follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-08-2015, 09:21 PM   #15
dnieves

Drives: FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
I've come to the conclusion that if this happened to me I would not buy an FR-S again. Fantastic car, I will miss it if it ever leaves me and I have no intention of selling it but I want to try something different. You have a golden opportunity OP, go explore your options, more powerful hot hatches, pony cars, S2000, the new Miata is badass along with WRX (although maybe out of your price range) or any number of fantasy cars in the price range that struck your fancy (older Porsche, some classic sports car from the 90's, 80's hell even 60's and 70's or 50's). Hopefully you can borrow a car for a few weeks or insurance provides a free rental or something so you can take your time deciding what you want. There is without a doubt though, nothing like the 86 available so I totally understand this car being the 'perfect match'.

You're sitting on ~$16.3k, if you decide you really want an FR-S/BRZ again I would keep an eye on the classifieds here and fly out to the one that is closest to what you want (color, transmission, options), there are usually 3-4 available for less than $19k (I even think there are 2 under $17k last I checked) and assuming the car is good drive it back home, a nice roadtrip to familiarize yourself with your new buddy.

I'm pretty sure I'd buy another FR-S 2016+ only if they offered another special edition version with all the bells and whistles like the 10 Series/Monogram/RS1.0 (but not yellow).
dnieves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:24 PM   #16
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
For what it's worth, I'd probably buy another one if I lost mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Buy Gap insurance on the next one......
He didn't need it on this one. He owed less than $3K on it because he financed very little of it to begin with. GAP insurance would have been a waste of money for him.

You need GAP insurance if you are financing enough of the purchase price that you'll be upside down on the loan at some point. He had so much equity in the car from the very beginning that it was virtually impossible for him to ever be upside down on that loan.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (07-08-2015), strat61caster (07-08-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 PM   #17
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Garage
RS1 cost about 30k... and its yellewwwwww. would jump on it if it was 10k cheaper lol. BTW i will be selling a few things from my frs. Still have brand new white sidemarkers, new rain visor, new winjet fogligth assembly with switches and interior mount, and a u used advance keys pushbutton/remote start.
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:41 PM   #18
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Buy whatever you want, new twin, used twin, another car...whatever.. Why anyone would ask a bunch of strangers is beyond me. If you want mo' powah get a "Stang. Or just spend the money on hookers and blow and buy a used shitbox. Thats my default choice. Dont blame me if you get herpes.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.

Last edited by wbradley; 07-09-2015 at 12:26 AM.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
iamdaspoon (07-10-2015), Tcoat (07-09-2015)
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #19
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Or just spend the money on hookers and blow and buy a used shitbox. Thats my default choice. Done blame me if you get herpes.
So many hookers you can buy with that money. And nice ones, not the diseased ones around the corner!

Anyways, I'd buy a Twin again if this happened to me.
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:03 AM   #20
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidMomentum View Post
The 6 Speed A/T Camry is no joke. Comfortable and a smooth ride.

Sure you won't win any races with it, but if I had to pick a responsible sedan it would've been my choice.
Not sure if serious The v6 is faster than the twins.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 AM   #21
LucidMomentum
No Money, No Problems

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S (Halo White)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Not sure if serious The v6 is faster than the twins.
Shhhhh.... if they find out the MSRP of the Camry will increase...
Old 07-09-2015, 12:24 AM   #22
BlackJesus
Shut up baby, I know it

Drives: 2013 BRZ DMG
Garage
Can't really buy hookers atm. Not really a free man. Drugs are a meh for me.. only thing rhat get me high is the thrill of a nice ride.. have anyone own a 335i? Twin turbo with a decent interior. Worried about issues down the road. Just asking people for their opinion about cars. Don't want to jump the gun and get a car that I'll have to stick with for the next 4 years. Love the frs for it's uniqueness and handle but hate it for the dang crickets and torque. Anyone here own a genesis coupe before? Haven't test driven one since I don't have any mode of transportation. Come on folks... BlackJesus always got your back. Remember all the sins yall commited? He died for yall sins..
BlackJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:25 AM   #23
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulreapersteve View Post
So many hookers you can buy with that money. And nice ones, not the diseased ones around the corner!

Anyways, I'd buy a Twin again if this happened to me.
Maybe he likes them dirty.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:28 AM   #24
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJesus View Post
Can't really buy hookers atm. Not really a free man. Drugs are a meh for me.. only thing rhat get me high is the thrill of a nice ride.. have anyone own a 335i? Twin turbo with a decent interior. Worried about issues down the road. Just asking people for their opinion about cars. Don't want to jump the gun and get a car that I'll have to stick with for the next 4 years. Love the frs for it's uniqueness and handle but hate it for the dang crickets and torque. Anyone here own a genesis coupe before? Haven't test driven one since I don't have any mode of transportation. Come on folks... BlackJesus always got your back. Remember all the sins yall commited? He died for yall sins..
Genesis coupe and a ton shitload of Kpop music from iTunes. Do it.
Ne'er mind the Jesus stuff, convert to Judaism lol
Old 07-09-2015, 01:02 AM   #25
Higher Being

Drives: 2014 Asphalt Grey FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Id consider a 2.0t genesis. Lots of modding potential, and most of the issues ive heard about them have been resolved from aftermarket/oem solutions from what i understand.

Id also consider a g35. For some reason they arent the most popular platform but the few owners ive talked too seem to really love them and they are fairly reliable to boot.

Also maybe even a slightly older lexus GS/LS/IS? Maybe a Civic Si?

You got some money to play with so consider all your options.
Higher Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 01:59 AM   #26
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'd get that Miata ND
Old 07-09-2015, 02:05 AM   #27
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
All things considered if lost my frs I would buy a used GS350.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fitcious For This Useful Post:
1GiantTurtle (07-12-2015)
Old 07-09-2015, 02:29 AM   #28
Mim

Drives: MY11 Maxima 350st, MY15 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Having owned my BRZ now, for 8 months or so, I'd honestly be happy to buy another. I can't speak for the older gen ones, but the MY15 has enough of all the bells and whistles, rides surprisingly smoothly (for such a low and handling focused car) and still makes me all giddy and excited to climb into on the drive to work each day. No car is perfect, but nothing else (for me) really comes close to licking so many of the boxes that are important (again to me).

Also if you list out all the things you wish the FRS had, would a higher spec'd model have been a better fit in the long term?

Is there any chance you can rent any of the cars you are looking at, just to get a better feel for whether they are a better click for you?
MY15 CWP A/T BRZ | Leather heated seats | STI CAI filter, A/T leather shifter, strut brace, V-brace, draw stiffener, battery tie down, Radiator cap, Oil cap, push start button | TRD door stabilizer | YoSpeed STI console garnish | Pioneer AVIC-F70DAB + Rev-camera, TS-WX710A sub | JL speakers, Amp | TOMS' Clear Brake Lights | Cusco 4.556 FD | Driveshaft Shop aluminum shaft | Tein FlexZ, EDFC AP+GPS | Crawford BPB
Mim is offline   Reply With Quote