every morning after work, before all the traffic....so much fun.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Asphaltfrs1

Drives: 2013 asphalt fr-s
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf View Post
Two things that you might be interested in:

1) A center console armrest is supposed to be an option soon. Look for the part to become available later this summer.

2) Many people complained about the stock audio until they played with the settings of the stereo. It seems that most people had the factory default settings of the stereo set to TC and not FRS. Apparently, changing the audio settings to FRS makes the audio system crisper...at least that's what I've seen on these forums.
+1^
Once I changed the settings from Tc to FR-s I was able to adjust the sub and other options. It actually sounds good now
Asphaltfrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
mpicher
Autocross Nut

Drives: Argento 2013 Scion FR-S - MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltfrs1 View Post
+1^
Once I changed the settings from Tc to FR-s I was able to adjust the sub and other options. It actually sounds good now
Dittos... just changed mine from tC to FR-S yesterday.
mpicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
mikochu

Drives: 2010 VW GTI 2-Door (APR Stage II)
Sivtec,

Congratulations on your purchase. I used to have a 2009 Si Sedan and when I switched to a 2010 GTI, I missed the sound system in the Si. I think what's missing is external amp and subwoofer from the Si. You're missing that oomph.
2010 GTI 2dr MT CSG APR Stage II, SPM V1 IC, R8 Coils, K&N Drop-In, 42DD Race DP, Magnaflow CBE, CM FX300, S3 Short Shifter w/ 42DD/VM Bushings, Autotech Insert, StopTech Street Pads, Neuspeed Sport Springs/RSB/RSe12 Wheels, ED LED Tails
mikochu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #19
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
yea guys we should definitely do it, i don't one one yet sadly, ill be buying a 240sx for now but the dream is a 240sx and frs later on. still wouldn't mind cruising and hanging out with some frs owners and checking them out!
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:35 PM   #20
SilentMike

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT Asphalt
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Congrats on your new ride!

I've been waiting for a review from someone with 8th Gen SI experience. Please keep us posted on your observations, especially when you get past break-in. I'm curious to see how you compare it to the SI in terms of acceleration, handling, and fuel economy.

Enjoy, and be safe!

Mike Smith
SilentMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #21
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I too came from an 8th gen Si. While it was pretty quick, especially after all the bolt-ons and tuning, the FR-S has it beat for fun factor. It's not just just the superb handling and added fun of a RWD car, but also the general feeling you get.

With the Civic, it felt like a sports trim to an existing and commonplace car. You would see them dime a dozen in their EX and LX counterparts and while you'd feel pretty awesome in the Si, at the end of the day you had a Civic. Similar to what the SRT4 guys deal with, and I hate Neons, but I respect the numbers they put down.

You just feel more like a badass with a car that was purpose-built as a sports car instead of a trim on otherwise bland model.

That being said, I do miss the armrest dearly. I will be looking for that accessory the moment Scion offers it. They also have a subwoofer accessory that installs in the trunk, I may look into that, as I miss the lower range. The Bespoke system isn't bad though, Bluetooth works with Pandora+Waze, I'm a happy camper.

As for the interior, I like the minimal approach. It reminds me of the old vette interiors that were no frills. The lack of backlighting on some parts is kind of weak though, but they're things you will rarely change in the dark I feel.

One thing I absolutely do not miss was scraping on the lowered Si, ugh. While I still drive the FR-S with care over questionable bumps and dips, it has yet to bottom out. Loving the low profile without all the cringe-indusing noises.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
EZWood
BAMF

Drives: 13 fr-s, whiteout, MT. 94 ZJ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
hey, u chandler guys should come out to firebird the twentieth of july for drag and drift.
EZWood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EZWood For This Useful Post:
gmookher (09-28-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 AM   #23
Sivtec

Drives: 12 Mitsu Evo X, 09 Honda CBR 600 RR
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphaltfrs1 View Post
+1^

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpicher View Post
Dittos... just changed mine from tC to FR-S yesterday.
I found that my FR-S was already set to the right car. I did however change a couple settings and it sounds way better but it still doesnt beat the Si in sound, sorry but it just wont, but its nothing that cant be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentMike View Post
Congrats on your new ride!

I've been waiting for a review from someone with 8th Gen SI experience. Please keep us posted on your observations, especially when you get past break-in. I'm curious to see how you compare it to the SI in terms of acceleration, handling, and fuel economy.

Enjoy, and be safe!

Mike Smith
Hmm... well like I said this is only the second day of having this thing so it's gonna take some time to compare it to the SI just for the fact that I have been driving that for such a long time. I will definitely try to keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
I too came from an 8th gen Si. While it was pretty quick, especially after all the bolt-ons and tuning, the FR-S has it beat for fun factor. It's not just just the superb handling and added fun of a RWD car, but also the general feeling you get.

With the Civic, it felt like a sports trim to an existing and commonplace car. You would see them dime a dozen in their EX and LX counterparts and while you'd feel pretty awesome in the Si, at the end of the day you had a Civic. Similar to what the SRT4 guys deal with, and I hate Neons, but I respect the numbers they put down.

You just feel more like a badass with a car that was purpose-built as a sports car instead of a trim on otherwise bland model.

That being said, I do miss the armrest dearly. I will be looking for that accessory the moment Scion offers it. They also have a subwoofer accessory that installs in the trunk, I may look into that, as I miss the lower range. The Bespoke system isn't bad though, Bluetooth works with Pandora+Waze, I'm a happy camper.

As for the interior, I like the minimal approach. It reminds me of the old vette interiors that were no frills. The lack of backlighting on some parts is kind of weak though, but they're things you will rarely change in the dark I feel.

One thing I absolutely do not miss was scraping on the lowered Si, ugh. While I still drive the FR-S with care over questionable bumps and dips, it has yet to bottom out. Loving the low profile without all the cringe-indusing noises.
I TOTALLY agree. The fun factor in this car is just crazy. I loved my SI and it was pretty quick and I absolutely loved the VTEC but this car is just different, it truly feels like a sports car even if it isn't as fast as I would like it. It looks and feels like a sports car and that translates into the driving experience as well.

Ha and as far as the scraping, I never lowered my 08 but my 00 was hella low and I know how that was around bump and this is a step up although its still pretty low in some cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZWood View Post
hey, u chandler guys should come out to firebird the twentieth of july for drag and drift.
That sounds like a blast, I think I will be down for that as long as its after 5 PM. We definietely should schedule something for a Chandler meet. Let me know if this can be arranged, I will gladly help. Also does anyone know of any good professional tint places to get the FRS done in the valley?
Sivtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #24
drhorriblephd

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 6AT Firestorm
Awesome, I got mine at Big Two as well. I'm up for a meet and greet!

2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm 6AT
drhorriblephd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:25 AM   #25
Sivtec

Drives: 12 Mitsu Evo X, 09 Honda CBR 600 RR
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Whens best for everyone? I didnt realize how many FRS owners were in the Valley. Can anyone meet Sunday?
Sivtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #26
Gaiakai

Drives: '21 Civic Type R
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Congratulations! But... How the hell has this thread lasted without PICS?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM   #27
Pscylo

Drives: Raven FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
Also does anyone know of any good professional tint places to get the FRS done in the valley?
I went to a better tint for mine. ( http://www.abettertint.com/ )

I paid a little more for the nanoceramic tint, but they did an excellent job with edging. Took the typical hour and a half or so.

I wont make Firebird on the 20th, I work nights wed thurs fri.
Pscylo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #28
koyv90
Rocket Bunny FRS

Drives: 2013 Rocket Bunny FRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivtec View Post
Whens best for everyone? I didnt realize how many FRS owners were in the Valley. Can anyone meet Sunday?
sunday as in today?! Man I wish i lived in tempe now and not peoria! be easier to get there
koyv90 is offline   Reply With Quote