follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 04-09-2021, 02:26 PM   #29
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I make an exception for Ferraris. Specifically the 512 Berlinta Boxer. OK, I'm sure it's all the bad things I said, but it's hot sex on the outside. I'm sure it drives like shit too.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:59 AM   #30
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE5 View Post
Every time I look at old cars, I notice how they're loud, tinny, smelly, and ugly on the inside. They also need lots of maintenance and collapse in a tiny crash. Then I head over to the new car dealer.
But... being loud, tinny, and smelly (I'll respectfully differ on the 'ugly on the inside') is all part of the nostalgic charm of old cars.

For me a big part of it is simply the cost. The $65,000 paid for the Celica is a perfect example. To get anything interesting and in decent condition in an old(er) car now costs more than a new equivalent.

I paid under $28k for my new 2019 BRZ (Limited, PP). What does $28k buy in an older car? These days, in the hyper-inflated Silicon-valley tech bro fueled bubble, nothing. $28k gets a middling MGB-GT or Celica in so-so condition, with stories, rust, bondo, and likely an oil-burning engine in need of a rebuild. If you want to get something in honestly nice condition, it apparently takes the $65 large paid for the Celica at the start of this thread.

As much as the nostalgia drive runs strong in me, I just can't do that (I might be crazy, but I'm not that either 1) stupid, or 2) rich). For the same money, a new BRZ might not pluck the nostalgia heartstrings, but it's a helluva lot more reliable, faster, better handling, better braking, safer, comfortable, and did I say more reliable and less of a hemorrhoid to own?

I'd love to relive my youth with the cars of the era I grew up in. But I'd feel like a fool every time I looked at it for what it would cost to buy one.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:58 PM   #31
EAGLE5
Dismember

Drives: 2013 Red Scion FR-S
Thanked 3,999 Times in 2,155 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
But... being loud, tinny, and smelly (I'll respectfully differ on the 'ugly on the inside') is all part of the nostalgic charm of old cars.

For me a big part of it is simply the cost. The $65,000 paid for the Celica is a perfect example. To get anything interesting and in decent condition in an old(er) car now costs more than a new equivalent.

I paid under $28k for my new 2019 BRZ (Limited, PP). What does $28k buy in an older car? These days, in the hyper-inflated Silicon-valley tech bro fueled bubble, nothing. $28k gets a middling MGB-GT or Celica in so-so condition, with stories, rust, bondo, and likely an oil-burning engine in need of a rebuild. If you want to get something in honestly nice condition, it apparently takes the $65 large paid for the Celica at the start of this thread.

As much as the nostalgia drive runs strong in me, I just can't do that (I might be crazy, but I'm not that either 1) stupid, or 2) rich). For the same money, a new BRZ might not pluck the nostalgia heartstrings, but it's a helluva lot more reliable, faster, better handling, better braking, safer, comfortable, and did I say more reliable and less of a hemorrhoid to own?

I'd love to relive my youth with the cars of the era I grew up in. But I'd feel like a fool every time I looked at it for what it would cost to buy one.
Go drive a Tesla Model 3 Performance. That's where you might want to put your 60K. Or a new Cayman. Or a recent 911. Or a GT350, hot Camaro, Corvette, or one of many other cars that are used, recent, and in that price range. There's just no comparison.

Now a truly old car is something different. I saw a sparkly woody drive up last night. It looked pretty sweet. But then such a nightmare to actually maintain.
EAGLE5 is offline   Reply With Quote