follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 11-24-2023, 12:16 AM   #29
Balefire

Drives: Mazda 93 RX7 R1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I don't see you getting out the door for 30k if you're buying a new one.
Disagree.
With MY2024 incoming, good time to look for deals on MY2023 BRZ.

Just got a 2nd gen MY2023 BRZ this month.
MSRP 29.7k
Agreed price 28.3k
Out the door 29.7k.(agreed price + doc fee, registration, tax)

Having said that, in my area with lots of dealer competition, only 1 dealer was willing to sell a brz under msrp, and 1 dealer willing to sell a gr86 slightly under msrp.
Msrp is far easier to get.

Coming from a 2017 PP BRZ.
The facelift PP 1st gen vs my new 2nd gen
Facelift PP brembos braking was far superior in function and looks.
Facelift looks with the rear wing was superior also
Facelift turn signal was normal
Facelift analog speedometer was retro cool
Facelift trunk was bigger

Despite above, my 2nd gen brz is worth the 10k price difference without a doubt for 2 reasons.
No torque dip!
More hp! (Probably under rated. 240hp?)

Last edited by Balefire; 11-24-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Balefire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Balefire For This Useful Post:
fredzy (11-28-2023), Lantanafrs2 (11-24-2023)
Old 11-24-2023, 12:32 AM   #30
Balefire

Drives: Mazda 93 RX7 R1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjej View Post
How did you get it that low? No markup or anything. Did you haggle below MSRP? My dad is really good at that but I don't know how.
I haggled remotely via text / email primarily with some phone calls to verify my serious intentions. Haggling in person is unpleasant and the way of the past.

Quote:
$35k total is not that bad but a little more than Id like to pay maybe. Should I just get base model then? Would it be worth saving the extra ~2k?
I could have chosen either the base premium or the luxury limited under msrp.
I chose to save 2.5k and get the base because
Dealer willing to discount base a little more under msrp due to lower popularity
The heated seats stink and take forever
The speakers stink and 2 extra speakers that stink dont help
I never notice the directional headlights on my other cars
Cloth is grippier.
All my cars run aftermarket wheels.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:30 AM   #31
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balefire View Post
Despite above, my 2nd gen brz is worth the 10k price difference without a doubt for one reason.
No torque dip!
It can be easily fixed with headers and a tune for a lot less than 10k. Although the 2nd gen will still be quicker.
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 02:21 AM   #32
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Disagree.

MSRP 29.7k
Agreed price 28.3k
Out the door 29.7k

Having said that, in my area with lots of dealer competition, only 1 dealer was willing to sell a brz under msrp, and 1 dealer willing to sell a gr86 slightly under msrp.

Despite above, my 2nd gen brz is worth the 10k price difference without a doubt for one reason.
No torque dip!
So you in fact PAID MSRP. Or do you not understand how that is supposed to work?
The ONLY thing that shouldn't be calculated into MSRP are taxes and and extra shit you get. (Undercoating/etc.)
And way to brag about that $300 difference. As if the 30K quote wasn't just rounding up to the nearest round number.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 01:06 AM   #33
gnarjunkie

Drives: '23 GR86, '17 BRZ
Quote:
How did you get it that low? No markup or anything. Did you haggle below MSRP? My dad is really good at that but I don't know how

Correct -- no markup at all. Local dealer sells at MSRP only. I believe the car was $29k with a GR shift knob for options and a 200 or 300 dollar dealer charge. Ended up at $29.5k all said and done.

I was originally looking for a limited, but this one fell into my lap. Everywhere I called had at least a 6 month wait... someone canceled their order on this one when it was already on the ship over from Japan. Got it less than 6 weeks after putting down a deposit.

Only real bonuses with the limited were the seat material, fancier headlights that point around corners, different wheels, a few more speakers, and the duckbill spoiler. I like the base cloth seats more actually and the $5k ish saved off the limited easily buys nicer wheels and speakers + a $400 pre-painted duckbill from Toyota anyways.
gnarjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 09:23 AM   #34
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
From OPs post, I noticed that he is rather young, 19YO or around. At such age, the last thing you want to do is to commit yourself to a high car payment/insurance, yearly property taxes. This means that even if you walk out the door with a 30K vehicle, the first year you'll pay almost $900 in property tax. Based on Colorado rates.
I saw it all the time with young soldiers. Where basically a good chunk of your salary would go towards payments for the car.
If you got the means for such a young age, then great for you. Or if you, working with family, will guarantee a great starting salary, then that is also great.

I know it is the last thing you want to hear, financial jargon and non-sense. But owning a new car specially when trying to become financially stable/independent is not always easy.

Instead of trying to convince you which car in terms of performance/warranty would be best, take a look at which one financially would make the most sense. Put everything into the able, rent, groceries, etc. Then add the cost of each car. See what is more feasible.

Last edited by spcmafia; 11-27-2023 at 01:58 PM.
spcmafia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spcmafia For This Useful Post:
Ash_89 (11-28-2023), menikmati (11-27-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 08:43 AM   #35
fredzy
Mebmer

Drives: Sienna, GR86, FL5
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Not surprised to see new BRZ/86 selling below MSRP, it's getting pretty cold out there.

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta

There were days when I wondered if that would ever be a thing again. To be honest I almost preferred the world where MSRP was the best you can do. In the before times you needed to do some work to figure out what the lowest you could conceivably get was, and then go work for that. Always be second guessing.
fredzy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fredzy For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-29-2023)
Old 11-28-2023, 09:02 AM   #36
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredzy View Post
Not surprised to see new BRZ/86 selling below MSRP, it's getting pretty cold out there.
I bought mine at MSRP -$250 back in May fwiw, but yeah my strategy is usually to buy sports/sporty rwd cars in the frozen months...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Sjej (11-29-2023), Teseo (12-06-2023)
Old 11-29-2023, 08:53 PM   #37
Sjej

Drives: 2010 Ford Edge Sport
Quote:
Disagree.

MSRP 29.7k
Agreed price 28.3k
Out the door 29.7k.(agreed price + doc fee, registration, tax)

Facelift trunk was bigger

Despite above, my 2nd gen brz is worth the 10k price difference without a doubt for 2 reasons.
No torque dip!
More hp! (Probably under rated. 240hp?)

yeah, this was also a plan of mine. to buy a used '22 or '23, instead of brand new. i think that is much more doable
Sjej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 09:03 PM   #38
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Harry View Post
It can be easily fixed with headers and a tune for a lot less than 10k. Although the 2nd gen will still be quicker.

Yeah, this is why I'm OK with a first gen if the financial situation doesn't make for a new BRZ. I don't really care. I prefer a new one just to keep it long-term and avoid repair costs however an old one is fine by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnarjunkie View Post
Only real bonuses with the limited were the seat material, fancier headlights that point around corners, different wheels, a few more speakers, and the duckbill spoiler. I like the base cloth seats more actually and the $5k ish saved off the limited easily buys nicer wheels and speakers + a $400 pre-painted duckbill from Toyota anyways.

would you say the few thousand saved from going with the base is worth it or did you do it just because you had to? i feel like i'm cheaping out if i get a base model brz.. siince theyre already "cheap", everyone tells me that, but i personally dont care about a premium or base trim i just want the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
From OPs post, I noticed that he is rather young, 19YO or around. At such age, the last thing you want to do is to commit yourself to a high car payment/insurance, yearly property taxes. This means that even if you walk out the door with a 30K vehicle, the first year you'll pay almost $900 in property tax. Based on Colorado rates.
I saw it all the time with young soldiers. Where basically a good chunk of your salary would go towards payments for the car.
If you got the means for such a young age, then great for you. Or if you, working with family, will guarantee a great starting salary, then that is also great.

I know it is the last thing you want to hear, financial jargon and non-sense. But owning a new car specially when trying to become financially stable/independent is not always easy.

Instead of trying to convince you which car in terms of performance/warranty would be best, take a look at which one financially would make the most sense. Put everything into the able, rent, groceries, etc. Then add the cost of each car. See what is more feasible.

Yeah I actually started budgeting this month and it's opened my eyes. It made me 100x more confident about buying a BRZ because I actually get a good overview about my finances and big purchases dont get in the way of my savings goals. It's also taught me how to balance my priorities and such. So I don't think money is going to be an issue IF everything goes as planned. Especially since it'll only be one car payment and I'm aiming for a higher down payment to get a <$300 monthly payment and no more than 4 or 5 year term. So $20k down payment. That's a good amount of saving and it may take longer since I also must put some in an account for a house & retirement but it is definitely doable

I should be a 2nd year apprentice at the time of buying a BRZ. But I'll def keep all that in mind. My plan was to get a rough estimate of the insurance, gas, and monthly car note, go a year or so of putting that much into my savings, and seeing if it's doable. If so, then I'll know it's possible to get the car. If I struggle at all, then I'll have to hold off
Old 11-30-2023, 02:04 PM   #39
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, this is why I'm OK with a first gen if the financial situation doesn't make for a new BRZ. I don't really care. I prefer a new one just to keep it long-term and avoid repair costs however an old one is fine by me

would you say the few thousand saved from going with the base is worth it or did you do it just because you had to? i feel like i'm cheaping out if i get a base model brz.. siince theyre already "cheap", everyone tells me that, but i personally dont care about a premium or base trim i just want the car.

Yeah I actually started budgeting this month and it's opened my eyes. It made me 100x more confident about buying a BRZ because I actually get a good overview about my finances and big purchases dont get in the way of my savings goals. It's also taught me how to balance my priorities and such. So I don't think money is going to be an issue IF everything goes as planned. Especially since it'll only be one car payment and I'm aiming for a higher down payment to get a <$300 monthly payment and no more than 4 or 5 year term. So $20k down payment. That's a good amount of saving and it may take longer since I also must put some in an account for a house & retirement but it is definitely doable

I should be a 2nd year apprentice at the time of buying a BRZ. But I'll def keep all that in mind. My plan was to get a rough estimate of the insurance, gas, and monthly car note, go a year or so of putting that much into my savings, and seeing if it's doable. If so, then I'll know it's possible to get the car. If I struggle at all, then I'll have to hold off
What I bolded/highlighted is why some of us are cautioning against signing up for a big financial responsibility at your age.

With current inflation rates, putting that kind of money down on a depreciating asset is a terrible financial choice vs putting it in the market.
Sjej (11-30-2023)
Old 11-30-2023, 09:52 PM   #40
Sjej

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
What I bolded/highlighted is why some of us are cautioning against signing up for a big financial responsibility at your age.

With current inflation rates, putting that kind of money down on a depreciating asset is a terrible financial choice vs putting it in the market.

Understandable. So in that case just get a cheap used 1st gen? Because I know that'd be something I could easily afford for under 20k and it would be enough for me to have fun
But would I even be able to get a house in my 20s without some kind of loan in my history? I don't think credit card purchases are enough to convince lenders I can make mortgage payments? Unless they are. I could also finance something cheaper like a used 1st gen in that case?
Old 12-01-2023, 09:30 AM   #41
Desertnate
Spelling Impaired

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited WR Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Understandable. So in that case just get a cheap used 1st gen? Because I know that'd be something I could easily afford for under 20k and it would be enough for me to have fun
But would I even be able to get a house in my 20s without some kind of loan in my history? I don't think credit card purchases are enough to convince lenders I can make mortgage payments? Unless they are. I could also finance something cheaper like a used 1st gen in that case?
My advice would be to go with one you can easily afford until you are better established. Get through the apprenticeship, stash away a decent amount of savings, and get some retirement savings going if you can. Don't make yourself car-poor. I did in my early 20's and while it was a lot of fun at the time, it was certainly not a wise choice.

As for building up credit scores and getting a mortgage, you'd be surprised. I have two girls who aren't much older than you and have/will soon be in a similar position in life.

My youngest has seen major improvement in her credit score since getting a card and keeping it paid off each month. When she starts paying on her student loans and makes payments on time, that will help tons too. My oldest and her husband bought a house about three years ago. After graduating from college, they kept their debt to a minimum, kept their credit cards paid off, paid student loans on time, and paid their rent on time for 3~4 years. When they moved to a new city and decided to buy a house, they were pleasantly surprised by their credit score and the mortgage rates they were offered. I think the credit score an a reasonable debt-to-income ration really helped.
Desertnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:28 PM   #42
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yep, credit card history is enough. I had never had a car loan before I purchased my first house. I also bought WELL within my means. This is something the general American public is HORRIBLE about, they buy at the limit of what the bank will approve them for and then end up getting in a jam. Por ejemplo, in my first house. After mortgage, health insurance for me and my now ex-wife, my two car payments, my 401k, I could STILL put $1200/month in savings. Something like almost 50% of Americans don't have $1k on hand for an emergency. I can tell you owning a car with a payment, or owning a house, there are very few $1000 emergencies, they are always way more.

As mentioned, get a credit card and USE IT FOR EVERYTHING. But pay it off each month. We switched to just using one card for everything a few years ago vs my fiance buying something and paying me back or vice-versa.

In just 3 years, the limit on that card has jumped from $15k to 35K, on just that card. Higher limits, with lower usage keep your debt-to-income and your credit utilization good.

Check out pages like Mrmoneymustache and the like.

Personally, my advice, would not to be taking on a car loan before you can even buy a 6-pack.
Desertnate (12-05-2023), Sjej (01-21-2024)