follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 PM   #99
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM View Post
IT WORKS! THAT TORQUE IS FINALLY BACK!

I tapped it into the copper lead instead of the insulated one and I could instantly feel the power. Woohoo!! Thank you car lords

There aren't any good open roads near me to test this yet, but I could feel that wheelspin turning corners in these city blocks (sports map).

For future reference, what should I have set my voltmeter to? (I'm pointing to the mode I used that displayed 5v for the wrong ESC lead):

Be careful with the sport map. As for the setting 12v green side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
TM (06-04-2015)
Old 06-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #100
TM

Drives: DGM BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Thanks again, @Sojhinn, for all your help!
Old 06-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #101
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Thanks again, @Sojhinn, for all your help!

No worries bro. It's been killing me that you haven't had your esc working. It almost seems I'm getting paid but I'm not.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 06-04-2015, 08:34 PM   #102
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Also @TM let me know what you think of the tune.

Installed Mods:
Old 06-06-2015, 03:42 AM   #103
TM

Garage
I don't drive as often now and there aren't really any back roads here, but I've driven for the past 2 days with the sports map. Mostly city streets with a tad bit of highway. I do agree that the sports map kicks in pretty aggressively and suddenly. Almost like I still had the WOT on/off switch, but only at partial throttle now (instead of the smooth linear increase in torque or "bigger liter engine" feel that I was expecting from the variable boost).

There are a lot of hills in these city blocks, so I kind of wish the partial boost would kick in sooner (but less boost) so I can ease in the throttle pedal while still getting more power instead of stomping on it to activate boost.

Next, I'll try the standard map. And then @Sojhinn's custom map.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:08 PM   #104
TM

Garage
Update: Loaded the Standard Map and drove to the gym and back (30 minutes each way, city streets). I like this map WAY better. The ESC doesn't kick in as suddenly. Overall, it feels more smooth. Didn't get a chance to go onto the highway, since there was a ton of traffic, but it felt great accelerating up the hills locally. I was LOVING it the entire drive to and back from the gym.

But now that I'm home and I have some time to reflect on it, I did realize that the ESC kicks in a bit late. It'd be nice if it engages sooner, but still keeping the smoothness. I guess this is pretty much the same as @l0aded's experience.

@Sojhinn, I'm going to try your revision2 map next. It seems like the good middle ground to what I'm looking for as well. I'm a bit confused on whether it's for 91 or e85, though. Is it safe for 91?
Old 06-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #105
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Update: Loaded the Standard Map and drove to the gym and back (30 minutes each way, city streets). I like this map WAY better. The ESC doesn't kick in as suddenly. Overall, it feels more smooth. Didn't get a chance to go onto the highway, since there was a ton of traffic, but it felt great accelerating up the hills locally. I was LOVING it the entire drive to and back from the gym.

But now that I'm home and I have some time to reflect on it, I did realize that the ESC kicks in a bit late. It'd be nice if it engages sooner, but still keeping the smoothness. I guess this is pretty much the same as @l0aded's experience.

@Sojhinn, I'm going to try your revision2 map next. It seems like the good middle ground to what I'm looking for as well. I'm a bit confused on whether it's for 91 or e85, though. Is it safe for 91?

I've been running it on 91 and e85. It felt good either way.

Installed Mods:
Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 AM   #106
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Garage
@Sojhinn and everyone else

FINALLY upgraded my controller to the @Shiv@Openflash 's Procede controller with @Sojhinn's V2 throttle map running e85 (thanks for the instruction video and map work Sojhinn, huge help).

Man does the car pull hard in the mid-range. Smooth too. The torque is addicting. According to @WRB5titch (who gave a lot of help with the install (TYTY) the map feels more refined than the v1 version. All I know is that I was able to flick off and on the throttle at 80+ mph in 5th gear and the car felt totally natural. I did run into one weird issue where I stalled the car in 1st gear and the compressor remained on until I turned the key all the way to the "off" position. Will need to re-test to see if I can recreate the event. Also thanks to @l0aded for posting about his install which really helped get things squared away for me.

That being said, the Procede is a very nice upgrade. Not totally necessary as @Robftss has put together a very well polished kit with the PTS. I loved that too. Still, the Procede essentially gives the car full time Phantom ESC F.I. which is fantastic. Now I can personally put system longevity, heat management, and driving impressions/throttle maps to the test. Great developments all the way around.

Last edited by DAEMANO; 06-08-2015 at 03:00 AM.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
Gums (06-08-2015), Sojhinn (06-08-2015), WRB5titch (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 02:59 AM   #107
WRB5titch

Drives: WRBrz
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Just switched over rev2 map. Definitely feels better than rev1. Loving it on e85! Haven't tried it on 91 yet, but I'm sure that'll be a blast too.

GJ @Sojhinn!
Sojhinn (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #108
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

PROcede ESC User Software!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRB5titch View Post
Just switched over rev2 map. Definitely feels better than rev1. Loving it on e85! Haven't tried it on 91 yet, but I'm sure that'll be a blast too.

GJ @Sojhinn!

Thanks bro! Yeah the few modifications I did made a huge difference in my opinion.
@DAEMANO did the stall occur after a restart? Or did the esc activate before the stall?

Installed Mods:
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (06-11-2015)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #109
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

@TM waiting for your review eagerly

Installed Mods:
Old 06-11-2015, 03:19 AM   #110
TM

Garage
I've been using @Sojhinn's map all day today.

And this thing is...

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!

The torque is very addicting now. I kept easing in the throttle to feel the extra torque slowly come in. This map is VERY refined compared to the OTS standard and sports map.

This should be the new standard map in my opinion. Awesome job, @Sojhinn!

It accelerates very naturally now. Really does feel like I have a bigger engine.

There is one thing about this controller that still feels binary (on/off). It's the decelerating. While activating partial/full boost, I have to ease off the throttle very slowly for my car to decelerate smoothly. If I let go of my throttle at my usual pace, my car will jerk from the sudden loss in boost/power. Maybe it's just the momentum moving forward from the sudden deceleration and just exemplified (is this the right word?) from the extra torque, but I never really felt this kind of "jerk" while letting go of the throttle without the ESC. Maybe the procede controller can be programmed to ease out of the boost when throttle position suddenly becomes 0% as opposed to stopping it completely instantly?

P.S. I was averaging around 26-29mpg mixed city/highway in NY. Average 31-34mpg on my cross country roadtrip. Just emptied my first tank in SF with the procede controller. 17mpg. I've been testing the sh*t out of this new controller
Old 06-11-2015, 03:31 AM   #111
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
Thanks bro! Yeah the few modifications I did made a huge difference in my opinion.
@DAEMANO did the stall occur after a restart? Or did the esc activate before the stall?

I tested it out again tonight. The stall is at idle in 1st gear with the clutch being let go. Basic first gear stall, and the compressor stays on after the car shuts off. I have to turn the key to the off position to get it to shut off. Interesting, right? Can you test yours to see if it does the same?
Old 06-11-2015, 03:34 AM   #112
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
I've been using @Sojhinn's map all day today.

And this thing is...

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTH!!

The torque is very addicting now. I kept easing in the throttle to feel the extra torque slowly come in. This map is VERY refined compared to the OTS standard and sports map.

This should be the new standard map in my opinion. Awesome job, @Sojhinn!

It accelerates very naturally now. Really does feel like I have a bigger engine.

There is one thing about this controller that still feels binary (on/off). It's the decelerating. While activating partial/full boost, I have to ease off the throttle very slowly for my car to decelerate smoothly. If I let go of my throttle at my usual pace, my car will jerk from the sudden loss in boost/power. Maybe it's just the momentum moving forward from the sudden deceleration and just exemplified (is this the right word?) from the extra torque, but I never really felt this kind of "jerk" while letting go of the throttle without the ESC. Maybe the procede controller can be programmed to ease out of the boost when throttle position suddenly becomes 0% as opposed to stopping it completely instantly?

P.S. I was averaging around 26-29mpg mixed city/highway in NY. Average 31-34mpg on my cross country roadtrip. Just emptied my first tank in SF with the procede controller. 17mpg. I've been testing the sh*t out of this new controller
Great review. I feel pretty much the same way about it. Sojhinn did a great job too. If you get a chance ever, run the car on e85. The extra power is EPIC.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
raven1231 (06-11-2015)