follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 05-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Revell

Drives: 2015 Hot Lava FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Team Hot Lava: member increase +1

Short Version:
Team Hot Lava has a new member.

Long Version:
I think it was around last November and I remember hearing a vehicle's horn outside. I go and look and it's my parents pulling up in a new sports car (they are in their 60's). I walk down to check it out and apparently dad bought a 2016 Mazda Miata MX-5 (with the Grand Touring Package). It is a beautiful car. My first car was a 1988 Mustang and I eventually gave that car to my sister when I bought a 1997 Ford Ranger. Ever since then, I have been a truck guy. Even now I would probably of bought one if they where still in production. None of the modern trucks really interest me so it was easy to start thinking about a smaller sports car. I loved the previous generation of the Mustang but this new refresh just isn't my taste.

I started checking out youtube video's of the MX-5 and stumbled on a video of a comparison between it and the BRZ. It was love at first sight (until I saw the FRS). I was still finishing my student teaching for my Elementary Education degree in the fall, but I already was thinking about the day when I would be able to buy an FRS. I then stumbled on this amazing website with a lot of great information on the car (this one). I have spent numerous hours just looking at pictures trying to figure out which color that i wanted. I have honestly considered each color, except ultramarine, as my favorite. Honestly this car does not come in a bad color. Needless to say I did graduate and finally was able to get all my certifications from the state back so I could actually work in the school system.

I started working as a full-time 3rd grade teacher at the beginning of April and of course we had the new refresh revealed that month. At first, I wasn't crazy about it like most people. If it was the only version of the car that I ever saw of the car, I'm sure I'd loved it, but I think that's how people are in general. I saw a post on here talking about FRS prices on autotrader so I keep my eye on it and recently saw a post about really low prices on cars.com. My plan was to wait till school ends for the summer to go take a roadtrip to buy the best deal on this car and just take what ever color it was (of course it being a manual is a given).

Well yesterday my dad, mom and me took our motorcycles out to get a good ride in. Round trip it would probably end up being a 220 mile trip. Half way thru our trip there was a Toyota/Scion dealership that I visited back in the winter to see their FRS stock (and see one in person). I was just going to check their prices and see if they had dropped their's any. As soon as I got off my motorcycle the salesman came walking over and said, "Didn't I help you before on these FRSs?" And yeah, he remembered helping me before. I told him honestly what I wanted and showed him on cars.com a new red FRS in Maryland for 22,800 and asked him if they would match it. He of course asked me if I was willing to buy it today, to which I said yes if you can match that price.

And they did. I bought that Hot Lava FRS for 22,800 with an out the door price of 24,400 (with 700 down and them adding on Xzilon green). I didn't have time to research Xzilon green so I may of got took for that 800 dollars, but I was going to have the Omni-coat put on it but with what research I did (wasn't very in depth) would have had to drive out of state to get it done.

Of course with us being on the motorcycles, I'll have to come back on Memorial Day to pick up the car. But, I'm totally excited to own this car.
I am going to tint the windows and in this area I'll have to change over to a all season tire (of course new rims too!) I do have a 4-wheel truck so I won't have to worry about driving the car in the winter.

I know that was a lot to read, I just wanted to share my experience and to stop lurking after the past 7 months. I look forward to researching various mods, learning what I can from everyone and just being a part of this really cool community.

Peace out,
Rev

Last edited by Revell; 05-29-2016 at 05:14 PM. Reason: 3rd grade teacher with bad Engrish
Revell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:25 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WELCOME to ...... The Forum ...........

A big thumbs up to your parents for staying young with an MX5 .....

Congratulations on your graduation and securing a teaching position .....

Have fun with your FR-S .......... and remember to stay far back from the parking stops ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
Revell

Thanks humfrz!

I appreciate the advice good Sir.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revell For This Useful Post:
humfrz (05-29-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,289 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2497 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revell View Post
Short Version:
Team Hot Lava has a new member.
Peace out,
Rev
Your Team Lava id, secret handshake instructions and decoder ring will be shipped immediately upon receipt of your annual dues payment of $500. Please pay through Paypal gift to TeamLava@Tcoat.com.

Nice choice and good lurking skills to last 7 months without saying anything.

Edit: And you should be a valuable asset to the Team since we can frequently use the skills of an elementary school teacher on here!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,853 Times in 3,677 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Great color choice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
Revell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Your Team Lava id, secret handshake instructions and decoder ring will be shipped immediately upon receipt of your annual dues payment of $500. Please pay through Paypal gift to TeamLava@Tcoat.com.
If I say "Wonder Twins powers activate!" will anything cool happen while wearing the decoder ring?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Edit: And you should be a valuable asset to the Team since we can frequently use the skills of an elementary school teacher on here!
I'll ask my kids in class to give me a list of 10 ways to respond to internet trolls and/or insults to use. That would knock my English grade and Spelling grade for the day out of the way. Win-Win Situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Revell For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-29-2016)