follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

View Poll Results: Which jab have you had?
Pfizer 53 51.96%
Moderna 27 26.47%
Johnson & Johnson 6 5.88%
AstraZeneca 4 3.92%
Novavax 0 0%
Sputnik 1 0.98%
Convidecia 0 0%
Homebrew with a big dose of something special 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 04:38 PM   #631
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
There are so many things wrong with the absurd rationale of deniers who are willing to 'take their chances' because '95% of people do just fine' that it's hard to think of where to start.

No one knows beforehand how hard they will be hit. You may be asymptomatic. Or have mild symptoms. Or you might spend weeks in a hospital, suffering greatly. Maybe even having to go on a ventilator. Or you might die. While younger, healthier people generally have an easier time of it and older people generally do not, there are no absolutes. A lot of younger, healthier people have died, or are wrestling with long-term problems, such as cognitive impairment, or heart damage.

I think that's the last thing we need, is for people who already might be of questionable cognitive functioning to have further brain damage after a bout of COVID-19. This country has enough problems already without further dumbing down the population.

I also have absolutely no patience for selfish, short-sighted, impatient people who complain that they're 'done with the virus'. I hate to tell you, but the coronavirus isn't done with us. Likewise, I have no tolerance for people who complain that 'wearing masks is uncomfortable', or that they don't like the 'inconvenience' or 'infringement of their rights' in not being able to eat indoors in a restaurant.

I think that dying is much more uncomfortable than wearing a mask. Suffering for weeks in a hospital, and the possibility of long-term health problems afterwards, is a lot more inconvenient than forgoing dining in a restaurant for a couple of months.

The pandemic has hurt almost everyone. Those that have lost their jobs must be helped. Financial support must be given to those who need it.

But hundreds of millions of people have suffered far worse and tolerated it with much more composure and equanimity, and with greater respect for others. Everyone in my family of my parents’ and grandparents’ generations endured the horrors of living in Europe through World War II. Some of my family were forced into the nightmarish camps, and most of those who entered, died there.

For over four years, my family members lived without any restaurants, bars, shopping, schools, libraries, bowling alleys, museums, concerts, or entertainment of any kind. Their homes were taken from them, and they spent over four years on the run. Electricity, running water, and flush toilets were only memories. The food markets were often closed, and when open, rarely had much. They were constantly hungry and foraging in forests for something to eat. Adding to the horror was the constant dread of German soldiers bursting through the door at any time to take people away. Nighttime brought the terror of bombing raids, hiding out in darkened corners, basements, or woods, listening to the whistling of falling bombs, not knowing if the next one would hit them, and then wondering who was killed by the last explosion.

My (late) mother told how one day in April 1941 she and her friends, just teenagers, were strafed by invading German planes as they ran across a field, trying to get home from school. Decades later she still had nightmares about it, unable to ever forget the terrifying sound of the sirens on the Stukas as they dove down on them, machine gunning them. She made it. Some of her friends didn't. That was a hell of a lot more uncomfortable and inconvenient than having to wear a mask.

My uncle was dragged away to the Gross-Rosen concentration camp at age 14, and suffered four years in forced labor. He was one of the lucky ones. He never saw any of his family again. They all died in the camps. They were among the 50 million Europeans killed in the war. His education ended at the 8th grade. Being totally alone in the world when liberated at 18 in a continent destroyed by war, going back to school just wasn’t an option. He had to survive any way he could.

Unlike many people today, my family didn’t have the option of living in their own home, surrounded by their comforts. They didn’t have high-speed internet, Netflix access to unlimited movies, a thousand cable channels, Spotify, Zoom, or smart phones (or phones of any kind). They didn’t have Amazon to deliver any of over 12 million products to their door. They couldn’t go for walks in a park, or enjoy outdoor dining. All they had for any distraction were a handful of books that they read and reread again and again over the years.

So to those who complain that they’ve ‘had enough’ of restrictions, who are miserable because the constraints required by the virus are interfering with their party plans, who think it’s asking too much of them to wear a mask both for their own protection and to safeguard and respect the lives of others, who would freak out at the prospect of going back to heightened restrictions and ‘just can’t take it anymore’, I suggest, get real, and get over yourselves. You could have it a lot worse. And if you don’t get with the program, it will get a lot worse.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-14-2021), humfrz (01-14-2021), soundman98 (01-14-2021), spike021 (01-14-2021), Spuds (01-14-2021), Ultramaroon (01-14-2021), wbradley (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:47 PM   #632
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Well, its been 24+ hours since I got my second vaccine dose. The injection point is sore, but not as much as with the first. I don't believe I've had any other reactions.

Of course, that in itself concerns me. I was expecting a little reaction to it.
It is hit or miss. Multiple people had no symptoms with the second shot or less than the first, which seems more reasonable to me unless the second dose was a bigger dose or something. I did have a fever coworkers with equal reactions to myself.

Either you had immunity through exposure to COVID in microdosing or full on and didn’t know it, or you had mild immunity from a previous version of the generic coronavirus that caused cross-immunity, or your dose spoiled, or your immune system didn’t find the threat significant enough or something.
Dadhawk (01-14-2021), spike021 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #633
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,802 Times in 3,297 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Looks like it causes scoliosis too. Yikes!
That can be just positional. The person looks like they are in a bed and not compliant with raising their head. In fact, they may have not been breathing in and holding their breath, which is why the diaphragm looks high to me. I’ve heard docs say the lungs can look bad just from not holding the breath in. Anecdotal images, but probably true.
Dadhawk (01-14-2021), Ultramaroon (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 07:06 PM   #634
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
"In one of her Twitter posts, she says “post-covid lungs look worse than any type of terrible smokers lung we’ve ever seen.”
“Everyone’s just so worried about the mortality thing and that’s terrible and it’s awful. But man, and all the survivors and the people who have tested positive this is, it’s going to be a problem,” Dr. Bankhead-Kendall said."

Source
I think that is a bit misleading. I'd imagine only severe to moderate cases are like this.

Heck my lungs looked pretty bad for a while from pneumonia. Last time I had a chest x-ray the doctor asked how much I smoked quite sternly.

EDIT: Yes I know what I posted at the end is anecdotal, I get annoyed with incomplete info because it becomes ammo.

Last edited by NoHaveMSG; 01-14-2021 at 07:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NoHaveMSG For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-15-2021), Irace86.2.0 (01-14-2021), soundman98 (01-14-2021), spike021 (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 08:50 PM   #635
Captain Snooze
Because compromise ®

Drives: Red Herring
Thanked 9,317 Times in 4,120 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
I think that is a bit misleading. I'd imagine only severe to moderate cases are like this.

Heck my lungs looked pretty bad for a while from pneumonia. Last time I had a chest x-ray the doctor asked how much I smoked quite sternly.

EDIT: Yes I know what I posted at the end is anecdotal, I get annoyed with incomplete info because it becomes ammo.

Yeah, I was thinking something similar when I posted. The source I quoted looked quite "popular media" and the picture from the article only gave one example of each. I'm guessing the point of the article was to inform at a fairly base level and for that purpose I thought the article acceptable.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (01-14-2021), NoHaveMSG (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:18 PM   #636
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze View Post
Yeah, I was thinking something similar when I posted. The source I quoted looked quite "popular media" and the picture from the article only gave one example of each. I'm guessing the point of the article was to inform at a fairly base level and for that purpose I thought the article acceptable.

Thanks for understanding my half assed attempt at what I was trying to say. I have a lot of good friends that don’t believe in what is happening and they use articles like this as evidence of bad science even though the destruction of lung tissue is something we have known for a while. When they read an article like this and it says “all survivors” they hang on it when it was clearly taken out of context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Captain Snooze (01-14-2021), Irace86.2.0 (01-14-2021), soundman98 (01-14-2021), spike021 (01-14-2021), Ultramaroon (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 09:44 PM   #637
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
There are so many things wrong with the absurd rationale of deniers who are willing to 'take their chances' because '95% of people do just fine' that it's hard to think of where to start.

Powerful post -
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (01-15-2021), Ultramaroon (01-14-2021), wbradley (01-15-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #638
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Either you had immunity through exposure to COVID in microdosing or full on and didn’t know it, or you had mild immunity from a previous version of the generic coronavirus that caused cross-immunity, or your dose spoiled, or your immune system didn’t find the threat significant enough or something.
Well, that narrows it down.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #639
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I tried for quite some time to respond beyond the thanks button but it all felt inadequate. Then I saw @humfrz' response.

+1 to what he said.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #640
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
That can be just positional. The person looks like they are in a bed and not compliant with raising their head. In fact, they may have not been breathing in and holding their breath, which is why the diaphragm looks high to me. I’ve heard docs say the lungs can look bad just from not holding the breath in. Anecdotal images, but probably true.
But it could be scoliosis. Just sayin'.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:26 PM   #641
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Thanks for understanding my half assed attempt at what I was trying to say. I have a lot of good friends that don’t believe in what is happening and they use articles like this as evidence of bad science even though the destruction of lung tissue is something we have known for a while. When they read an article like this and it says “all survivors” they hang on it when it was clearly taken out of context.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't be shocked if my lungs looked something like that just from construction debris. Sometimes I'll get a mask, "but it'll just take 5 more minutes."
Ultramaroon (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #642
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if my lungs looked something like that just from construction debris. Sometimes I'll get a mask, "but it'll just take 5 more minutes."
Especially anything with silica dust. That is what killed my grandfather on my dad's side. He sandblasted saws for 40 years in the garage for my grandmother to paint. Even though he wore a respirator the whole time that stuff gets in your lungs. He ended up with Miner's Lung even though he worked at a grocery store his whole life.
soundman98 (01-14-2021), Ultramaroon (01-14-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 10:52 PM   #643
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Was your grandma a saw blade painter?

Used to see them everywhere, now flea markets usually have one or three.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:00 PM   #644
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
Was your grandma a saw blade painter?

Used to see them everywhere, now flea markets usually have one or three.
Yes she did oil paintings. In front of their house was a 6ft circular saw she got from the lumber mill. She did a lot of big crosscut saws too, some as big as 8ft across.
Ultramaroon (01-14-2021)
Closed Thread

Tags
eagle5 got sandy vag, tread harder daddy, tylerlieberman is a cuck