follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #29
FR-Slide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 246
Thanks: 104
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looks good, but a bit unsure on the attachment plans from the CAD update. Can you elaborate?
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #30
smbstyle
Senior Member
 
smbstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Location: Forsyth, GA
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 224
Thanked 678 Times in 302 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love it. How would it install?
__________________
-----------------------------------
2013 SWP BRZ
Build Thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38781
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:11 PM   #31
mokinbird87
BOXER FR
 
mokinbird87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 751
Thanks: 393
Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
Looks good, but a bit unsure on the attachment plans from the CAD update. Can you elaborate?
I plan on making brackets that will bolt the diffuser onto a chassis portion of the car, similar to something like this:
__________________
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #32
smbstyle
Senior Member
 
smbstyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Location: Forsyth, GA
Posts: 1,008
Thanks: 224
Thanked 678 Times in 302 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
I plan on making brackets that will bolt the diffuser onto a chassis portion of the car, similar to something like this:
so you would cut out the OEM lower bumper piece?

That diffuser is the Borla unit that mounts to the exhaust.
__________________
-----------------------------------
2013 SWP BRZ
Build Thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38781
smbstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #33
mokinbird87
BOXER FR
 
mokinbird87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 751
Thanks: 393
Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
and also where the diffuser meets the bumper, there will be a lip with a 3M tape that will adhere onto the bumper.
__________________
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mokinbird87 For This Useful Post:
smbstyle (03-11-2014)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:14 PM   #34
mokinbird87
BOXER FR
 
mokinbird87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 751
Thanks: 393
Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbstyle View Post
so you would cut out the OEM lower bumper piece?

That diffuser is the Borla unit that mounts to the exhaust.
yes you cut into the bumper. If I get enough people interested I could do the work for you and have everything painted and just ship out the entire bumper.. sounds more difficult than just cutting your own bumper though as paint matching alone is a lot of work on its own.

for the fitment, I`m ordering the Invidia Q300 so most of exhaust set up that have similar dimensions will work as I will create brackets that will bolt the diffuser onto the chassis of the car around the muffler, etc...
__________________
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #35
carter86
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Drives: 2013 Black Scion FRS
Location: Lawrenceville,GA
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
You are too baller andy
carter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carter86 For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (03-11-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:10 AM   #36
Slartibartfast
Klaatu barada nikto
 
Slartibartfast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Raven FR-S MT
Location: Cambridge, Canada
Posts: 535
Thanks: 475
Thanked 208 Times in 88 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just the fact that people like @mokinbird87 and @Wonderbar exist, restores my faith in humanity. Love the form, function, imagination, and awesomeness of this. Can't wait to see the final result so I can start saving.

Thanks guys!

Sub'd
__________________

I vow to do no harm.
2013 Raven FR-S Manual "Lenore"
1985 Silver RX-7 GSL-SE (Gone and missed)
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slartibartfast For This Useful Post:
Ammonia (03-15-2014), charged86 (03-13-2014), Kristjan (03-12-2014), mokinbird87 (03-12-2014), Wonderbar (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 03:14 AM   #37
Eminent Performance
 
Eminent Performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 189
Thanks: 114
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I love it. Sign me up if you can make it! Because of my exhaust removing the big / round muffler, I feel like there would be a parachute-effect on the rear bumper. The big / fake black diffuser (stock) looks too wannabe racer with no function. Your concept is great! hope it happens!
Eminent Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 AM   #38
OICU812
Just a dude
 
OICU812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Location: Edson, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,289
Thanks: 1,185
Thanked 1,187 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tansey86 View Post
Maybe a single exit option? Some solutions to cover up the unused exhaust port are nice, but a proper single exit diffuser may be a monopoly at this point. Food for thought Thanks for the efforts!

i agree good idea, to this date only hole fillers, someone who makes something look OEM off the bat with one hole for the single exhaust folks will be well,,,,,, winning.
__________________
OICU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:09 AM   #39
FR-Slide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 246
Thanks: 104
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
and also where the diffuser meets the bumper, there will be a lip with a 3M tape that will adhere onto the bumper.
What about at the front end, where the diffuser "starts" near the diff/rear sway bar? Seems like you could easily tie into the brackets/bolts there for some really solid mounting points. Without those, you'd basically only be anchored at the rear (via band clamps on the pipes and 3M tape on the plastic bumper cover). I'd think that this would cause the long undertray to seriously flex/wobble at speed, since it's sitting out in the wind like a reed on a woodwind instrument basically.

If you already covered this, please disregard. I just didn't see any provisions for those mounts in the CAD mock-ups.

Also; for the rear "fog" and backup lights: it looks like your new reflector will be sitting on top of the existing reverse bar, correct? This also looks like there is a moderate "lip" around the bar where the piece wraps around? I am wondering how this would affect reverse light output/visibility (if at all)? Also, if there will be a way to NOT have the reflector? I blacked out my reverse bar to the same color as the stock bumper so that it blends in, so sticking a bright red reflector back there would stand out a lot
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 12:33 PM   #40
mokinbird87
BOXER FR
 
mokinbird87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Location: irvine, ca
Posts: 751
Thanks: 393
Thanked 335 Times in 171 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Slide View Post
What about at the front end, where the diffuser "starts" near the diff/rear sway bar? Seems like you could easily tie into the brackets/bolts there for some really solid mounting points. Without those, you'd basically only be anchored at the rear (via band clamps on the pipes and 3M tape on the plastic bumper cover). I'd think that this would cause the long undertray to seriously flex/wobble at speed, since it's sitting out in the wind like a reed on a woodwind instrument basically.

If you already covered this, please disregard. I just didn't see any provisions for those mounts in the CAD mock-ups.

Also; for the rear "fog" and backup lights: it looks like your new reflector will be sitting on top of the existing reverse bar, correct? This also looks like there is a moderate "lip" around the bar where the piece wraps around? I am wondering how this would affect reverse light output/visibility (if at all)? Also, if there will be a way to NOT have the reflector? I blacked out my reverse bar to the same color as the stock bumper so that it blends in, so sticking a bright red reflector back there would stand out a lot
yup. all mounting points will be considered once i have the diffuser in my hand I want this piece to be as functional as possible (without looking too much like a "race car") so how this piece mounts to the car is very crucial.

thanks for the input!
__________________
mokinbird87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #41
FR-Slide
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Drives: 13 Whiteout 6MT
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 246
Thanks: 104
Thanked 65 Times in 51 Posts
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
yup. all mounting points will be considered once i have the diffuser in my hand I want this piece to be as functional as possible (without looking too much like a "race car") so how this piece mounts to the car is very crucial.

thanks for the input!
If you can't tell from my frequent comments on this and the vent thread, I'm very interested in these and their development. My inner engineer is living vicariously at the moment.

Props for tackling these items, and also for soliciting feedback. Keep up the great work, and holler if you need a test car
FR-Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-Slide For This Useful Post:
mokinbird87 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 AM   #42
charged86
Senior Member
 
charged86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: whiteout gt86 2015 IS350fsport
Location: northern kentucky. cincy
Posts: 1,931
Thanks: 2,154
Thanked 697 Times in 437 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mokinbird87 View Post
or...

two fins in the middle and maybe another fin coming off the outer side of the outline of the difusser like the outer side of the exhaust the outlet will we be able to keep our exhaust outlet in stock postion and could you have a carbon version? because i was alread going to get the apr cover in carbon
__________________
INSTAGRAM @Rcf_700 www.youtube.com/boostindub
charged86 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: Custom Acrylic Accents, $13. YOUR custom design! Cupholder and Mission Tray too! Diode Dynamics Interior Parts (Incl. Lighting) 155 11-19-2014 11:42 AM
Random thought, custom painted rear diffuser SkAsphalt Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 8 03-21-2013 11:42 AM
HT Autos / KORU rear spats - BRZ and FRS - works with OEM diffuser Koru Exterior Parts - The Rest 9 01-25-2013 08:05 PM
Does anybody make a custom diffuser for the FR-S? Grateful Dave Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) 19 12-09-2012 11:19 PM
OEM FRS with KORU Works Rear Diffuser pics _hollywood FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 10 10-18-2012 10:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.