follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-16-2021, 11:14 PM   #1
jeepmor

Drives: 84 CJ7, 08 Duramax, 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bucking after new clutch install

I had a stage 2 SouthBend clutch installed a few months ago after the TOB failed. This is an Exedy clutch with 6 segments of their Feramic compound.

14 FRS at 87k manual trans car for reference. Put all new parts in down to a cerakoted bearing retainer, Verus fork and new subie TOB and flywheel. Only part I didn’t replace is the clutch pivot boss if I missed something.

Since then I can get some nasty bucking if trying to launch hard. It gets worse when after spirited driving for a good session. It’s tamed a bit since installation, but still occasionally it gets obnoxious. I was thinking it was break in norms, but it it has not stopped yet.

Also, I did have a Whiteline trans mount bushing installed. And lately, an HKS supercharger which has shown me how soft the bushing package really is making the issue more prevalent.

Now, to the solution space. I’m not sure if this is the engine/trans mount set or the rear end suspension bits. Any comments appreciated as to where to start. Which might just be buying a GoPro to see the problem.

My car is stock suspension wise other than the Whiteline trans bushing. I’d prefer an STI parts solution, but not sure if they address the rear end bushings with different parts like the STI grade engine and trans mounts.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeepmor For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-17-2021)
Old 06-17-2021, 12:18 AM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor View Post
I had a stage 2 SouthBend clutch installed a few months ago after the TOB failed. This is an Exedy clutch with 6 segments of their Feramic compound.

14 FRS at 87k manual trans car for reference. Put all new parts in down to a cerakoted bearing retainer, Verus fork and new subie TOB and flywheel. Only part I didn’t replace is the clutch pivot boss if I missed something.

Since then I can get some nasty bucking if trying to launch hard. It gets worse when after spirited driving for a good session. It’s tamed a bit since installation, but still occasionally it gets obnoxious. I was thinking it was break in norms, but it it has not stopped yet.

Also, I did have a Whiteline trans mount bushing installed. And lately, an HKS supercharger which has shown me how soft the bushing package really is making the issue more prevalent.

Now, to the solution space. I’m not sure if this is the engine/trans mount set or the rear end suspension bits. Any comments appreciated as to where to start. Which might just be buying a GoPro to see the problem.

My car is stock suspension wise other than the Whiteline trans bushing. I’d prefer an STI parts solution, but not sure if they address the rear end bushings with different parts like the STI grade engine and trans mounts.
Nasty "bucking"?

Please describe "bucking" in reference to an automobile?

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 12:40 AM   #3
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Clutch chatter. Stock clutch is rated to let go before the transmission frags, and engages smoothly.
Old 06-17-2021, 03:53 PM   #4
jeepmor

Quote:
Nasty "bucking"?

Please describe "bucking" in reference to an automobile?
Feels like wheel hop on a leaf spring suspension. It is clutch chatter of some sort, just expected it to wear in by now and go away. The feeling from the driver's seat is that the tailshaft of the trans is moving, or the rear suspension connection to the unibody is bucking to and fro its range of motion.

It is a 350 ft-lb clutch.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
jeepmor

So on one drive I purposely gave it a lot of clutch slip a few times to wear it in a bit more. Not obnoxious, just a few slow engagements making it slip a lot. It is improving the 1st gear takeoffs.

This clutch doesn't make it easy. Feels the same weight wise to the leg, but engages like rock compared to stock. Learning curve on the break in, I think I'll be fine in another month or so of commuting.

Last edited by jeepmor; 06-19-2021 at 11:48 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #6
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

It's the Whiteline trans mount 100% I had the stage 2 sb clutch in prior to doing the mount and Perrin insert. Take offs are still smooth but I do get some low speed bucking in 1st gear. Never had that before. So guessing that's what your feeling. Clutch feels OEM and take off is the same for me

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
jeepmor (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 10:57 PM   #7
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
It's the Whiteline trans mount 100% I had the stage 2 sb clutch in prior to doing the mount and Perrin insert. Take offs are still smooth but I do get some low speed bucking in 1st gear. Never had that before. So guessing that's what your feeling. Clutch feels OEM and take off is the same for me

I had my suspicions, I'll have to yank it and test again to be sure. I have slipped the clutch a bit figuring I was having a long break in as I'm pretty easy on clutches. But I never felt any shuddering that way, just first gear or reverse when trying to be brisk on take offs.
Old 06-30-2021, 11:00 PM   #8
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post

I had my suspicions, I'll have to yank it and test again to be sure. I have slipped the clutch a bit figuring I was having a long break in as I'm pretty easy on clutches. But I never felt any shuddering that way, just first gear or reverse when trying to be brisk on take offs. The bushings on this car seem really soft, I'm considering some STI bits.
jflogerzi (06-30-2021)
Old 06-30-2021, 11:06 PM   #9
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,452 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I had my suspicions, I'll have to yank it and test again to be sure. I have slipped the clutch a bit figuring I was having a long break in as I'm pretty easy on clutches. But I never felt any shuddering that way, just first gear or reverse when trying to be brisk on take offs. The bushings on this car seem really soft, I'm considering some STI bits.
Go with the STI n-group stuff. I have gotten used to my Whiteline+Perrin mount. It seems to have broken in but the bucking is there from time to time in low speed first gear driving.

2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #10
radroach

Drives: car
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@jeepmor you might need the whiteline positive traction kit (subframe and differential bushing) to stiffen the rear. IMO it makes my car much easier to drive at low rpm, can lug the engine and the (stock) clutch doesn't make a peep on my 130k mile car. Though will make the car stiffer than coilovers and very loud and sometimes you'll get noisy vibrations from the rear.

I also notice that the clutch might act differently after some heat has gotten into the clutch or bushings. Maybe more deflection, compliance, etc.
radroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
jeepmor

Was thinking I was all alone with this issue. I'm getting used to it as well and it has greatly reduced. I definitely put a large bit of that on breaking in the clutch. 350 ftlb of holding power is a lot more than stock, and when it bites, there is zero slip. My new routine of slipping the clutch on purpose is in 6th gear going 60ish. Not tortuous, just making it slip a bit, run a few miles to let it coole, slip it again routine. This helped a lot more than trying to do it in lower gears.

That said, It hasn't disappeared just yet, but I'm adapting well and not as concerned about it now. Pretty new to sports car stuff like this, but an old hat in regards to my jeep. And, now that I've driven enough, it's very similar in nature to wheel hop on the jeep leaf springs.

Thanks for the STI parts reference and Whiteline rear bushing suggestions. I've read the STI parts are stiffer, but still have low NVH. Not thrilled about the NVH feedback from radroach, but good to know it addresses a lot of this issue. It always felt like it was in the back end, not the clutch, but this type of issue can be difficult to pinpoint.

As stated before, it really feels like leaf spring wheel hop.
Old 12-04-2022, 08:20 PM   #12
jeepmor

I had the clutch opened back up recently, this root cause was the Verus fork with sloppy tolerances. The shop put in an OEM fork and all is well again, no more serious bucking.

Expensive mistake, but finally have this issue resolved. Also, the OEM throwout bearings still suck. At 30k, it's throwing rust dust out of it. Had the Exedy throwout bearing I saved from the Southbend clutch put in this time.
Wally86 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022, 09:59 AM   #13
Wally86
Be Kind

Drives: 2020 86
Thanked 1,249 Times in 602 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I had the clutch opened back up recently, this root cause was the Verus fork with sloppy tolerances. The shop put in an OEM fork and all is well again, no more serious bucking.

Expensive mistake, but finally have this issue resolved. Also, the OEM throwout bearings still suck. At 30k, it's throwing rust dust out of it. Had the Exedy throwout bearing I saved from the Southbend clutch put in this time.

What in the tolerance was sloppy?
Old 12-05-2022, 12:17 PM   #14
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,195 Times in 509 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That is an extremely weird source for something like this...