follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 02-19-2021, 05:45 PM   #29
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I don't think Haltech is that bad. Motec is far more pricey.
What's the Haltech run? I thought it was 4k+

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 05:56 PM   #30
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,322 Times in 7,380 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
What's the Haltech run? I thought it was 4k+

The 1500 Elite is about 1500 for the ECU alone, but the real price will be in the custom harness and the work they did to translate the canbus to make everything work. I wouldn't doubt it's around 4k as a package for the ECU. The Motec is 6k. The way I see it, you got to pay to play if you want everything to work on a modern car.

Even getting it to run on the OEM ecu and build a harness isn't going to be cheap. A custom engine harness from a company like Rywire is 1500-3k. And then you are talking the custom tuning to get the ECU to run an engine it wasn't designed to. Unless they are providing a base map, that is a LOT of dyno time. If you are on a budget that is a good amount of savings, but still not cheap.
wparsons (02-23-2021)
Old 02-19-2021, 09:01 PM   #31
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Haltech is fuckin expensive so I don't see how it couldn't be cheaper. All current swap options that reuse the stock computer are cheaper than the fancy standalones. Only option that might be cheaper is the Hydra EMS from Element Tuning. It could be made to run a Honda motor but I certainly don't have the knowledge to do it

ECUTEK cable and license is $750+. If someone wanted to add flex fuel control then Delicious Tuning, for instance, offers a control module and FF kit for $600. The sensor is only $100 as a standalone replacement, so say $450 for the module. I don't know if a module is necessary, but the price of the ECUTEK and FF kit is $1200, which is getting close to the price of the Haltech, and the Haltech will offer a lot more, so while it could be cheaper to use the factory ECU and ECUTEK, it may not be the best value, and as people want to upgrade, the Haltech may offer more standard features that closes the gap on adding on tertiary modules. I'm not saying for sure because I am not familiar with everything that is offered on ECUTEK or on the Haltech Elite 1500.

It sounds like the factory ECU option is for people who need the factory ECU with stock tune to be able to pass smog in their state. Someone would still need an ECUTEK cable and license and custom tune if they were running any setup other than the stock K24 setup.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #32
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
ECUTEK cable and license is $750+. If someone wanted to add flex fuel control then Delicious Tuning, for instance, offers a control module and FF kit for $600. The sensor is only $100 as a standalone replacement, so say $450 for the module. I don't know if a module is necessary, but the price of the ECUTEK and FF kit is $1200, which is getting close to the price of the Haltech, and the Haltech will offer a lot more, so while it could be cheaper to use the factory ECU and ECUTEK, it may not be the best value, and as people want to upgrade, the Haltech may offer more standard features that closes the gap on adding on tertiary modules. I'm not saying for sure because I am not familiar with everything that is offered on ECUTEK or on the Haltech Elite 1500.

It sounds like the factory ECU option is for people who need the factory ECU with stock tune to be able to pass smog in their state. Someone would still need an ECUTEK cable and license and custom tune if they were running any setup other than the stock K24 setup.

The stock maps won't work on the K24 either, it would need a ton of custom development and tuning to make it work on the stock ECU. Once that's done once it would be easy to tweak on a car by car basis, but the original base map will be very time consuming.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #33
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
It was solidsnake11. He deleted his posts, but it didn't have a step-by-step/DIY writeup or anything. I think he adapted the stock harness into the Honda's actuators. KPower notes that there will be a stock ECU option instead of using the Haltech ECU. I don't know if it will be cheaper to use the the stock ECU and then using ECUTEK like solidsnake11 did than just using the Haltech system. We will see.

I wonder if KPower approached him to help with their stock ECU solution...
Old 02-23-2021, 02:01 PM   #34
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
The stock maps won't work on the K24 either, it would need a ton of custom development and tuning to make it work on the stock ECU. Once that's done once it would be easy to tweak on a car by car basis, but the original base map will be very time consuming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
I wonder if KPower approached him to help with their stock ECU solution...
When you say stock ECU, do you mean the K24’s ECU? I think solidsnake11 ran off the 86’s ECU, but KPower probably will be providing something for the K24’s ECU, where the car runs off the 86’s ECU and the engine runs off the K24’s ECU, and they build a module to talk between the two. In many states, a swap is legal as long as the emissions are in place and the engine’s ECU is used with the factory map. In that case, I don’t know if they would need to consult him.

Again, I believe Solidsnake11 used the 86’s ECU and much of the 86’s harness and some actuators to run the K24–different than this. That is how he ran eight injectors.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #35
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
When you say stock ECU, do you mean the K24’s ECU? I think solidsnake11 ran off the 86’s ECU, but KPower probably will be providing something for the K24’s ECU, where the car runs off the 86’s ECU and the engine runs off the K24’s ECU, and they build a module to talk between the two. In many states, a swap is legal as long as the emissions are in place and the engine’s ECU is used with the factory map. In that case, I don’t know if they would need to consult him.

Again, I believe Solidsnake11 used the 86’s ECU and much of the 86’s harness and some actuators to run the K24–different than this. That is how he ran eight injectors.

I meant the 86 stock ECU. Running them in parallel with a translator could work.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:56 PM   #36
Irace86.2.0

Old 02-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #37
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i love honda engine as well..they last forever!!
but it would cost my arms and legs, i wouldnt do swap lol
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote