follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #15
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Also, I've got to ask the OP... and this is 9TRULY out of curiosity, and not an attack.
There are a LOT of grammatical.. ummm.. idiosyncrasies in your post. Is that due to a spoken word transcription app, English is not your native language, or some other reason?

Last edited by MuseChaser; 02-24-2019 at 09:23 AM.
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:55 PM   #16
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Oh, my, why are we pounding on the OP?

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 11:58 PM   #17
FRSBRZ86Help

Drives: Nissan Alt 08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Just curious... if you're looking for a car "with some looks to make my drive a little more interesting"... how do you see what your car looks like while you're driving it? I can barely see a little bit of the hood, and that's about it. If you're asking if we think the 86 would be a good car for you to please other people and make them think you're driving a cool car, I have no idea... mostly because I don't care in the least about stuff like that.

If you're "someone’s that is always on top of maintenance with a car," then pretty much any car will last a very long time. The 86 is no worse than any other car in terms of longevity when cared for, and probably better than most.

You just had to "pay a couple thousands" to have your '05 Corolla fixed, which could indicate a couple things; you did NOT keep on top of the maintenance, some typical stuff all happened at the same time (worn struts/suspension components, brake calipers, rusted fuel or brake lines, A/C issues.. all stuff that would happen to any car that age), and/or you have no interest in or unable to do basic-to-intermediate mechanical work on your own. A new anything, 86 or otherwise, will not be immune to those things eventually, and, if you buy one, you'll be out another approximately $20K for the purchase on top of whatever repairs you incur. Trying to justify a newer car for solely cost-saving measures is a pretty impossible task.

If you hate your current car and you have the money, buy another one. You don't need us for that. If you're here to ask a bunch of folks on an 86 enthusiast forum if we like the 86, well... ummm.... yes? We do?
I wouldn’t say I wasn’t on top of maintenance but personally the car is old and my parents bought it from a auction and for the price they got it for it was really you get what you pay for. I do understand that buying a newer car for solely saving is impossible. But basically for me to get a newer car like the 86 buying it will be a fresh new start and is it really overall just reliable. Because I heard a lot of stuff like “oh it’s a terrible car” “it’s trash” “the engine trash” “those cars are unreliable” many people bash the car so much as if it’s not capable of running for a long period of time. I just want to know the true purpose is it reliable. Because I don’t play to get another car for a while after I get the 86.
FRSBRZ86Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:00 AM   #18
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Yes it's one of the most reliable cars currently on the market.

What helps reliability is the fact it's actually made in Japan.

Suggest you consider the Subaru BRZ, same car, and in my opinion, better looks, including interior look.

Check out the exterior and interior of both the 86 and the BRZ in person, decide which you prefer.

Pay attention to the different available models and features. They differ 86 vs BRZ.

It's getting more difficult than ever before to sort out between models and available features at extra cost, on either car.

Take your time.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 02-24-2019 at 12:25 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:31 AM   #19
FRSBRZ86Help

Drives: Nissan Alt 08
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
Yes it's one of the most reliable cars currently on the market.

What helps reliability is the fact it's actually made in Japan.

Suggest you consider the Subaru BRZ, same car, and in my opinion, better looks, including interior look.

Check out the exterior and interior of both the 86 and the BRZ in person, decide which you prefer.

Pay attention to the different available models and features. They differ 86 vs BRZ.

It's getting more difficult than ever before to sort out between models and available features at extra cost, on either car.

Take your time.
Thanks been doing research on this car for almost 2 months.
FRSBRZ86Help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 03:03 AM   #20
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZ86Help View Post
I wouldn’t say I wasn’t on top of maintenance but personally the car is old and my parents bought it from a auction and for the price they got it for it was really you get what you pay for. I do understand that buying a newer car for solely saving is impossible. But basically for me to get a newer car like the 86 buying it will be a fresh new start and is it really overall just reliable. Because I heard a lot of stuff like “oh it’s a terrible car” “it’s trash” “the engine trash” “those cars are unreliable” many people bash the car so much as if it’s not capable of running for a long period of time. I just want to know the true purpose is it reliable. Because I don’t play to get another car for a while after I get the 86.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZ86Help View Post
Thanks been doing research on this car for almost 2 months.
I suggest a bit more research if that's what you saw online. I would talk to legitimate owners not get hearsay. For me my 2015 has been quite reliable and has 45k+ miles. I've just kept well on top of recommended maintenance and then some.

Also when posting work on your grammar and typing skills a bit, it looks like a run on and spam bot type deal when its typed up like your post was.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRSBRZGT86FAN For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 03:59 AM   #21
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
LOL, Grammar and typing skills, is this a car forum or I went to university and you dont speak good like me forum.

I deal with alot of people who have a limited education, but, I trust them more than, enlightened and educated people who love to critique others.

My experience with Subaru is they are reliable and aftersales service is good, ditto for Toyota.

But, in the end, everything can break, even the best kit, sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

My 86, well its NA and I thrash the guts out of it everyday, it has never missed a beat, only additional outlay was for aftermarket parts to customize or improve and servicing.

My only other imput would be if you purchase used, you get a full service history, poorly serviced vehicles are a big no no.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
Jayzl (02-24-2019), Jordanwolf (06-27-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
My only other imput would be if you purchase used, you get a full service history. Poorly-serviced vehicles are a big no-no.
-5 spelling & punctuation
Old 02-24-2019, 03:10 PM   #23
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
-5 spelling & punctuation
Yeap, that's a war stopper.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #24
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeap, that's a war stopper.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSdxqIBfEAw[/ame]
Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #25
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL, Grammar and typing skills, is this a car forum or I went to university and you dont speak good like me forum.

I deal with alot of people who have a limited education, but, I trust them more than, enlightened and educated people who love to critique others.
We were being honest

It's not really critiquing, the problem is when 3 or 4 people say it looks like a spam bot and it takes more effort to follow
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #26
etherdude

Drives: 2020 Hakone Edition, 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I might have a bit of a different point of view than some. My 2015 FR-S is my daily driver here in greater Boston area. In 4 1/2 years, I have put 60K miles on my FR-S. I do not track, drift, or auto-x my FR-S even though I drive it briskly almost every day. I haven't modded my vehicle at all. I have stayed with straight, scheduled dealer service. Other than tire choice, mine is stock (after having reverted back from TRD exhaust and intake for the first 30,000 miles) I like to use it for solo long trips and the aftermarket exhaust was just too loud.

I love driving it and get great satisfaction that it gets me where I want to go every day. I am a musician who plays large brass instruments. I am also librarian and treasurer for a 30 piece brass band and have to carry boxes of music and CD's frequently to concerts. So the fact that the trunk is decent sized and the storage space with the seat down is really VERY good is a big plus and a major reason why I cannot replace it with a Miata or maybe even a Supra.

In the summer I use 215/45-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the stock wheels. They ride better, handle much better are a bit quieter than the stock Bridgestone tires. In the winter, I use 205/50-16 Blizzak WS-80s on 16" wheels. Aside from ground clearance, I have NO issues whatsoever driving in crappy snowy conditions.

The most important option I have purchased for my FR-S is the Toyota brand aftermarket center armrest. The big "hole" in the center console just didn't work for me on trips. Other options include an aftermarket shift knob (big white cue-ball round thing), factory GPS (eh...), Weathertechs, factory rear spoiler.

SO I find that MOST of the time, my FR-S is every bit as utilitarian as my 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed that it replaced but is vastly more satisfying to drive. I would much rather drive my FR-S in almost any situation than my wife's 2011 Camry or the 2018 RAV-4 Hybrid that replaced the Camry. Clearly there are space limitations in the FR-S when dealing with more than 2 passengers or trying to transport large boxes, etc. After all it is a SPORTS CAR.

What the FR-S is NOT...
  • The FR-S/86 is not a GT/Touring car, it is a SPORTS CAR. Even though it is a coupe and not a roadster, the ride and general noise level will put many off. It is relatively loud even with the stock exhaust. You get significant tire noise no matter what kind of tires you use. You "feel" the pavement, even with the stock suspension.
  • The 86 is not a muscle car. I find the performance adequate for any driving that I do in my 6 speed manual version. I would probably be disappointed if I had purchased the automatic. In the 7+ year lifespan of the model, the constant complaint is MORE POWER.
  • The 86 is not a family car. The idea of putting even a small kid in the back seat is at best, a pain in the back. I suspect that many young couples who purchased an FR-S/BRZ/86 over the last 7+ years as family transportation, found that it had to be replaced (or augmented) when the first child arrived.

What the FR-S IS...
  • A Hell of a lot of fun.
  • The most engaging car I have ever owned (I am 67 years old).
  • A great choice for empty nesters like my wife and I. Especially since we have a "family" car for situations where needed.
  • And for me over 60,000 miles so far, it has been reliable.

Doug
etherdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to etherdude For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (06-23-2019), FRSBRZGT86FAN (02-24-2019), Hoahao (02-26-2019), humfrz (02-24-2019), Impureclient (02-24-2019), Koa (02-25-2019), mgarcia707 (02-25-2019), Myriad (02-26-2019), Pekingduck (02-24-2019), Spuds (02-26-2019), ToySub1946 (02-24-2019), Ultramaroon (02-24-2019), xdavidx (03-06-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 05:21 PM   #27
86MLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherdude View Post
I might have a bit of a different point of view than some. My 2015 FR-S is my daily driver here in greater Boston area. In 4 1/2 years, I have put 60K miles on my FR-S. I do not track, drift, or auto-x my FR-S even though I drive it briskly almost every day. I haven't modded my vehicle at all. I have stayed with straight, scheduled dealer service. Other than tire choice, mine is stock (after having reverted back from TRD exhaust and intake for the first 30,000 miles) I like to use it for solo long trips and the aftermarket exhaust was just too loud.

I love driving it and get great satisfaction that it gets me where I want to go every day. I am a musician who plays large brass instruments. I am also librarian and treasurer for a 30 piece brass band and have to carry boxes of music and CD's frequently to concerts. So the fact that the trunk is decent sized and the storage space with the seat down is really VERY good is a big plus and a major reason why I cannot replace it with a Miata or maybe even a Supra.

In the summer I use 215/45-17 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the stock wheels. They ride better, handle much better are a bit quieter than the stock Bridgestone tires. In the winter, I use 205/50-16 Blizzak WS-80s on 16" wheels. Aside from ground clearance, I have NO issues whatsoever driving in crappy snowy conditions.

The most important option I have purchased for my FR-S is the Toyota brand aftermarket center armrest. The big "hole" in the center console just didn't work for me on trips. Other options include an aftermarket shift knob (big white cue-ball round thing), factory GPS (eh...), Weathertechs, factory rear spoiler.

SO I find that MOST of the time, my FR-S is every bit as utilitarian as my 2012 Yaris SE 5-speed that it replaced but is vastly more satisfying to drive. I would much rather drive my FR-S in almost any situation than my wife's 2011 Camry or the 2018 RAV-4 Hybrid that replaced the Camry. Clearly there are space limitations in the FR-S when dealing with more than 2 passengers or trying to transport large boxes, etc. After all it is a SPORTS CAR.

What the FR-S is NOT...
  • The FR-S/86 is not a GT/Touring car, it is a SPORTS CAR. Even though it is a coupe and not a roadster, the ride and general noise level will put many off. It is relatively loud even with the stock exhaust. You get significant tire noise no matter what kind of tires you use. You "feel" the pavement, even with the stock suspension.
  • The 86 is not a muscle car. I find the performance adequate for any driving that I do in my 6 speed manual version. I would probably be disappointed if I had purchased the automatic. In the 7+ year lifespan of the model, the constant complaint is MORE POWER.
  • The 86 is not a family car. The idea of putting even a small kid in the back seat is at best, a pain in the back. I suspect that many young couples who purchased an FR-S/BRZ/86 over the last 7+ years as family transportation, found that it had to be replaced (or augmented) when the first child arrived.

What the FR-S IS...
  • A Hell of a lot of fun.
  • The most engaging car I have ever owned (I am 67 years old).
  • A great choice for empty nesters like my wife and I. Especially since we have a "family" car for situations where needed.
  • And for me over 60,000 miles so far, it has been reliable.

Doug
Excellent review.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 PM   #28
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
It's a reasonably reliable car. It looks good and drives fast. Why not?
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote