follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 06-29-2012, 10:58 PM   #169
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadoquad View Post
I apologize. I was thinking of BRZ Limited. That is my bad.

2k is a fair amount cheaper, sure, but it's still the same ballpark.

And, like I said, a base FRS is 25k MSRP.

Now, if you can talk a salesman down on a BRZ to pay invoice, that would be special. But that's not what Subaru has offered me in recent weeks. Ford has. It will be interesting as we get into colder weather and end of model year. That is when the dealing is done for performance cars
i get emails to buy a gt for 24800
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnapOv3st3r View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about and you are taking something out of it that I didn't say. Those cars are drastically different from one another. And if you are considering a Mustang GT to a Miata, sorry you simply "don't" know what you want.

If you are saying a Mustang V6, Gen Coupe, 350z....that's a lot closer than a Miata and V8 Mustang GT.

There is such a word as indecisive. If your category includes a V8 Stang and a Miata, that to me is rather indecisive and you don't know exactly what you want out of a RWD car in the $27-30k range.
the cars are different but there are literally hundreds of posts commenting on the on the comparison of these two cars. even car mags have put them up against eachother. i buy cars based on value and in the case of sports cars fun...the frs and the mustang are both fun. i dont think it makes me indecisive
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #170
SnapOv3st3r

Drives: 400whp Scion tC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
the cars are different but there are literally hundreds of posts commenting on the on the comparison of these two cars. even car mags have put them up against eachother. i buy cars based on value and in the case of sports cars fun...the frs and the mustang are both fun. i dont think it makes me indecisive

There are car mags comparing a Mustang GT to the twins? Which ones? Only seen V6 Mustang.
SnapOv3st3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 11:15 PM   #171
fatoni

Quote:
There are car mags comparing a Mustang GT to the twins? Which ones? Only seen V6 Mustang.
split hairs. either way this is page 8 of a thread that you seem to think nobody is talking about
The Following User Says Thank You to fatoni For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (06-29-2012)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #172
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
split hairs. either way this is page 8 of a thread that you seem to think nobody is talking about
So...in loose translation, the answer to my question is that there are none. Just want to be clear on that.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #173
fatoni

Quote:
So...in loose translation, the answer to my question is that there are none. Just want to be clear on that.
guess not. enjoy the victory. kinda funny how you arent as quick to comment when others have brought up the v6 from the other side of the argument
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #174
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
There are only a handful of reasonable production performance cars on the market. Yes it may seem strange to do a side by side of some of them but in the end they are all trying to achieve more than the average vehicle, and in that is where you see a GT along side a miata. Hell people can cross shop every performance combo you can think of; MS3 vs BRZ.

dont be close minded, you are sure to miss something.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chulooz For This Useful Post:
shadoquad (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 AM   #175
Capt Canuck

Drives: BMW E36 323is
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I have no idea what you are talking about and you are taking something out of it that I didn't say. Those cars are drastically different from one another. And if you are considering a Mustang GT to a Miata, sorry you simply "don't" know what you want.

If you are saying a Mustang V6, Gen Coupe, 350z....that's a lot closer than a Miata and V8 Mustang GT.

There is such a word as indecisive. If your category includes a V8 Stang and a Miata, that to me is rather indecisive and you don't know exactly what you want out of a RWD car in the $27-30k range.
Wow! You have to be being deliberately obtuse for poops and giggles now. You said this:

Quote:
You pick a car based on your needs and preferences. Pointless to argue which is better to someone else who has different values.
How is what you are doing above in any way different?
You still have no idea what I am talking about

Lets say I have the following. How does that make the Miata and Mustang mutually exclusive?
Needs - affordable (to me) transportation for two people.
Preferences - fun, manual, reliable, rwd, quick, fit bags for weekends away.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 AM   #176
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
guess not. enjoy the victory. kinda funny how you arent as quick to comment when others have brought up the v6 from the other side of the argument

You mean the modified V6 Mustang vs a completely bone stock Twin case?

The only two things I have to say on that.

-V6 Stang with PP = $28-30k...Price of a GT as most of you have commented that you can get a GT for that price too, so that's a pointless purchase imo and would just have bought the GT.

-The upgrades applied to it, only showed a marginal gain in performance over a Stock Twin, that could be made up in driving alone, or a set of better equipped tires. Not significant enough in my opinion.

I'm sure you won't agree with the second opinion, but that's why it's preceded with my, as in my opinion.

What was your opinion again on that? Don't feel like skipping back through pages.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 AM   #177
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

-V6 Stang with PP = $28-30k...Price of a GT as most of you have commented that you can get a GT for that price too, so that's a pointless purchase imo and would just have bought the GT.

A little exxagerated there. I factory ordered my 2013 v6 with performance package, security package, and pedestal spoiler and it was 24500 before tax. 400 dollars less than a msrp FR-S
Idk where the 28 came from for a v6 PP

28 is infact a fair, easy to obtain, off the lot price for a new GT

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #178
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Drives: 13 Hot Lava Frs, 88 Supra Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grateful Dave View Post
If it such a piece of crap tranny, why do they put a 8 speed version of it in a Lexus IS-F? They say the FR-S is the same tranny minus 2 gears to become a 6 speed. Gear ratios would be different but same tranny design. These are made by Aisin who make for many different cars. Couple this transmission with the Torsen LSD (which they use in the Lexus) and you have one nice automatic drive train. Somewhere there is a thread of an article explaining the drive train in detail Aisin & Torsen model #'s etc.
I'm not saying it is better but for the buck, You can't beat it! You get a Lexus level transmission & drive train at a Toyota/Scion price.

Take an AT FR-S/BRZ for a real drive on a mountain road using the paddle shifters or stick shift, match revving and all just like a manual, minus the clutch, If you don't get back with a big ear to ear smile on your face. Something must be wrong with you. But I know you will be smiling. :happy0180:
Sorry i dont drive auto's i will be 80 years old banging gears now if the day comes where manuals are extinct...then a GTR type Tranny will be my only alternative...i like to drive my cars not the other way around....
Tbomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tbomb 25 For This Useful Post:
Grateful Dave (06-30-2012)
Old 06-30-2012, 12:27 AM   #179
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Canuck View Post
Wow! You have to be being deliberately obtuse for poops and giggles now. You said this:

How is what you are doing above in any way different?
You still have no idea what I am talking about

Again, not following you. Here let me break it down a little bit and maybe you will get what I was trying to convey.

It's your preferences and needs that should decide which car you will ultimately buy (said that right). The second quote was a comment on a persons "preferences" themselves. In essence if your preference is so broad to include a miata and a GT in the same sentence, it is my opinion that your preference isn't really a preference at all and seems more indecisive to me. It's not really narrowed down sorta speak. Is it wrong to be that broad, no. It's just my opinion that you are to broad and haven't really figured out what your needs are.

Kinda like if I asked what kind of woman you like and you described a nice petite woman, with an athletic build, can carry her self in a respectable manner, a lady in the streets and a freak in the bed. That would be your "type" of woman. Then presented you with pics to chose and they are all just like what you described, except some have blonde hair and some have brunette.

Vs.

You saying, I like them big and chunky, slim, tan, pale, brunette, blonde..it don't matter as long as she's a woman. That would be considered having "no" type or preference.

A lot of comments seem to be in that second scenario with the criteria being only that it cost roughly the same and it's RWD. I can't just take any woman, no more than I can just consider buying any car as long as it's RWD and cost is in the same range.

Some might call it the flip side I guess though, in that it's being rather picky. I think we spend enough on cars to be a little picky though

PS....No need to get serious. Relax a little. It's all good.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:29 AM   #180
SnapOv3st3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
A little exxagerated there. I factory ordered my 2013 v6 with performance package, security package, and pedestal spoiler and it was 24500 before tax. 400 dollars less than a msrp FR-S

Idk where the 28 came from with Performance pack alone. You can get a ones off the lot for cheaper. 28 is infact a fair easy to obtain off the lot price for a new GT

Perhaps that message would be better delivered to the video comparing the V6 with PP vs BRZ as in the vid they list the V6 + PP at $30k.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:34 AM   #181
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Quote:
Perhaps that message would be better delivered to the video comparing the V6 with PP vs BRZ as in the vid they list the V6 + PP at $30k.
That was a v6 Premium, leather seats, premium stereo, ford sync. Extra 4 grand on the price. In that i would agree. I would rather have a GT Mustang with cloth seats and normal stereo than have a v6 with leather.

titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #182
Tbomb 25
Balance over power...

Drives: 13 Hot Lava Frs, 88 Supra Turbo
Quote:

The only two things I have to say on that.

-The upgrades applied to it, only showed a marginal gain in performance over a Stock Twin, that could be made up in driving alone, or a set of better equipped tires. Not significant enough in my opinion.

I'm sure you won't agree with the second opinion, but that's why it's preceded with my, as in my opinion.

What was your opinion again on that? Don't feel like skipping back through pages.
I see your strictly a magazine racer by the book, a base V6 is 23k msrp after destination....you add the Performance Package for 2k that makes 25k...im sure you can understand it like this since it seems to be your language. Soooo....that puts it at the same price as the FRS but thats just MSRP which thats the lowest you can get the FRS for...so in reality that means about 23k for the Stang add the Recaros and tech pack thats the same as a FRS with whiteout and Bespoke. Ok did you follow that? The mag that you so religiously followed chose the premium model of the v6 mustang to make it like the FRS was cheaper...when thats not really true.
Tbomb 25 is offline   Reply With Quote