follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #771
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
The HKS is probably the best looking SC kit. Was not an easy decision not to go that route.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (03-01-2018)
Old 03-03-2018, 06:28 PM   #772
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
The V1 setup is probably the least pretty and the most raw with the mushroom intake.

Mine has the intake restrictor deleted and an oversized intercooler. In fact there is no space for an oil cooler, so it is behind the intercooler.

Will be looking to purchase new oil lines, AN fittings and thermostatic sandwich plate this year.
Attached Images

5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wbradley For This Useful Post:
RSKYBZ (03-07-2018), weederr33 (03-03-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #773
Kylebrz

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
so for anyone that has a hks v3 kit or even any other hks kits make sure your diverter valve is working perfect cause i have traced my failed supercharger to that.
it wasn't opening all the way! turns out the diaphragm had a little tiny crack in the rubber causing a small vacuum leak that wouldn't allow it to open all the way!!!
it must have been like this a few months after i got the kit new. anyways if the valve doesn't open all the way it causes the compressor to surge and put a ton of stress on the charger and in the end the annulus will strip out! and then bam fucked!.
so one way to know its not working properly is to pull the hose that is attached to the intake off and see if the diverter valve is open full on idle!.
should be blowing air out like a leaf blower. and another tell tale sign is you will hear a flutter sound. I'm just letting everyone on here know thats what my failure was cause by and as of now i have heard 3 other kits with the valve issue and also in the end a stripped annulus. its a easy fix i just bought a bicycle inner tube patch kit and used the vulcanizing cement to seal it back up.
car is running a 100 times better and will keep an eye on this issue.
Kylebrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
RSKYBZ (03-07-2018), wbradley (03-05-2018), weederr33 (03-07-2018), Yobiwan (03-05-2018), zeal86 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #774
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylebrz View Post
so for anyone that has a hks v3 kit or even any other hks kits make sure your diverter valve is working perfect cause i have traced my failed supercharger to that.
it wasn't opening all the way! turns out the diaphragm had a little tiny crack in the rubber causing a small vacuum leak that wouldn't allow it to open all the way!!!
it must have been like this a few months after i got the kit new. anyways if the valve doesn't open all the way it causes the compressor to surge and put a ton of stress on the charger and in the end the annulus will strip out! and then bam fucked!.
so one way to know its not working properly is to pull the hose that is attached to the intake off and see if the diverter valve is open full on idle!.
should be blowing air out like a leaf blower. and another tell tale sign is you will hear a flutter sound. I'm just letting everyone on here know thats what my failure was cause by and as of now i have heard 3 other kits with the valve issue and also in the end a stripped annulus. its a easy fix i just bought a bicycle inner tube patch kit and used the vulcanizing cement to seal it back up.
Here are some pics of what it looks like now the last one was from the fall

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
Yobiwan (03-06-2018), zeal86 (03-06-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 03:10 PM   #775
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
So you're saying that all the reliability issues people have had with the supercharger unit failing are because of a simple rubber gasket or valve? (I'm not entirely sure what the diverter valve is...).

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #776
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
So you're saying that all the reliability issues people have had with the supercharger unit failing are because of a simple rubber gasket or valve? (I'm not entirely sure what the diverter valve is...).
Well from the few failures I have seen I traced it back to a hole in the diaphragm which caused huge pressure sure on the compressor and also a vacuum leak just giving a heads up for you guys

The Following User Says Thank You to Kylebrz For This Useful Post:
zeal86 (03-07-2018)
Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM   #777
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Hmmm on the V1 kit the recirculating valve is inside the bumper, pain in the ass to remove for inspection.

What are telltale symptoms?

Is the valve not closing fully (leaking boost)?

My kid busted my tablet and I can't seem to calibrate the boost gauge in Torque on my phone. It shows -22 at idle and when revving climbs to -10 psi thereabouts. Defintely wrong. I can tell that I am getting boost, just not sure if I am hitting targets or leaking somewhere.

Perhaps if I knew what idle vacuum is I could just do the math.
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #778
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
Hmmm on the V1 kit the recirculating valve is inside the bumper, pain in the ass to remove for inspection.

My kid busted my tablet and I can't seem to calibrate the boost gauge in Torque on my phone. It shows -22 at idle and when revving climbs to -10 psi thereabouts. Defintely wrong. I can tell that I am getting boost, just not sure if I am hitting targets or leaking somewhere.

Hey Warren yea so the valve actually just stays shut and when the vacuum is suppose to pull the valve open but with a hole in it it can't open so all that boost pressure gets pushed back onto the compressor wheel cause the shaft to break of the annular to strip

Old 03-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #779
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post

Oh and also if you have the oem map sensor it only reads boost to 5psi then its velocity tuned after that I also have factory map I need to get my hands on a 3bar

Old 03-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #780
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady;30516h74
The HKS is probably the best looking SC kit. Was not an easy decision not to go that route.
And now I remember why I did not go with this kit. Almost every page on this thread someone is talking about a failure of some sort.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #781
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
And now I remember why I did not go with this kit. Almost every page on this thread someone is talking about a failure of some sort.
The kit makes good power I just think they could have done a better job on quality control of the diverter valve diaphragm

Old 03-07-2018, 11:19 PM   #782
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Garage
Mine's running great for now. Absolutely minimal traction at rear wheels when shifting at 4500 RPM lol.
I am treating it as a power enhancement in moderation. I won't push it, keep from revving high and make sure for example that throttle fully off when pressing clutch. My gut feeling was the annulus threads were loaded by high RPM and possibly quick rev climb as might occur with pressing clutch while throttle engaged or just neutral revving. Even more so if you have a lightweight crank pulley. Also the traction fluid needs to be proper viscosity based on average driving temperatures in your area. There's thicker stuff for hot climates and thinner stuff for cold climate use. People that store their vehicle in the winter will want to use the thicker summer stuff if the temps will be warm to hot during driving season. But if you drive in freezing temps with the thicker fluid that might also put extra load on the annulus thread.

I suppose pressure against the compressor creating resistance is going to "overscrew" the threads.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #783
define198

Drives: s2k supercharged
Quote:
Well from the few failures I have seen I traced it back to a hole in the diaphragm which caused huge pressure sure on the compressor and also a vacuum leak just giving a heads up for you guys

from the s2000 side i believe also mine failed due to the BOV not properly working, i had surge for 6 months before i changed to a tial BOV, but the charger still failed 5 months or so later, my friend with the surge who did not fix it his charger also died.

if the new one dies this time, then its obviously not the compressor surge, BUT i am doing very very limited mileage anyway these days
define198 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to define198 For This Useful Post:
Kylebrz (03-09-2018)
Old 03-09-2018, 07:30 AM   #784
Kylebrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by define198 View Post
from the s2000 side i believe also mine failed due to the BOV not properly working, i had surge for 6 months before i changed to a tial BOV, but the charger still failed 5 months or so later, my friend with the surge who did not fix it his charger also died.

if the new one dies this time, then its obviously not the compressor surge, BUT i am doing very very limited mileage anyway these days
Yea yours should be good if the spring rate is the same as the hks Bov.