follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-14-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Let us know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
I am gonna find out soon enough lol
Keep us informed good sir.

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaden For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 07:40 PM   #16
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Keep us informed good sir.

Jaden
I have a joke of a build thread here somewhere I will put the numbers in there. If I can come up with some spare cash I will try and put it on for the 10psi base line sooner rather then later now that we need some science all up in here
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
Jaden (11-15-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 08:48 PM   #17
chaoscentral

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingPanda View Post
I've seen the new turbo kit. And size/style isn't the same. It's not a gtx3076r and never will be. Don't get me wrong. It's a fantastic kit for the money. But don't be fooled by 'includes a tune'. You should always always always get a custom tune for your car especially with f/I
The tune included is a custom remote tune with multiple revisions. So moot point on that again. I've been following it very closely and am part of their community on Facebook. Pretty sure I'll believe the multiple results of members of the community over some random guy on a forum. This isn't my first rodeo, before my FRS I had a supercharged Mustang GT, all the work done myself, I know what it takes when adding FI to an NA motor and getting it to run reliably. My buddies 600rwhp mustang agrees with me too. I appreciate trying to help but I am no noon when it comes to the modification game.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #18
BXRCHTR

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it very much. Like I said in the post, my GOAL is for 500hp I know that wont happen now but what do you guys recommend for an AT turbo setup? How much hp can I get for my stock engine/trans before I have to start building it? If I can even make 350whp with a little over 5k id be very happy. Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #19
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Buy a SBD turbo kit, run E85, you'll hit your 350whp. Go for it. Some questions for you though:

1) Why do you want 500hp?
2) Have you driven/been in an FR-S/BRZ with that level of power?
3) Do you do track events? Autocross? Drag racing?
4) Do you have enough money to repair your car just in case it breaks?

There are reasons why I ask
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:25 PM   #20
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
If you want to start small and work your way up, then it makes sense to go with something expandable, so you don't have to replace every single thing as you grow. There are a number of really nice kits in the vendor section.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Keep in mind that the price of the turbo kit is only the start. You'll need to think about tires that can support the power, wheels that can support the tires, brakes that can stop the additional power, a transmission cooler, maybe an oil cooler, air/oil separator, etc...

I'd probably go with the Full Blown stage 1 base kit and work up to a stage 1 premium kit. I base that on reading Full Blown's threads and reviews of owners. There are plenty of other good kits to look at though.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #21
BXRCHTR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Buy a SBD turbo kit, run E85, you'll hit your 350whp. Go for it. Some questions for you though:

1) Why do you want 500hp?
2) Have you driven/been in an FR-S/BRZ with that level of power?
3) Do you do track events? Autocross? Drag racing?
4) Do you have enough money to repair your car just in case it breaks?

There are reasons why I ask
1. Why not! jk
2. I have not driven a 86 with that power. Fastest I have been in was a 270hp FRS and it was fast but not fast enough. I think 300/350 would be a good entry FI start for this car until I get used to it.
3. I have tried drift events with my miata and once with the BRZ (not quite as fun with under 200 hp;/) I plan on taking her out on track days and I do drag race on the weekends
4. Yes and no. I have some money I can use to repair the car if she breaks, but I try not to think too much about that.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:26 PM   #22
Kiske

Drives: RX-7 / BRZ
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,081 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXRCHTR View Post
1. Why not! jk
2. I have not driven a 86 with that power. Fastest I have been in was a 270hp FRS and it was fast but not fast enough. I think 300/350 would be a good entry FI start for this car until I get used to it.
3. I have tried drift events with my miata and once with the BRZ (not quite as fun with under 200 hp;/) I plan on taking her out on track days and I do drag race on the weekends
4. Yes and no. I have some money I can use to repair the car if she breaks, but I try not to think too much about that.
1. Because your being cheap. Power = not cheap. :P
2. You'll always want more. Darkside problems.
3. If your dragging this car, turbo charged your budget just doubled.
4. You don't have enough money. When you get up there the car will sort of become a bit of a checklist. You can either keep up with the list of go slower.

My advice is to start with a good base kit. FBM, Ptuning, MAP, JDL. Buying shit multiple times is the quickest way to add stuff up. Also it makes zero since to me to buy a SBD kit and run e85, maxing it out for 350whp when most other kits will easily do 320-350whp on pump gas with still room to grow.

For example if you go with a base kit with a 57/60 trim turbo and a t4 flange and want to upgrade to a nice gtx with a v-band. Your now spending the money for the turbo, the money for a new downpipe and the money for a new manifold. Your upgrade is now an additional $2.5k - $3k. You'll then take a huge loss on selling your old part. Do it once and do it right. And even then expect shit to break, and to spend time diagnosing it. It doesn't happen overnight.

Lastly having a car that can make a 500whp dyno run and having a 500whp car that can be driven hard all day, every day is a huge difference. One your wallet will not enjoy.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:44 AM   #23
BXRCHTR

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiske View Post
1. Because your being cheap. Power = not cheap. :P
2. You'll always want more. Darkside problems.
3. If your dragging this car, turbo charged your budget just doubled.
4. You don't have enough money. When you get up there the car will sort of become a bit of a checklist. You can either keep up with the list of go slower.

My advice is to start with a good base kit. FBM, Ptuning, MAP, JDL. Buying shit multiple times is the quickest way to add stuff up. Also it makes zero since to me to buy a SBD kit and run e85, maxing it out for 350whp when most other kits will easily do 320-350whp on pump gas with still room to grow.

For example if you go with a base kit with a 57/60 trim turbo and a t4 flange and want to upgrade to a nice gtx with a v-band. Your now spending the money for the turbo, the money for a new downpipe and the money for a new manifold. Your upgrade is now an additional $2.5k - $3k. You'll then take a huge loss on selling your old part. Do it once and do it right. And even then expect shit to break, and to spend time diagnosing it. It doesn't happen overnight.

Lastly having a car that can make a 500whp dyno run and having a 500whp car that can be driven hard all day, every day is a huge difference. One your wallet will not enjoy.
So what do you recommend for a good base kit that has room to grow?
Old 11-15-2016, 03:44 AM   #24
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
1. Why not! jk
That's cool - reason I asked was, this is not a muscle car (as you know) and tuning it with a turbo to 500hp changes the character of the car slightly A 300 whp FR-S is pretty darned quick - the car is really oriented to track (not drag strip) type events, and at 500hp (even properly done) the car will be a handful, especially with the stock diff. You sound like you have a high power moded Miata, so if that's the case your experience will probably be similar. At 500ish hp expect various things to just break - this is a great platform but is still designed as a 'budget' platform, it's not really overbuilt. Godspeed!
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Bfranklyn86 (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 11:05 AM   #25
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
on e 85...

Quote:
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate it very much. Like I said in the post, my GOAL is for 500hp I know that wont happen now but what do you guys recommend for an AT turbo setup? How much hp can I get for my stock engine/trans before I have to start building it? If I can even make 350whp with a little over 5k id be very happy. Thanks again!
350 should be doable on E85, ~300 on pump...The auto is much better than the stock clutch at holding together and like I said, I've heard from people who have built the transmissions that the stock transmission with a good cooler is good for higher hp. I still have a spare trans though...

Jaden
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 AM   #26
Luftwaffel
Boost Creep

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm not hawking SBD parts but if you absolutely have to be cheap, get the SBD500X. That's literally why it has a 500 on it - because that's around what it'll support with supporting mods (E85, fueling, clutch, etc).

Really though, going into this with the mindset of being cheap isn't the right approach, because you're going to start breaking shit the same way we all start breaking shit.
Tedderple (11-15-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #27
Tedderple

Drives: 2015 FRS Halo (White)
Quote:
To reach 350whp from a stock power of around 160whp, almost any turbo kit out there will do. But you will need to run e85 or 93+ octane fuel (which is actually dependent on where you live because octane ratings are not the same everywhere)

For $5000, you will want to have some kind of turbo + port injector upgrade + capability to run ethanol or have 93/94 octane levels. I suggest finding a kit where you can replace the turbo so that you're more flexible with the build.

Sample:
Basics
SBD400X turbo kit $3000 or SBD500X $3500
Flex Fuel Kit $700
Injectors around 800-1000cc/min $500
Fuel Pump (might not be needed, around $200)
2.5" or 3" catback (price varies hugely)
Tune - Depends on who

Support (left up to you)
Oil Cooler
Transmission Cooler
Upgraded Rad
Depends how you're gonna drive it too. More power = more heat. The higher the heat, the higher chances of wear on the AT transmission.

There are also smaller stuff like gauges, sensor, boost controllers, etc.

The problem, again, with more power is the AT transmission slipping just because it can't lock up from the power. So you'll hit a wall somewhere around 330-370whp I think.

I'd suggest researching prices and learning more about supporting mods, have a price list estimate document in hand so you keep track of pricing. (Caution: Having this list may make you depressed seeing how much cash you're throwing into the car)

Personally, I'm going with an AVO turbo kit, with no catalytic converters. I also have flex fuel, and I'm also an AT transmission owner. Install is actually going to be happening somewhere between Nov 19 and Dec 3. On 94 octane chevron gas from Canada, I am expecting around 220whp. On USA92 octane, probably around 270-280whp. On E85, somewhere around 350whp would be the target. Note that Canadian gas octane levels are not the same as USA gas octane levels due to how they're rated. This USD CAD exchange is killing me.
AVO Turbo with FlexFuel| Perrin 2.75" CAI(gone) | Now: Perrin 3" Catback | MXP Comp RS Catback(gone) | Magnaflow Catback(gone) | Gruppe-S UEL Headers (gone) | 18x7.5 TE37 on Firehawk Indy500 225/40/18 | Valenti Tail Lights | Drift-Office Tuned 220whp-350whp
Tedderple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:40 PM   #28
Tedderple

Drives: 2015 FRS Halo (White)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
The auto trans on the twins is supposed to be good for quite a bit more than 250 lb ft with a good trans cooler.

Jaden
Oh my mistake, is the limitation the cooling? From what I've learned, its the torque converter clutch that starts slipping. Maybe an upgraded torque converter will remedy this? I saw SSP performance offer a $700 torque converter upgrade, not sure if that will help holding more power.
AVO Turbo with FlexFuel| Perrin 2.75" CAI(gone) | Now: Perrin 3" Catback | MXP Comp RS Catback(gone) | Magnaflow Catback(gone) | Gruppe-S UEL Headers (gone) | 18x7.5 TE37 on Firehawk Indy500 225/40/18 | Valenti Tail Lights | Drift-Office Tuned 220whp-350whp
Tedderple is offline   Reply With Quote