follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

View Poll Results: Do you have chirping (cricket) noise during idle once the car is warmed up?
Yes (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 3,100 85.21%
No (Please only vote after you have 300 miles or more on the odometer) 538 14.79%
Voters: 3638. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 08-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #2605
FRS1010

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yeah screw that I'm not going to take it back. Just rather deal with it and on special occasions buy some ethanol free gas or octane booster.
FRS1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #2606
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
replacing the pump is not going to fix the issue

just saying. May get rid of it for awhile but overall...not effective.

Had mine after filling up with 93 with 10% because I had no choice. I usually do 91 0% and have no crickets. As soon as I got into town on that 93 10% tank I heard the crickets. Not saying it is entirely all gas, but it seems to be the issue with most people here. Filled up with 91 0% after I ran the tank close to E, no more crickets.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #2607
sierra

Drives: Skoda Yeti DSG diesel 4x4
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazzy View Post
Not saying it is entirely all gas, but it seems to be the issue with most people here. Filled up with 91 0% after I ran the tank close to E, no more crickets.
It only happens in countries where ethanol is commonly available.
That is the cause.
sierra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:04 PM   #2608
Khazzy

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
It only happens in countries where ethanol is commonly available.
That is the cause.
I am very sure it is the cause. People will continue to deny it though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Khazzy For This Useful Post:
sierra (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM   #2609
NIKOLA

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S in Ultramarine
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just an update regarding the new pump I got installed.

After getting the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced I had no problems. However, I have been using Lucas Oil mixed in with my gas. I might add that since the change I only used BP gas. I don't know why since I usually was a Mobile gas user with my 1998 Camaro Z28.

Anyway, a week ago I needed to get some gas and I filled up on Mobile gas. By the time I got home I had the beginnings of the dreaded cricket chirp coming back. Since I didn't have a bottle of Lucas oil with me when filling up I figured that's why the chirping had started. Though I never had a bottle with me at other times I was filling up. I put in 4 oz. The next day the engine was chirping as I arrived at work and later as I arrived at home. I was like, "WHAT THE F**K!!!" Well, once I got down to a 1/4 tank of gas I added another 3-4 oz. of Lucus oil and the chirping went away. The next day I fueled up at a BP and added another 3 oz. or so. Thus far, no chirping at all. After this tank I will go back to adding 4 oz. of Lucas Oil at every fuel filling at BP.

I believe that around the Chicago land area BP is the better gas for us over Mobile regarding this problem. I can't say about other gas stations, but I will be sticking to BP and Lucas Oil for the time being.
Currently driving a Sprintex Supercharged FR-S in Ultramarine with an Invidia N1 Catback with Catless Front Pipe, Invidia Over Pipe, Injen Catless 4:1 EL Headers, Perrin Aluminum Drive Pulley & Driveshaft Shop Aluminum Driveshaft. Also, looking to upgrade wheels someday to Enkei PF01's (17x8's).
NIKOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:58 AM   #2610
Kosmos
Kosmos

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
update

Bp isn't that great. I heard sone bad things. They turn your spark plugs orange, they add additives to the gas. Shell I heard has thr most consistent fuel you can purchase

Toyota/scion of naperville, IL informed me of a new revised pump. Blah blah blah.
Also replacing the pump does effect my drivability. I noticed thay my car starts up smoother Nd that with the chirps my idle will drop from 600 to 400 a lot at stop lights.
Kosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #2611
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosmos View Post
Also replacing the pump does effect my drivability. I noticed thay my car starts up smoother Nd that with the chirps my idle will drop from 600 to 400 a lot at stop lights.
That's interesting.
Maybe they could shut them up by turning the direct injection off from idle to 5,000rpm instead of just from 3,000rpm to 5,000rpm as it is now?
Port injection could easily cope with that.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #2612
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIKOLA View Post
Just an update regarding the new pump I got installed.

After getting the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced I had no problems. However, I have been using Lucas Oil mixed in with my gas. I might add that since the change I only used BP gas. I don't know why since I usually was a Mobile gas user with my 1998 Camaro Z28.

Anyway, a week ago I needed to get some gas and I filled up on Mobile gas. By the time I got home I had the beginnings of the dreaded cricket chirp coming back. Since I didn't have a bottle of Lucas oil with me when filling up I figured that's why the chirping had started. Though I never had a bottle with me at other times I was filling up. I put in 4 oz. The next day the engine was chirping as I arrived at work and later as I arrived at home. I was like, "WHAT THE F**K!!!" Well, once I got down to a 1/4 tank of gas I added another 3-4 oz. of Lucus oil and the chirping went away. The next day I fueled up at a BP and added another 3 oz. or so. Thus far, no chirping at all. After this tank I will go back to adding 4 oz. of Lucas Oil at every fuel filling at BP.

I believe that around the Chicago land area BP is the better gas for us over Mobile regarding this problem. I can't say about other gas stations, but I will be sticking to BP and Lucas Oil for the time being.
Man, it may help the crickets but adding oil to your gas seems sketchy to me. Doesn't oil lower the effective octane of the gas it is mixed with? I know when you suck oil into your intake you effectively lower the octane level of the intake charge.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:27 AM   #2613
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Man, it may help the crickets but adding oil to your gas seems sketchy to me. Doesn't oil lower the effective octane of the gas it is mixed with? I know when you suck oil into your intake you effectively lower the octane level of the intake charge.
It would also produce more post-combustion soot and sludge that will eventually degrade the engine performance, if its not managed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 AM   #2614
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
just started having the chirp recently...around 3000km into the car...i dont hear it inside the car but its pretty loud outside...pretty annoying
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #2615
sierra

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
It would also produce more post-combustion soot and sludge that will eventually degrade the engine performance, if its not managed.
2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate and then combust with zero ash in certain ratings. A 1:1000 mix has stopped the chirps in some cases and I would suspect any effect of that tiny amount on the octane rating would be of no consequence.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #2616
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra View Post
2 stroke oil is designed to lubricate and then combust with zero ash in certain ratings. A 1:1000 mix has stopped the chirps in some cases and I would suspect any effect of that tiny amount on the octane rating would be of no consequence.
Its also "designed" for use in 2-stroke (or 2-cycle) engines. I'm not saying you are entirely incorrect, but using something outside of what it was designed for (using 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine) can get you different results than what you may expect.

To make an extreme example, an Airplane is designed with travel in mind, but specifically air travel. You could use it to travel on a freeway, but it wouldn't perform the same as in the air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:02 PM   #2617
Lizai

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khazzy View Post
replacing the pump is not going to fix the issue

just saying. May get rid of it for awhile but overall...not effective.

Had mine after filling up with 93 with 10% because I had no choice. I usually do 91 0% and have no crickets. As soon as I got into town on that 93 10% tank I heard the crickets. Not saying it is entirely all gas, but it seems to be the issue with most people here. Filled up with 91 0% after I ran the tank close to E, no more crickets.
I will try E free after I finish the half tank. The first time I got chirp was after I filled my car up with shell 93. After pump replaced is was good for a week. Then I went to another shell for 93. Noise came back. I will try Lucas ethanol solution with the current half tank and then E free after that
Lizai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:16 PM   #2618
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Its also "designed" for use in 2-stroke (or 2-cycle) engines. I'm not saying you are entirely incorrect, but using something outside of what it was designed for (using 2 stroke oil in a 4 stroke engine) can get you different results than what you may expect.
It's also regularly used in rotary engines. When's the last time you used duct tape for a duct?

The thing that bugs me is that 2-stroke oil is designed to be combusted, not put through a high pressure fuel pump, I don't think I've even seen a fuel injected 2-stroke motor in person... But after quick googling they do exist.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote