follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 01-14-2015, 04:05 PM   #57
Apex_BRZ

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited (WRB)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Spent the weekend at Sebring and had a blast. Car performed flawlessly, no issues. I did, however, go through more than half a set of Carbotech XP10 front pads. That surprised the hell out of me, and I did 8 sessions at 30min each. Thought they would last longer than that.

Now I have a bit of time to get the car ready before the next track even in a couple months at Road America. Thinking of moving to the Carbotech Xp12 pads in the front. Also, I will be installing a Jackson Racing Oil Cooler before that track day. I saw 282F oil temps at Sebring on a 65F day. I didn't even bother checking the next day when it was 80F, I was too chicken.

I do have a problem though, actually a couple. Under power, my car makes a high pitched noise from what seems like the front of the car. I can't figure out what it is. No apparent issues, just a noise. Only happens when I press the gas pedal It drove me insane driving 20hrs back from Sebring listening to it. I'm almost convinced it's actually from the rear, which is where I'm having another problem...and it's just feeding back through the car oddly.

Which leads me to what I know is an issue, the rear differential whines. Anyone else having this problem? I'm hoping just changing the fluid will fix this, as I understand it needs to be changed at 30k miles anyway. I'm nearly there, and with track use....maybe it should have been done sooner. What fluid do you guys recommend for a car that sees track time?

Last edited by Apex_BRZ; 01-14-2015 at 04:18 PM.
Apex_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #58
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_BRZ View Post
Spent the weekend at Sebring and had a blast. Car performed flawlessly, no issues. I did, however, go through more than half a set of Carbotech XP10 front pads. That surprised the hell out of me, and I did 8 sessions at 30min each. Thought they would last longer than that.

Now I have a bit of time to get the car ready before the next track even in a couple months at Road America. Thinking of moving to the Carbotech Xp12 pads in the front. Also, I will be installing a Jackson Racing Oil Cooler before that track day. I saw 282F oil temps at Sebring on a 65F day. I didn't even bother checking the next day when it was 80F, I was too chicken.

I do have a problem though, actually a couple. Under power, my car makes a high pitched noise from what seems like the front of the car. I can't figure out what it is. No apparent issues, just a noise. Only happens when I press the gas pedal It drove me insane driving 20hrs back from Sebring listening to it. I'm almost convinced it's actually from the rear, which is where I'm having another problem...and it's just feeding back through the car oddly.

Which leads me to what I know is an issue, the rear differential whines. Anyone else having this problem? I'm hoping just changing the fluid will fix this, as I understand it needs to be changed at 30k miles anyway. I'm nearly there, and with track use....maybe it should have been done sooner. What fluid do you guys recommend for a car that sees track time?
#1: Sebring is hard on brakes. XP10 is great for the person looking to have a lot of fun at the track but isn't exactly that quick. You definitely need to increase the heat capacity...XP12, W6, or 999 would be a better pad to use. If you're still getting like 3 track days out of these, then you really need the AP Racing kit (Sprint is just enough for NA).

#2: JROC Kit on a NA car with vented hood was running at 228F in high ambient temperatures. Ask @juliog.

#3: Diff oil changes are normally recommended at every 2 track days. Most people don't do it so use your best judgment. Whining is not good. It also means you probably overheated your fluid and your diff wasn't being lubricated properly.
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:35 PM   #59
AZP Installs

Drives: '11 STi->'14 BRZ | '14 Touareg TDi
Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to AZP Installs
We've been enjoying the Perrin/Setrab Oil Cooler we installed on our Project cars with max temps in high heat and high humidity was 235 at Homestead and our car is pushing 212whp out.

As for brakes, step up to a race pad like the DTC60 or DTC70 before going to a BBK. If you car in NA there is likely no reason you should need to get a BBK even running race tires.

On the Diffy Oil, we change out ours about every 4 or 5 track weekends and we are running the Motul Gear 300 75w90 in both the trans and rear diffy. I would look to get that changed out sooner rather than later and see if the whine goes away.

We can drop ship you the Motul, just let us know.

-Mike Paisan

Maintaining, Modifying and Educating TriState Enthusiasts since 2001.
Like us on Facebook! | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) |AIM: AZP Installs
"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"
AZP Installs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:06 PM   #60
Apex_BRZ

Thanks guys. I'm going to order the gear oil right away, and will start changing that every couple track days for extra insurance. What about trans fluid?

I'm a bit confused on the brake pads. Do you guys consider the Carbotech XP12 in the same range of pad as the Mu999 and W6? Those two are incredibly expensive. I will probably try the XP12 next, and in looking at them just now...I noticed that one site recommended that I use dedicated rotors with them due to the material transfer.

So a question popped into my head. Should I be swapping dedicated track rotors with the race pads to make sure that I'm using rotors that have a clean material transfer to them?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #61
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Now I have a bit of time to get the car ready before the next track even in a couple months at Road America.
What club do you run with there? I'll be there in June I think.
redlined600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 01:44 AM   #62
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Subbed because good info!
Old 01-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #63
Jetbill

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2014 BMW 335 M-Sport
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Spent the weekend at Sebring and had a blast.
Matt-pleasure meeting you. I followed you for a bit, greet driving. Your line into 17 looked good, I started using it late in the day Sunday.
Jetbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 06:44 AM   #64
Doozer

Drives: gt86...among others
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm going to order the gear oil right away, and will start changing that every couple track days for extra insurance. What about trans fluid?

I'm a bit confused on the brake pads. Do you guys consider the Carbotech XP12 in the same range of pad as the Mu999 and W6? Those two are incredibly expensive. I will probably try the XP12 next, and in looking at them just now...I noticed that one site recommended that I use dedicated rotors with them due to the material transfer.

So a question popped into my head. Should I be swapping dedicated track rotors with the race pads to make sure that I'm using rotors that have a clean material transfer to them?

I know they are very expensive, but we tracked a set of CL-6 pads on our Enduro kit and the set lasted us an entire season (over 40 track hrs) and we still have life left. High cost of entry but untimely cheaper then other pads we tried in the past. We use the same set of rotor for track and race without issue.

The CL-6's aren't touchy. If feels like driving an old european car where the harder to press the faster you stop. No fade and consistent either hot or cold. The 6's are sintered though and make a hell of a noise.

We found if you don't do the "pedal dance" pad life is reduced by more then half. The TC really eats em up

just my 2...
Old 01-15-2015, 11:10 AM   #65
Sleepless

Drives: 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I have the Perrin oil cooler and it has worked well (max 235F oil temps) on my NA BRZ. However, given they cost about the same, I'd go with the JR cooler since it has more cooling capacity if I were getting one.

How do the DTC 60/70 pads compare to the XP12s? I get about 4 days out of the XP12s.

I change the diff fluid every 4 or 5 track days; using Motul 300. Same for the trans; however, the Motul is a bit thick for the trans in the winter so I use the Motul in the trans only during the warm months; otherwise the trans is a bit balky in the winter.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #66
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Just a similar temperature range; I'd take a 999 over a XP12, but that's just personal preference. I can drive perfectly fine on a XP12.

You can re-use the rotors, but you'll be re-bedding pads the first session, so keep that in mind when you're braking for the first few laps.

The whole "dedicated rotors" thing is more of a manufacturer's way of the usual "CYA".
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #67
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepless View Post
I have the Perrin oil cooler and it has worked well (max 235F oil temps) on my NA BRZ. However, given they cost about the same, I'd go with the JR cooler since it has more cooling capacity if I were getting one.

How do the DTC 60/70 pads compare to the XP12s? I get about 4 days out of the XP12s.

I change the diff fluid every 4 or 5 track days; using Motul 300. Same for the trans; however, the Motul is a bit thick for the trans in the winter so I use the Motul in the trans only during the warm months; otherwise the trans is a bit balky in the winter.
If you're getting 4 days out of the XP12, the next step is to consider a higher temp pad like the PMU 999, or Winmax W7. However, you need to keep in mind that you're up against a thermal wall; there is nothing past those pads in terms of temperature capacity.

The real solution is a BBK; your brake pad life should easily double with the Essex Sprint kit. As you get faster, your brake pad life will drop, but you can again increase it by adding brake ducts, or sizing larger to an Endurance kit.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #68
Apex_BRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetbill View Post
Matt-pleasure meeting you. I followed you for a bit, greet driving. Your line into 17 looked good, I started using it late in the day Sunday.
Hey, great meeting you too. Sorry we didn't get more of a chance to chat, I was on my way to meet with my instructor when you stopped me. Sebring was a blast, too bad it's so far away (Iowa). I don't recall seeing you on the track very often, but your car seemed really quick the one time you ripped by me. Turbo or Supercharger?

I had a great instructor who was very aggressive. That line through Turn 17 seemed to work really well. Even with my poor downshifts (can't heel/toe yet), I was catching a lot of much faster cars on that turn. I was putting down much faster times than one of my buddies until he started using it too.