follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2018, 03:29 PM   #1
MaximS

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Driving without a hood ONTARIO

So I've got an appointment with a body shop to get my front end fixed, but I have to go pick up a hood today from the scrappers. Problem is it doesn't fit in the car. Well I called the local OPP station and was told very sternly I can't drive without a hood. But I was reading the MTO regulations and it doesn't say you can't drive without a hood, no fender isn't allowed, but no hood is OK from what I read.

Quote:
HOOD:

a)
- insecure, damaged or deteriorated in a
manner that it is likely to become
detached or missing
So that's what makes a vehicle NOT roadworthy. I told the lady politely I think she's mistaken so she got the traffic Sergeant and he confirmed it's LEGAL to drive WITHOUT a hood. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone in case someone needed to make a small trip to buy a hood or whatever, because the way it's worded almost makes it seem like it's not allowed. But if you read it again it becomes clear that the LATCH can't be damaged in a way that would risk the hood flying off or coming up and breaking the windshield. No hood itself is allowed.
MaximS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MaximS For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #2
highway7

Drives: FRS 2013
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
So I've got an appointment with a body shop to get my front end fixed, but I have to go pick up a hood today from the scrappers. Problem is it doesn't fit in the car. Well I called the local OPP station and was told very sternly I can't drive without a hood. But I was reading the MTO regulations and it doesn't say you can't drive without a hood, no fender isn't allowed, but no hood is OK from what I read.

So that's what makes a vehicle NOT roadworthy. I told the lady politely I think she's mistaken so she got the traffic Sergeant and he confirmed it's LEGAL to drive WITHOUT a hood. I just wanted to clarify that for anyone in case someone needed to make a small trip to buy a hood or whatever, because the way it's worded almost makes it seem like it's not allowed. But if you read it again it becomes clear that the LATCH can't be damaged in a way that would risk the hood flying off or coming up and breaking the windshield. No hood itself is allowed.

So you're going to pay out of pocket to fix your car instead of just paying the deductible? What is the quote?
highway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
wbradley
Sarcastic SOB

Drives: '13 FR-S M6, '23 Volvo V60 CC
Thanked 2,844 Times in 1,635 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Garage
Kills the aero but great for cooling. ��
5:AD kit, HKS V1+ S/C, ECUtek dyno'd, Ohlins MP20, Magnaflow cb, Revworks UEL, Topspeed overpipe, Pinnacle Ceramic tint, VG shark fin, HID's, yellow DRL's, full LEDs, red floor lights, Homelink mirror, trunk lid liner, Perrin LWCP, Valenti smoked, Flossy Grip Tape Shorty, GT86 plaque, lighted vanity mirror, Michelin PSS, Project mU +800, DOT4 fluid, 720 Form GTF1 17x8&9, stitched leather bits, EZ valve.
wbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway7 View Post
So you're going to pay out of pocket to fix your car instead of just paying the deductible? What is the quote?
I got a hood and headlights for $250, so with that total about $3700. I would pay more in insurance premiums over the next 2 years...
Old 07-09-2018, 11:18 AM   #5
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximS View Post
I got a hood and headlights for $250, so with that total about $3700. I would pay more in insurance premiums over the next 2 years...
Just curious how you got them so cheap. I was looking for a spare hood last year but couldn't find anything in acceptable shape for less than $450 asking price and that was just the hood!
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lynxis For This Useful Post:
Turbo (07-09-2018)
Old 07-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #6
MaximS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxis View Post
Just curious how you got them so cheap. I was looking for a spare hood last year but couldn't find anything in acceptable shape for less than $450 asking price and that was just the hood!
I got super lucky on Kijiji. Apparently the guy has a pretty well modded white FRS/BRZ (I'm not sure because my buddy picked up the hood and headlights on his way to meet me) and he was just getting rid of his OEM hood and headlights. Local classifieds for the win.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaximS For This Useful Post:
Lynxis (07-09-2018), wparsons (07-12-2018)