follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 03-15-2021, 03:57 PM   #4047
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivikus View Post
Hey guys. I skimmed this thread but there's so much info to cover, I'm not sure where to begin. Looking for some advice on some troubleshooting.

Quick details:
  • 2013 BRZ, currently 77k miles.
  • Edelbrock SC installed at about 68k miles by my mechanic.
  • Datalogged the tune from Edelbrock directly. Everything is smooth and good.
  • Eventually, decide to step it up with Delicious Tuning, but do a little tune up beforehand to make sure it's ready. (New spark plugs, ignition coils, all OEM)
  • I put about 500 miles on the car before ordering the new tune, to make sure I didn't mess anything up. Everything seemed fine.

So, I get the tune from Delicious Tuning with confidence. The tune is good, but during the datalogging process, I definitely noticed some hesitation between 2k-3k RPMs (the bottom of the power band I presume)
After many revisions and more datalogs, DT says they can't find any reason to believe it's the tune. The car and power delivery is fantastic after 3K rpm, so I don't have any reason to not believe them. Especially considering I'm a complete beginner and they're the experts.

Nine-ish months later, the hesitation is getting bad and I have CELs. P1170, P117B, and P0172. The car sometimes lurches under very gentle acceleration between 2K and 3K RPMs. It also nearly stalls sometimes when coming to a stop. I replaced the O2 sensors thinking they may be going bad. The car is great for about a day, but after a few more drives it seems to have come back. Part of the problem is how much difficulty I have recreating it. Some days it seems fine, especially once the car is up to temp.

I'm really not sure what to check now. I'm wondering if it's the MAP sensor? Injectors? Would that really only affect low RPMs and low throttle? I could take it back to my mechanic, but I'm pretty sure he'd just take it back to the tune from Edelbrock and go from there. I'm pretty sure I backed that up before switching to the DT tune, so I could probably do that myself if I wanted.

What steps would you guys take next?
Send me a datalog. I'll gladly review it.

As stated above, your injectors may need cleaning. It's a common item people overlook.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:55 PM   #4048
Nivikus

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the response folks, I really appreciate it. I'll start looking at videos or posts for properly removing the injectors. Hopefully the SC doesn't complicate it too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Send me a datalog. I'll gladly review it.

As stated above, your injectors may need cleaning. It's a common item people overlook.
Wow, that would be really awesome. Hopefully I can get around to that sometime this week.

I was actually in touch with CSG back in January, as I'm considering switching to Flex Fuel and wanted to make sure I had the correct checklist of supporting mods to do first. Obviously this problem should get taken care of first.
Nivikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:04 AM   #4049
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the response folks, I really appreciate it. I'll start looking at videos or posts for properly removing the injectors. Hopefully the SC doesn't complicate it too much.

Wow, that would be really awesome. Hopefully I can get around to that sometime this week.

I was actually in touch with CSG back in January, as I'm considering switching to Flex Fuel and wanted to make sure I had the correct checklist of supporting mods to do first. Obviously this problem should get taken care of first.
The supercharger actually makes the injectors easier to reach. I changed mine in about 30 minutes taking my time.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 PM   #4050
Elastiik

Drives: BRZ
I hope this isn't off-topic, but I'm curious about emissions. If getting a dyno tune to maximize efficiency/power, does that mean the car is actually spewing out significantly higher amounts of harmful pollution? Or would it, in reality, be about the same as CARB tune, and is "illegal" only because that specific configuration didn't go through all the legal works?
Elastiik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:47 PM   #4051
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Be interesting to do a sniffer test on a tuned car. I passed smog no problem but all they do is an ODB check and a visual check (not even on a lift or anything).
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #4052
tian105

Drives: M4
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
1. does anyone know how much the standard carb tune puts down on pump 93 octane and how is the drivability with the CARB tune?

2. Anyone upgraded from the CARB tune to a Ptuning, CSG, or delicious tune and feel a difference?
tian105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #4053
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tian105 View Post
1. does anyone know how much the standard carb tune puts down on pump 93 octane and how is the drivability with the CARB tune?

2. Anyone upgraded from the CARB tune to a Ptuning, CSG, or delicious tune and feel a difference?

Edelbrock has it listed on their website: 242whp and 186 lb-ft of torque. The CSG tunes put out quite a bit more. In the neighborhood of 290-300whp on pump gas. I went straight with the CSG tune and have zero regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #4054
Side

Drives: 2018 BRZ tS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post
Edelbrock has it listed on their website: 242whp and 186 lb-ft of torque. The CSG tunes put out quite a bit more. In the neighborhood of 290-300whp on pump gas. I went straight with the CSG tune and have zero regrets.

Subject to engine sensitivity and fuel quality of course, mine is getting 255whp on 92 octane. Fuel quality is pretty poor in my area.
Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:24 PM   #4055
Decep

Drives: 2013 FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto_egr View Post

what did you dyno on? That sounds awfully optimistic.
Edelbrock Supercharger installed @ 50k
Decep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 07:36 PM   #4056
Auto_egr

Drives: 2017 CWP BRZ w/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decep View Post
what did you dyno on? That sounds awfully optimistic.

Unfortunately I had to Etune with Zach instead of dyno tune since I'm too far away. But on crap Cali gas his Edelbrock tunes hover around 280-290whp on 91 and 330whp on E85 with a Dynojet. So I expect my car is hovering somewhere around there on 93/E85.

Auto_egr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 08:49 PM   #4057
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elastiik View Post
I hope this isn't off-topic, but I'm curious about emissions. If getting a dyno tune to maximize efficiency/power, does that mean the car is actually spewing out significantly higher amounts of harmful pollution? Or would it, in reality, be about the same as CARB tune, and is "illegal" only because that specific configuration didn't go through all the legal works?
In theory yes. To make more power you need to burn more fuel which means more emissions. That being said a long time ago there was someone who put a BRZ on a sniffer with a catless header (NA, pump gas tuned) and the emissions were still within emissions test specs, so a modern vehicle that's operating well shouldn't be spewing 'significantly higher amounts of harmful pollution' even with aftermarket tuning.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:19 AM   #4058
Nivikus

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonblt2 View Post
The supercharger actually makes the injectors easier to reach. I changed mine in about 30 minutes taking my time.
This was the case, pretty cool. Got around to this weekend and cleaned the port injectors and they looked pretty clean already... but cleaned them anyway to be sure. Now some regular driving will tell if it made the difference. This brings me to some other questions though;

1. What are the odds it's the other four injectors at the cylinder heads that need cleaned? I can't find a guide on how to get to them. I'm guessing it requires lifting or dropping the engine? I'm going to run the PEA based Gumout for the next 2-3 gas tanks to hopefully clean these.
2. I'm probably going to upgrade to flex fuel this summer. CSG recommended the ID1050x injectors. These are for the the port injectors only, correct? I do not need to upgrade all eight injectors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tian105 View Post

I was on 93 fuel with the stock cat and made 252 on the dyno using a datalogged/revised tune from Edelbrock. I got a tune from DT last may and didn't notice any real power gains, but I don't have dyno charts to support that. Drivability and fuel economy slightly improved though, and the extra modes that come with the DT tune are pretty slick.
Nivikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 12:18 PM   #4059
brandonblt2
The Stig's African Cousin

Drives: 2014 wrb brz
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
This was the case, pretty cool. Got around to this weekend and cleaned the port injectors and they looked pretty clean already... but cleaned them anyway to be sure. Now some regular driving will tell if it made the difference. This brings me to some other questions though;

1. What are the odds it's the other four injectors at the cylinder heads that need cleaned? I can't find a guide on how to get to them. I'm guessing it requires lifting or dropping the engine? I'm going to run the PEA based Gumout for the next 2-3 gas tanks to hopefully clean these.
2. I'm probably going to upgrade to flex fuel this summer. CSG recommended the ID1050x injectors. These are for the the port injectors only, correct? I do not need to upgrade all eight injectors?

I was on 93 fuel with the stock cat and made 252 on the dyno using a datalogged/revised tune from Edelbrock. I got a tune from DT last may and didn't notice any real power gains, but I don't have dyno charts to support that. Drivability and fuel economy slightly improved though, and the extra modes that come with the DT tune are pretty slick.
Getting to the direct injectors is a lot more work. Basically you have to remove the entire supercharger. I haven't seen many people replacing them, most just change the seals on them. Those guys are doing track days running at high rpms where the car will mainly be using DI mode. When the direct injector seals are bad their appears to be specific symptoms like popping in the engine at high rpms and knock. I didn't have any of those symptoms so I didn't brother replacing them. You might be able to get way with doing the same thing. Here is a semi guide for removal of the DIs
to remove the supercharger just follow edelbrocks installation instructions in reverse if you didn't install it yourself.

And yes I believe most fuel injector kits are for port injectors I don't believe you have to upgrade direct injectors when just upgrading port injectors but don't quote me on that. You might have to upgrade your fuel pump if you plan on getting bigger injectors inorder for them to work properly also.
brandonblt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:24 PM   #4060
Pgh_Area

Drives: '14 Ultramarine Fr-S
Garage
And yes I believe most fuel injector kits are for port injectors I don't believe you have to upgrade direct injectors when just upgrading port injectors but don't quote me on that. You might have to upgrade your fuel pump if you plan on getting bigger injectors inorder for them to work properly also.[/QUOTE]

Just upgraded to flex fuel kit and 1050x injectors through CSG. No need for larger fuel pump as of yet. If you order through their site, it gives a brief explanation of your needs/requirements based on what you have and what you're trying to achieve
Pgh_Area is offline   Reply With Quote