follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2015, 04:36 AM   #1
Diz86x

Drives: GT86 Nur spec
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best exhaust with great power gains..

Hey there,
I've been surfing the internet for a while and found quite interesting exhaust systems. i just wanted to know which exhaust type gives you the most performance gain..

please help me and thank you.
Diz86x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:49 AM   #2
rlpaul

Drives: point A to point C. Screw point B!
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This some variables in here that we need to determine which is the best suited.

Do you want dual tip exhaust? How loud do you want the car to be? Are you looking at just cat-back, or want to go full header-back?
rlpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
pl1ght

Drives: 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C
Start with the Headers, and work your way back. Biggest gains to be had there. You arent going to get much catback alone. Of course, like previous poster said, what are your actual goals with the car?
pl1ght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
One with a turbo in it
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZZZZZZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
jonbonazza (01-17-2015)
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 PM   #5
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
The most performance gain will come from catless manifold. Then a catless front pipe/mid pipe then a 2.5in catback assuming you dont have a turbo and/or wont be getting one.

Youll see the best gains with a tune so get one.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #6
Diz86x

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpaul View Post
This some variables in here that we need to determine which is the best suited.

Do you want dual tip exhaust? How loud do you want the car to be? Are you looking at just cat-back, or want to go full header-back?
A dual tip would be great, not too loud but with great torque and hp gains
Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #7
Diz86x

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1ght View Post
Start with the Headers, and work your way back. Biggest gains to be had there. You arent going to get much catback alone. Of course, like previous poster said, what are your actual goals with the car?
I use the car as a daily use vehicle and i dont want the cops after me so something abit loud and with great performance would be good, and im not planning to change the oem headers.
Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM   #8
Diz86x

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrazic93 View Post
The most performance gain will come from catless manifold. Then a catless front pipe/mid pipe then a 2.5in catback assuming you dont have a turbo and/or wont be getting one.

Youll see the best gains with a tune so get one.
Any specific exhaust manufacture in mind?
Old 01-17-2015, 05:37 PM   #9
aznatama

Drives: 2014 BRZ MT (Sold); 2006 V70R
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
header w/ free flow cat, catless front pipe, stock catback + tune will net you the best gains while staying rather stealth in the sound department.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:38 PM   #10
KoolBRZ

Drives: Silver 2013 BRZ Ltd Auto 45,000 mi
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diz86x View Post
I have dyno tests showing 178 HP 168 ft/lbs torque with a $333 TOP SPEED PRO-1 Performance Header Straight Flex Pipe, a $380 TOP SPEED PRO-1 Rear Exhaust Axle-back Exhaust System, and a $100 TOP SPEED PRO-1 Race Spec Over Pipe.

This was with stock mid and front pipes, a $349 Skunk2 powerbox intake, an OFT stage 2 UEL 91 octane tune, and a custom MAF scale. This is an A/T that normally dynos at about 157 HP and 135 ft/lbs of torque with all stock components. Once I get my 4.875 FD installed I expect to dyno test over 200 HP and 190 ft/lbs of torque with the added 19% mechanical advantage of a 4.875 FD.

With the mechanical advantage a M/T car has, this setup could easily do over 180 HP and over 170 ft/lbs of torque, NA. Add a supercharger on top and you'll need a pilot's license just to drive it.
KoolBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,594 Times in 2,933 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
I use the car as a daily use vehicle and i dont want the cops after me so something abit loud and with great performance would be good, and im not planning to change the oem headers.
If you're not going to change the headers, you might as well get a catback of your liking and then get a supercharger that is CARB certified. End o' story.
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #12
jonbonazza

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
You will not really see any whp gain from a catback, period, in these cars. The catbacks are for really just for looks/sound and some of them will even drop some weight. With that said, many of the catbacks on the market will actually act to increase drag depending on the shape/style. Since you daily the car only, you will not notice any of these factors, however, so just get the one that looks and sounds the best to you.

As mentioned before, a header + tune is the first mod you should do. Since it is a daily driver, I would go with a UEL option. UEL won't make as much power up top, but will give a bit more power in the low to mid range and also relieve the torque dip giving a more fun feeling on the streets. If and only if you can get away with it, get rid of the header cat. This will free up even more power. If you have to deal with smog, though, and don't have a connection, you will want to get a header with a high flow cat.

With just a header, alone though, you won't be that much better off, if at all. To really bring the car to life, get a tune. Since you will have the header off anyway, I also recommend changing out the overpipe at the same time. They are relatively inexpensive, so it's am easy way to free up a little more power.

Next on the list should be your front pipe. There are a number of options for this and most are pretty much the same. For street only use, I would recommend staying away from titanium options. They are more brittle and will sound much louder and even sound like complete shit if you stick with the stock cat back. Again, if and only if you can get away with it, you should go with a uncatted option.

As I mentioned at the beginning, if power is your concern, the catback should be the last piece to complete the setup since it will do nothing for you. As with the FP, for a streetable setup, go with a quieter option (especially if you removed even one of the cats) such as the Greddy SP Elite or Invidia q300.
jonbonazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jonbonazza For This Useful Post:
DonkeyTypeR (06-30-2021)
Old 01-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #13
Stealthy

Drives: 2014 WRB Bravo Romeo Zulu
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Then you won't get power gains.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #14
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm biased to Corsa, but with any exhaust make sure you get resonators. It will atleast reduce rasp, the only way to keep it not so loud would be to add cats.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote