follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #393
Ketchum88

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
Anyone heard any info on update kit for the KitKat Toyota units? Emailed them and they said nothing yet. Don't understand what's the hold up since they are selling the unit with lollipop now.
I think a few pages back in this thread it was discussed that the only way ones with the 4.4.4 unit would be able to upgrade to lollipop was if you purchased the motherboard upgrade kit from joying directly and installed it yourself.

Honestly unless you are looking for a certain lollipop feature that KitKat does not have...there is little reason to upgrade. Both have the same theme skin and it is the same quad core processor and 1 gb of ram so you will doing the same things with it. I have no issues with mine being on KitKat.
Ketchum88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 04:22 PM   #394
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchum88 View Post
I think a few pages back in this thread it was discussed that the only way ones with the 4.4.4 unit would be able to upgrade to lollipop was if you purchased the motherboard upgrade kit from joying directly and installed it yourself.

Honestly unless you are looking for a certain lollipop feature that KitKat does not have...there is little reason to upgrade. Both have the same theme skin and it is the same quad core processor and 1 gb of ram so you will doing the same things with it. I have no issues with mine being on KitKat.
Yes I know it needs a new motherboard. I'm asking because they still have not posted anything about the upgrade kit for this unit. They had only put it up for two units only.
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM   #395
doctorman
Joying-USA

Drives: Highlander 08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rican_D View Post
Yes I know it needs a new motherboard. I'm asking because they still have not posted anything about the upgrade kit for this unit. They had only put it up for two units only.
the specialty head units are not that easy to upgrade since beside the motherboard the touch screen needs to be changed and it gets complicated for average user to change it without breaking something.

as was mentioned. the 4.4.4 model does a great job and I would stay with the mtcB 4.4.4 model till the mtcD 5.1 model is more stable and also get the 2GB RAM upgrade.

If I can help you guys out with Joying products let me know. I check the forum from time to time when time allows.
doctorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to doctorman For This Useful Post:
Ketchum88 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-15-2016, 06:52 PM   #396
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
No Malaysk Roms for the Lollipop units yet...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/andr...evice-t3385309

Isn't this for 5.1 Lolipop? These are roms for MTCD which I thought implies Lolipop 5.1.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #397
l0aded
Addicted

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
When I am playing music via Spotify and run Google Maps, music will stop immediately. I think it is being muted (as opposed to paused).

Is this happening for anyone else? It seems to be only Google Maps; Waze runs fine with background music.
Phantom Supercharger | Tsudo Cat-Back Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Winjet Headlights | Opti-coated | 35/20 Tint | Radar/Dashcam Hardwired | OFT tuned | OEM Audio+ Reference 400CF | Uber Sound Deadened | LED DRL strips | JPM Coachworks Kneepads
l0aded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #398
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0aded View Post
When I am playing music via Spotify and run Google Maps, music will stop immediately. I think it is being muted (as opposed to paused).

Is this happening for anyone else? It seems to be only Google Maps; Waze runs fine with background music.
Mine did that too with poweramp. Google maps was generally having issues too. Try Uninstalling all updates for Google maps, that fixed it for me.

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 09:13 AM   #399
arrow34

Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,
What is everyone using for a music app? Also what are your eq settings? I am using poweramp ,which is great, but I am having an issue with getting the sound right at higher volumes... IT is either too boomy or tinny.?
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #400
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Here are my equalizer settings:

I'm not done tweaking it, but it sounds pretty good to my ears, better than the stock radio at least. It's a little warmer than neutral so you might want to drop the midrange a bit more if that's not your thing. Bass could be a smidge higher but this setting keeps my doors from rattling.

-Josh
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
arrow34 (08-29-2016)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #401
Pointmutation

Drives: 2016 ZC6
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post
Hi all,
What is everyone using for a music app? Also what are your eq settings? I am using poweramp ,which is great, but I am having an issue with getting the sound right at higher volumes... IT is either too boomy or tinny.?
I've been using Black player for a while. I like it but I'm still open to trying out others. As for EQ settings, it really depends on the song and what kind of music you listen to.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #402
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointmutation View Post
I've been using Black player for a while. I like it but I'm still open to trying out others. As for EQ settings, it really depends on the song and what kind of music you listen to.
I just tried black player, is there a way to enable the fade in/out on play/pause like in poweramp?

-Josh
Old 08-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #403
BRZyJ

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited / 2015 Q50S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post
Hi all,
Doesn't have the best UI around, but sound-wise I've settled on the free version of Onkyo's HF Player:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...jp.musicplayer

It's got a bunch of EQ presets from different musicians which is kind of interesting, and the paid version works with USB DAC's.
BRZyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #404
Pointmutation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
I just tried black player, is there a way to enable the fade in/out on play/pause like in poweramp? -Josh
I'm not sure. I've always thought fade in/out was a nice touch in music apps but I don't go particularly looking around for that function.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:38 AM   #405
Pointmutation

Finally had some time to open up my dash and get the stock reverse cam working with my Joying 4.4.4 unit. Also wired up the radio antenna even though I only listen to the radio rarely.

See http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...39#post2740339 for how I wired up my 2016 BRZ stock reverse camera to the Joying HU without modifying any stock pieces.

And for the radio antenna, I used a Metra 40-LX11 antenna adapter to plug into the HU. The blue wire on the adapter was not used since BRZ has antenna power on another harness already. The HU already had the antenna amp wire connected correctly for my 2016 BRZ.

Testing everything out... Fire extinguisher just in case. j/k

Tested everything out before reassembly of dash and all worked as expected. Reverse camera lines have to be activated in the android OS but the default ones in the Malaysk rom I'm using doesn't line up well for the angle of the stock camera. I'll have to mod the apk for that later on. The radio reception using this HU is so much better than the stock 2016 Starlink unit I originally had. Like day and night difference.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:33 PM   #406
Rican_D

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Anyone try the malaysk 5.1 ROM for mtcb HU?
Rican_D is offline   Reply With Quote